Guest viewing is limited

THR New Hip -Now bionic!!<

@Cas perhaps ask your GP for a different water tablet? I am sure there are alternatives to what you were taking.
 
Hi jaycey I was on a diff water tablet before op so am back on those. My feet and legs have not swollen as much today so hopefully they are getting back to normal - even if it is slowly! Have been able to move around so much better today and the blue blip has gone - am feeling more positive. If the legs and feet go down will be whooping round the kitchen with joy LOL. I don't use my stick around the house now but still feel I need it as a safety blanket when outside. Still am pleased I can get around without in house.
 
thank you. Slow and steady as you told me. I sometimes feel not as far as others but I want it right and tight with hopefully no complications so will continue with the snails pace! It's teaching me self patience LOL.
 
Slow and steady is really the only way. Your hip is in charge and you can't change that. And remember - every THR is different even on the same person. We all heal differently. You are doing just fine and you are not behind at all.
 
Today is 5 weeks post op and hope I can try driving in a weeks time! Yippee!!!!! Well this morning I finally saw my feet how they used to be after 3 weeks of swelling. It didn't last long as they soon started to fill up again as soon as I was up but it fills me with hope that they are eventually getting back to normal!! Have loaded and unloaded dishwasher this last week, swept floor in kitchen ( large one LOL ) and left it in a heap for my daughter to pick up. Folded and sorted my clothes that she had washed for me, and prepared some meals. The only time I need my stick ( cane ) indoors is when my back feels really bad. I suppose the muscles are all out of sync after two/three years of increasing pain and limping. ( The doctors all told me I didn't need a new hip as xrays showed it was ok and the pain was coming from my back. It was only when they did an MRI that they saw that all the back and most of sides in hip joint cart had worn away ). Hip feels heavy and a bit sore around muscles but am on paracetamol and brufen and off the really strong painkillers. It's getting better folks. Pain level 2-3 - wow instead of +10 before op.
 
You have really turned the corner @Cas . Yes, you probably walked all wrong for all those years. It does take its toll. But now that you have that shiny new hip things should balance back into place.

If you continue to have issues with your back, a good physio with expertise in spinal issues might help. I worked with one post LTHR for the same reason and it was really beneficial.
 
thanks for that. I know a really good PT and am going to see him in January for my back.
 
PT needs to be a back specialist. There are tons of PT out there that try and give everyone the same exercises no matter what the problem. Good specialist PTs are gems - usually more senior members of the team who address specific issues. You may not need this but it's good that you already have someone lined up.
 
Hi yes the PT is an older man and is very good with injuries of back and spine. Today tided Kitchen, prepared evening meal for my daughter and emptied Washing machine and dishwasher and put away, made bed. Back is more a problem than hip at mo LOL! I can't wait for feet to go down as I haven't had shoes or boots on yet and have to go every.where in my slippers. Nothing else would go on my feet - even tried buying new extra wide shoes but they were no good either and as the paths and tracks around here are all muddy I've been stuck walking round house and old stabled courtyard. Still I feel I'm making progress so can't complain - just have to keep at it.
 
Well another day another dollar as they say. Weekend was an up and downer. Went out on Sat to the shops and think I overdid it a bit! It was just soooo exciting to actually be out amongst the xmas buzz. I must have walked for 3-4 hours with coffee breaks between. Anyway paid for it next day with aching leg and pain in buttock. Rest, elevate and ice. Now better again this am but have learnt my lesson the hard way LOL. Am doing a bit more housework now Loading and unloading washer, Sorting out the study which had become a dumping ground for me over the last few weeks - sorry just put stuff in there to deal with later like xmas prezzies, mail, clothes etc. At least I could shut the door on it LOL! Dare I say my feet and ankles are nearly back to normal size? Keeping fingers crossed and touching wood. Am still sleeping with feet elevated in bed and when sitting down in the evening so here's hoping. I find it easier to be up and about and doing when at home cos when I get a bit tired I can take time out with a cuppa and a crossword then get going again it's not the same when out and about so will have to work out some kind of strategy. Am feeling so much better emotionally - it certainly is a roller coaster ride - up and down days' emotionally and physically but worth it. Have a nice day folks. Onwards and upwards.
 
As I have always said, recovery is like a roller coast ride. Just hang on tight!
[Bonesmart.org] New Hip -Now bionic!!<
 
That's great news @Cas. That fairground ride is one we all share so don't ever feel isolated. Glad to energy your swelling has reduced. Keeping those toes up as often as possible is key. I find my energy levels fluctuate but slowly and stedily improve. Whereabouts in Yorkshire are you?
 
Hi @Cas. You are doing really well! Can't believe you've been walking for 3-4 hours, well done you. Yes it is a bit of a roller coaster although I am still on one of the children's rides haha. For me it is not really the hip pain, it is my knee that struggles with walking and it has already been replaced!
Are you still tired? I am sleeping brilliantly, too brilliantly to be honest as I don't even wake up when my husband goes to work at 8.00. When I do wake up I am very disoriented and don't know where I am. And I can sleep in the afternoons as well!
Off to the hospital tomorrow for my 6 week check up so I will give an update when I can. So pleased you are doing well and I hope you have fun with the Xmas shopping. I am watching your thread x
 
@Miss Muffet Hi there I am in East Yorkshire about 40 mins from Bridlington on the edge of the wolds. Still got Buttock pain but hey-ho it's got to go sometime. Hoping I can drive on thursday as that's my 6 week mark and I have to drive myself to OS on 21st Dec. Still suffering a bit from Sat but was worth it LOL !
 
@HorseyLady Hi I've only walked that much once and was so excited I didn't realise how long I'd been out ! Still paying for it today but no doubt it will get better. My knees are also tight behind kneecap especially the right as I think that may be next on the agenda but hopefully not too soon. I have pain in buttock too - it comes and goes. What a roller coaster - one day we feel great and the next we go back a few steps. Am still wearing the red penguins as feet are still too sollen during the day - all I need is a reindeer hat and would pass for one of Santas elves ! Good luck with the OS let me know how you get on.
 
well folks have reached the 6 week post op mark. Got into my car yesterday afternoon to see if I could do emergency stop while I was stationary. All went fine and felt ok behind the wheel so am going out this pm for a short drive ! Wish me luck. The itching in my feet and legs has all but gone but I now have pins and needles in my left foot and slightly numb. Suppose its from a nerve somewhere. The buttock pain has gone but the area around the hip still feels weird - heavy and stiff. It wears off a bit once I'm up and mobile so suppose it will ease with use. No longer use my stick around the house and garden unless my back is really bad and often forget where I left it but need to have it when out - I feel safer knowing it's there if I need it. Am still in penguin slippers but have ordered another pair of boots from the internet. I really need to get out and walk around the tracks but it's so muddy and slippery I daren't go far without proper footwear ! Will let you know how the drive goes later.
 
I now have pins and needles in my left foot and slightly numb. Suppose its from a nerve somewhere.
Could be due to the lower back issues you mentioned earlier. This may settle as your gait returns to normal.

Be sure you are wearing new shoes. Any shoes you were wearing pre-op will have a old wearing pattern that can cause lower back issues post-op.

Please don't worry about getting your walking in. That will come. Enjoy your drive today!
 
@Jaycey thanks for that info. Was getting worried about the not walking too far bit although I'm walking loads round the house and when I go out at weekends with my daughter. Really need new shoes - there's no fear of wearing old ones as none fit over my feet but am sure I'd be better in proper shoes instead of slippers! Thank you for all your support and help.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom