Guest viewing is limited

Hip Resurfacing New hip on September 23

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Jaycey, when does the feeling of sitting on a brick go away. Just passed the 4 week mark Tuesday.
Thanks.
dan
 
It can take a few months. Are you icing regularly? Even at 4 weeks regular icing and elevating is still needed to reduce inflammation.
 
@Jaycey, yes I still ice and elevate everyday. The swelling does look like it has gone down according to my wife. Everything else is going great this seems like it'll be one of the last things to disappear. It can be so annoying at times.
Thanks@jaycey, have a great weekend.
Dan
 
I found the 4 week mark the most frustrating @dubld1 . Things seem to progress in leaps and bounds and then taper off a bit. It is very annoying. Truth is there is still tons of healing going on. Just keep doing what you are doing. You'll get there!

You have a great weekend as well!
 
@Jaycey, I think i've already started tapering off. Lol.more like me playing it safe.I know I have plenty of time to heal and there's no sense messing it up.the only thing frustrating for me is I get in a hurry and forget to grab the cane.its starting to become more of a security blanket than anything. But if I don't use it I find myself limping more.

Today was pt day. Everything almost seems too easy. Can do most exercises without any support.I think my biggest challenge is going to be learning to walk all over without the limp. I'm usually fine as long as I focus and don't get in a hurry. Have a great weekend.
Dan
 
I get in a hurry and forget to grab the cane
This is very good news @dubld1 ! The natural transition is when you start leaving a walking aid behind.

But you are absolutely right - continue to use your cane until that limp goes away. When you are tired at the end of the day, use it to help you avoid getting into the habit of limping. I am going through the same thing - I walk like a duck without the cane.

Practice slowly walking carefully placing your heel and then toe on each side. Retraining your gait is a challenge but it does come after time. If your PT is easy ask them to help you with this. Do you have access to a treadmill?
 
@Jaycey, yes we do have a treadmill.we're in the process of making room for it in the family room. I still haven't got the ok to use it at home though.they don't want me getting hurt or anything.so i'll wait till they say its ok. I wish I had a stationary bike though. Could ride that as I watch tv.
 
You could not use the treadmill as you would normally. But PT may be able to give you instructions on how to use it for gait training. No resistance and very slow speed. Check with them or your surgeon. I used one at the gym post LTHR. It really helped me relearn my walking.
 
Hi everyone, what a busy weekend. Finished winterizing the camper, shopping for birthday gifts for the grandson, then to pick up paint and stuff for the rental. Then an evening with friends. All on Saturday. Sunday was the birthday party, then back home to relax and ice.must have been wore out, fell asleep on the couch. Lol. Then todaywas pt day. Kept all same exercises, just bumped up the weight and added time to the treadmill. Then off to work on the rental.
have a great day.
Dan
 
@dubld1 - you are quite active for a guy who is still recovering. Easy does it my friend! Hope you can plan some rest time in with all those activities.
 
wondering though; is it normal to still have the feeling of sitting on a brick at the 4 week mark?
Absolutely! It's the incisional scar through you deep tissues. It will make it's presence felt for many weeks to come.
And this dang tape on the scar, will it ever fall off.
Oh pull them off! There's no magic in them. I have no idea why American surgeons insist on leaving them on till they fall off. In this country we pull them off after about 3 weeks. They get nasty and grubby anyway. Yuk!
 
@dubld1

Dan

Sounds like you are doing really well. I had an anterior and still have some swelling and a hard spot on my butt. My PT calls those hard spots "tone" which loosen over time as everything gets working to capacity. Definitely a frozen type of feeling at times. Just keep focussing on your gait and listen to your footsteps. I count every now and then to myself. Ie. 1, 2, 3, 4.

Cheryl
 
@Josephine, thanks for the advice. Stood in the shower this morning and helped them fall off. Lol. They were getting nasty for sure.

@CanukTriMom, don't those hard spots stink. Don't really notice mine unless i'm sitting in a recliner. When she called them "tone" spots was she meaning that they mark the next spot where we have to retrain.lol.that sounds like a good idea to count the steps. Thats probably my biggest challenge to retrain my walking. Always walked dragging my feet, started this in my early teens. Mom used to yell at me, " pick up your feet". Lol. They had a nickname for mn e at work, sir shufflesalot. Lol. Time to make that go away too.we're moving the treadmill in tonight so I'll be able to work on it more and got a mirror to place in front so I can watch myself. Should help alot.
have a great day.
Dan
 
Hi all, yesterday was pt day. They just keep raising everything. Treadmill at 5 mins. now.exercises all have been bumped up. Have me doing the assisted abduction of the op hip now also. And they added reverse leg curls to the list..
today's not starting out great sitting in er with my mil who has stage 4 cancer and has some unexplained pains. Hopefully they'll figure it out here shortly.
Have a great day.
Dan
 
You do know you have the right to say no, don't you? You don't have to be rude or pushy. Just say "hmmm ... well perhaps I'll give that one a miss for today"!
 
@dubld1

Dan

You are the boss of the dog and pony show! If you don't feel comfortable....don't do it. I would hate to see you overdo it. What are the leg curls for? Are you doing those with a weight on the machine. If it is for your gluts and Hamstrings, recommend side to side sumo steps in a squat position with a resistance band around the ankles.

I really like the fact that my PT has me using red resistance bands for certain exercises as it keeps from overextending and keeps the movement slow and focussed.

Also for the treadmill, no incline and slow speed are required for gait training. You Ned to hear the way your feet are hitting the surface...use the counting method as it will really help keeping it symmetrical.

Cheryl
 
@Josephine &@ canuktrimom, thanks for all the advice and concern for my well being. I will remember that jo. I don't mean to sound negative about my pt. So far I think its what I need. Following my restrictions to a t, and always making sure there's no pain. Just trying to let others know what they are doing for my pt so they can compare.and jo, I will never do something that doesn't feel right. Guaranteed. Wouldn't want to let you and the others down.
Cheryl, yea the curls mainly work on the hamstrings. Would try the sumo step but they just started letting me do assisted abduction. Not ready for the side stepping with resistance yet.my problem is that tge exercises they are adding are ones I enjoy doing. Like the leg press. Was one of my favorite's. Used to do them on leg days with 700 lbs. for 15 reps. I know i'll never get back to doing that but it can't hurt to dream.lol.as for the treadmill it got put on hold since most the day was spent at the hospital waiting on info about my mother in law.but don't worry I will stay slow and focused. Got a mirror so I can watch myself too .
thanks again for the concern.
Dan
 
Well today was another pt day. Went smooth everything seemed so easy.guess i'm excited for tomorrow. Going to the buckeye game with a friend. First time i've ever been to a game there.totally looking forward to it.
have a great weekend.
 
Hi everyone, today marks 6 weeks since the surgery. Found out I can stand for a long time on the hip without any pain. Saturday night at the buckeyes game was a blast. Had tickets in the student section so we stood for most of the game. No problems. Did wear me out since I didn't get home till 3:30 in the morning, made for a long day. Sunday was a rest day. Slept thru most of my Bengals game. But then up to see the mother in law. She's doing better and got some good news how the chemo is working. Still has a rough road but thats a start.
have a great week.
 
Yesterday was pt day. Finally got to do some unassisted side swings.what a weird feeling after 6 weeks of not being allowed to move like that. No pain or anything. Just a weird feeling. Lol. Finally got the treadmill in the house. Walked for 8 minutes first time on it. Hard to believe how much endurance I lost. Used to run 2-3 miles just to warm up before a workout. Still have a week till my next Dr's appt. Hopefully he'll lift my restrictions. Everything is going good. Continuing forward and improving daily. Still using my cane though. Guess 5 years of walking with a limp takes longer than 6 weeks to retrain. Oh well I'll get there in due time.but I am doing a lot better.
Have a great day.
Dan
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom