THR New hip, new beginning.

I ditched my frame last week (3 weeks post op). I thought I'd be on it forever but suddenly I just went nope and used the cane. I can hobble without the cane but prefer to use it until I can walk without looking like Walter Brennan in The Real McCoy! Let us not cease to celebrate the advances we make! I remember last year going to a wee outdoor market and being suddenly felled by a crippling pain, or nearly fainting on a busy urban street last summer - my body exhausted with constant pain. Yesterday I went for a short walk by myself - a first - and then sat with extra cushions on the kitchen bench (my favorite former perch) and ate a meal with the fella. Sweet. I know you'll do well because you have a positive attitude. Keep icing and elevating!
 
@sammylou99
Oh no how scary! Glad you didn't dislocate your hip. I do feel very wary of that.
Great to hear your progress is going very well. Yes the pains now are all surgical so very different from before.
 
@labanan
Great to hear your progress, all of this is encouraging, well done you! Yes a positive mind is important, that was the last thing my surgeon said to me when I left the hospital.
 
Hi Minnie, it sounds like you are making good progress. I have no idea about the crutches since I was given a walker to use. I have now moved from that to a cane. I feel my gait is good and no limp and no pain which is great! It must have seemed good to get outside. When the PT comes tomorrow she will remind me how to do the steps to get outside and how to get in our pickup truck. That will be just in time as I have a dr appt on Wed. Once she shows me the steps, I should be able to get out if the rain here ever stops. It has been raining just about every day since I got home. It's good to read of your progress.
 
Hi @Minnie15

Yes, seems to be going fine thanks. I did wonder whether it was good/bad to have been through it before and I think on balance it's good, particularly as my "old" hip, ie the one I had last year, is strong.

The current op was only five full days ago, so early days yet, but I am trying to be good. My wife has already told me that I am a better patient this time around!

I think we all go into questioning mode, especially in the first couple of weeks, but I am so pleased to have taken the plunge.

The Jazz Festival is great. It's always the early May Bank Hol and we always go to several events - but not so many this time due my operation last week. We did a couple, including an American singer called Valerie June, who was excellent!

Peter
 
@Minnie15 good morning. Just checking in to see how you are doing? Is your mom still with you? At my house this morning her in NE NY state it is snowing! Can you believe it? I don't think there will be any accumulation but we've had at least 10 rainy days and now snow so I'm more than ready for a little sunshine so I can step outside and walk in the driveway or maybe sit in the porch. All is well,with me but just wondering about you.
 
Hello @GrannyC
Snow! Can't believe it! It's really warm here today in Bristol (South West Uk) and I've been sat in the garden thinking that my arms are going to get brown but my legs will be lily white wearing these stockings!

I'm doing ok thank you, finding it easier to get my leg up on to the bed and my foot swelling has gone done loads.
Keeping on top the pain with the meds.

Yes Mum still here think she's worn out already!
Glad you're doing well. Keep me posted
 
@PS46
Glad to hear you're a good patient! How's things today? It must be strange having had one hip done knowing what lies ahead in the recovery stages.

I'm already finding it difficult doing very little around the house! Nice being waited on though :-)
 
It's all relative @Minnie15!

Yes, it is a bit strange I must say, but the key difference is that my "good" leg is actually good this time! :smile2: It can help put some of the early frustration into context too!

Great weather in Gloucester the last couple of days as well - hope to go outside for another gentle walk tomorrow

Keep up the good work
Peter
 
@Minnie15 how are you doing? I guess as time goes on we will probably post less and less.

Tomorrow I go for my first postop checkup so I will see what they say. I think I'm almost ready to walk without the cane but I want to ask first.
 
@GrannyC
I'm doing well thanks.
Wow we have to wait 6 weeks until we go back for an x-ray and review with the surgeon! Let me know how you get on today.
I'm still on two crutches but could use one easily but not pushing it. My leg feels strong and balanced though.

Mum goes home Sunday so that will feel strange, back to being on my own when little man is at school. I've plenty of friends around so booking in visits and their offers of help.

How's the weather??
 
Well, we had snow flurries off and on all day Mon along with a little rain so rather dreary. Yesterday cloudy and in the 40's so still cool but FINALLY today the sun is out! Yeah!!

I go to dr today and see a PA and then I'm not sure when I go back again after this. I have my list of questions all ready to go this afternoon. Big time difference between me and you - probably at least 6 hours. I started a book yesterday and that went well. It was nice to read instead of watch tv.
 
15 day post op update.

Had my wound dressing removed today to reveal my neat scar, quite proud of it!
Feel good, trying one crutch today and off the strong pain killers. Swelling gone completely.

Hip feels strong and if I could just get a bit more sleep all will be well!!

My Mum had her hip done 9 months ago and I just watched her fly up and down stairs, she's a good role model in more than one way!
 
Hi friends
I've been doing really well with my recovery and my Mum returned home on Sunday. I'm managing ok on my own with my son being a star helping out where he can, however in the evenings I start getting quite panicky, heart palpitations, muzzy head and tearful.

Normal I guess? I have read about post op blues.

My home situation changed as my earlier posts mentioned so that's not helping but just don't feel myself. I've had lots of friends visit in the day which has been great.
Thanks for listening.
 
I really can I really can't offer any thoughts on the panicky feeling, heart palpitations and tearful feeling in the evenings. My only thought would be that you mentioned having friends stop by during the day so maybe in the evenings you feel more alone and blue. If that is a possibility, maybe you could try calling someone later in the evening, especially after your son goes to bed. It might be good to have someone to visit with.

Overall, it sounds like you are doing well though. It's pretty amazing to think how we felt about 2 1/2 weeks ago and how we feel now. It makes you realize how far we have come in a relatively short time. And how great is it to be rid of that OA pain!!
 
Thanks @GrannyC yes I will do, it's just all quite a lot to deal with at times but I'm getting there. I have great support around me and on here too.

I know I totally agree, the improvements every day are amazing I'm proud of myself. It's funny how I sometimes feel that I'm going to get that nagging arthritic pain back, your brain and body gets accustomed to it and it certainly became normal. Now I'm adjusting to the 'new normal' and that's amazing.

How's your recovery?

x
 
in the evenings I start getting quite panicky, heart palpitations, muzzy head and tearful.
Post op blues coupled with the personal trauma you mentioned earlier. It's bound to get you down.

Come here and post when you feel panicky - lots of members going through the same feelings. We understand and will support you through this!
 
Thanks @Jaycey appreciate the support here. It's just felt quite over whelming at times. Restrictions and hip precautions are quite tough but I know it's temporary and I also know from reading your advice that any little ache or niggle will eventually go. I'm actually doing really well and really pleased with how much I've progressed and hip feels strong and after all the worrying about having an 'implant' in my body...I can't feel it AT ALL :-)
 
Hi Minnie,
Well done you! Glad to hear that you are feeling so much better physically. Emotions get to us at the best of times in this recovery, and you've had a lot more on your plate than many of us. You really are doing great, so focus on the Summer ahead and all of the activities you'll be able to do with your son by then!
Take care of yourself,
Diane x
 
@Delphi
Thanks Diane. We're both suffering with sore throats and coughs now :-(
The hip is doing great whilst it feels like everything else is falling apart!

Yes focusing on the summer and hopefully sunshine. x
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom