Hip Resurfacing New hip on September 23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had my 3rd pt session today.rode the exercise bike for 5 mins. Then got on the treadmill after doing a couple laps around the room.walked for 2 mins on the treadmill with my good leg standing on the side rail and walking with my new hip side. Then on to the bed to do my exercises. Raised my walker up to the right height for me so I'll use it as an aid rather than a crutch. Using it too much to support my weight when I step on my left leg. Need to get more confidence that the leg will hold me. Pain is very minimal today.slowly but surely gonna make it thru this.
 
@dubld1 You are making it work for you. Well done!
Just keep going slowly forward, and it gets better each day.
 
Sounds like you are doing great for a resurfacing. I looked into that for myself, but I found a surgeon who does anterior THRs instead, since resurfacing is more suited apparently for younger patients -- you are 50 yo, I am 68 yo. I think the theory is that a resurfacing leaves much more bone, so that the 'next' hip replacement after 30 years will have much more bone to work with. Also, I believe you will eventually be able to be more active with the resurfacing. At least in theory, since my surgeon told me to do anything I wanted, including downhill skiing.

My friend who had both hips resurfaced had a much harder recovery than you are having; also much harder than my two THRs. But then we are all different.

Good luck!

Mark
 
Thanks mark,
I think you're right about the idea of the resurfacing being used for the younger crowd although I'm really not sure what defines the younger crowd.we all know age is just a number. In my case though I think part of it was my bone structure and my activity level. I am a martial arts instructor and student and i'm not willing to give it up yet, and the dr. Said this my best option to continue although not in the same intensity as before.I think this also contributes to my healing a little faster.that and my wife's great caregiving.best wishes and good luck to you as well.
dan
 
Well its been a week and a half now post op. Feeling pretty good although had a rough time sleeping last night. Still got a lot of swelling in the hip area but the pain is all but gone. Been at the camper this weekend so not a whole lot of room inside so been using the cane instead of the walker.

Doing pretty good but still have a long way to go. Only complaint I have right now is when sitting it feels like I'm sitting directly on the incision. Makes it very uncomfortable but thanks to the ice packs I can deal with it.

Go in 2 days for my first check up with the Dr. Hopefully he'll take the staples out. The bandages have been clean when change them now for 3 or 4 days.

Hope everyone is healing and enjoying their weekend. Sending healing energy to everyone. Thanks for following
 
Only complaint I have right now is when sitting it feels like I'm sitting directly on the incision
That's because you are! The wound is not just where the incision is, but extends roughly 8" in all directions from the incision. Some have described as feeling you're sitting on a brick! Try putting a pad under the outside of your hip so the pressure is taken off your bum!
Hopefully he'll take the staples out.
Yep, two weeks is usually the appropriate time for that. You'll feel like a new man!
 
Staples out. Everything looks good. Xrays look almost textbook. Was told to continue following all restrictions for 4 more weeks and continue PT. Been sleeping well as of late also. And mainly only taking pain meds before bed or when pain is back. Kinda like you would for a headache lol which isn't very often. Been using the cane around the house too. Feel like I'm improving on a pretty good pace, just don't want to make a mistake by getting in too much of a hurry to heal.

Thanks for the advice Josephine, I'll try that.
Good luck to everyone on their journey. It only gets better.
Dan
 
[Bonesmart.org] New hip on September 23
report, @dubld1! Slow and easy wins the race to the recovery finish line. Keep us the good work and next thing you know, your hip will be forgotten.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 
Wow, what a pt session today.2 mins. Walking on treadmill with good leg on rail and op leg walking. Then 2 more mins. Walking on treadmill with both legs. Then to exercise bike for 5 mins. Then on to toe raises, followed by butt kickers using both legs. Then marching with both legs, over to heel slides and straight leg, leg lifts on op side only. All this in 30 minutes. Exhausting considering i'm only 2 weeks out. Thanks for reading. Continued healing to all
 
@dubld1 Just catching up on your thread and very happy to see you doing so much better than the early days. It sounds like you do quite a lot for PT for so early out but seem to be managing it quite well! Keep up the great work.
 
@Carriemay60, hi carrie your story sounds like a very rough road. I'm very inspired reading your daily events and the things you have went thru.not sure I could have kept such a positive attitude. Glad to hear you have such a great support team.that can make a big difference in your recovery I believe. I hope for your continued improvement and am sending healing energy your way. You and all the people here on the forum are a total blessing. God bless
dan
 
Thank you Dan, we just have to face the challenges life throws at us so we may as well get on with it with a smile :)
 
How long does it usually take before you can put full weight on op hip and not feel any pain. Since pt just started me doing this with some of the new exercises i'm just wondering. Guessing at 2 weeks out its not unusual to still feel some pain. Also the I. T. Band is tight and sore when doing the straight leg lifts. Any ideas or advice.
Thanks in advance
dan
 
That's far too much PT, dub. Far too much. Hips actually don't need much exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.
 
Well did my pt today, everything was good. He checked my degree of flexibility to compare with the first one. Today's read was 75 degrees compared to 72 degrees at first time. Also told me to graduate completely to the cane from now on. Got a visit from my daughter and her kids. Pretty good day. God bless everyone
dan
 
Got a question. When you get up from sitting for a time do you limp a little at first till your hip loosens up or is it just me?
Thanx
dan
 
@dubld1 From what I have read here over the last couple of months and my own experience, that is perfectly normal. Likely a combination of mental blocks and a bit of stiffness, uncertainty. It slowly gets better and you find yourself getting up almost carelessly because you are thinking about it so hard :)
 
@dubid1. The start up stiffness & limping went on for some considerable time for me...had to steady myself & then start to walk... After the first 10/12 steps it eased off....I think about 9 months was the time when I got up....no limp & no stiffness! X


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
It's called 'start up pain' and almost everybody experiences it to one degree or another. It shouldn't last too long.
 
Thanks ladies for the info.
next question: how do you keep from doing too much. I feel like I should be up doing things. Always something to do.its hard not doing what you know needs done.
Glad I found bonesmart, I would have messed up without it.
Thanks again for the info.
Dan
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom