THR New hip, new beginning.

Wrap any ice pack in a tea towel and apply it directly to your incision or anywhere that feels swollen. Most hospitals don't talk about ice. It's an extra job for them to switch out ice packs for you while you are there.
 
@Minnie15 yes I'm in UK - 10 weeks post op!! There is a light at the end if the tunnel!! Your leg will ease up by the end of your first week. Very strange feeling at first!! I used ice on wherever it hurt - ranged from buttock to hip to thigh - just moved it around. Wrapped it in a hand towel so no chance of freezer burn!! You will feel better just getting back home! Did they not give you a waterproof dressing? Mine was covered with a waterproof dressing so could shower from day 2. I got spares from Tesco pharmacy. You could ask the nurses maybe?
Hope you have an uneventful trip home!
Sam xx


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
You sound very positive @sammylou99 it's really good to hear! Yes I'm sure it's waterproof I'll check though and see what I can get to go home with.

Thanks for your help x
 
They should include shower instructions when you are discharged. I have a clear strip over surgical site and could shower now if I wanted. I'm not tomtake bandage off until dr visit on 5/10 and they will remove it. Problem is I have show in my tub and not sure how to get in so PT will show me tomorrow. If they don't mention it, make sure you ask before you leave hospital.

You will be glad to get home as you sleep better. Log leg improves very slightly daily. PT did point out leg moves better without my slipper socks rubbing on sheet. I still use band though to move my leg off bed. My surgery date same as yours. Main difference seems to be I use walker and you use crutches.
 
@GrannyC
Thank you I'll check with nurses. I know I can only shower in a walk in shower which I don't have, only have shower over bath but luckily my neighbour has one.
I'm looking forward to a log free leg!
Keep me updated on your progress. My little dog's gonna go nuts when I get home! x
 
I still have the log leg, too. I think it gets a tiny bit better each day. My husband got out dog back yesterday. She is a lab and large so I wasn't sure about that initial meeting but it was fine. I was on couch with walker on my surgical side along with a couple,pillows over my leg in case of a problem but she was very good and came and sat at my good side for me to pet her. She stays well out of the way of the walker so we will be fine. Off now to post on my thread for today. Keep up the good work.
 
I still have the log leg, too. I think it gets a tiny bit better each day. My husband got out dog back yesterday. She is a lab and large so I wasn't sure about that initial meeting but it was fine. I was on couch with walker on my surgical side along with a couple,pillows over my leg in case of a problem but she was very good and came and sat at my good side for me to pet her. She stays well out of the way of the walker so we will be fine. Off now to post on my thread for today. Keep up the good work.

Had hip # 2 done same day as you guys and having similar issues .... just started Senekot today have not gone since Saturday may have to ramp it up a bit tho ....Mixolax / prune juice et al ....usually my morning DD ice coffee works perfectly but not now! Pain comes and goes sleeping in chair 3rd night home last night and I got 9 hours sleep yay!! My leg very swollen and tight can't wait till that subsides but I'm soooooooo excited because I'm getting closer every day too a pain free summer with two shiny new hips !!! Such awesome people here I wish everyone well and appreciate all the great love and support!!

Chuckster
 
@chuckster
It's great to share stories! People here are totally amazing I agree.
Ugh the toilet issues, good grief never felt pain like it but it's settling for me now.
My leg really tight too (tight...great description!) especially the knee but it's swollen so guess this causes the stiffness.
First night home for me so wondering how I'll sleep but it's all good and remaining positive.
 
@chuckster
It's great to share stories! People here are totally amazing I agree.
Ugh the toilet issues, good grief never felt pain like it but it's settling for me now.
My leg really tight too (tight...great description!) especially the knee but it's swollen so guess this causes the stiffness.
First night home for me so wondering how I'll sleep but it's all good and remaining positive.

One day at a time Minnie we got this !! I'm lying down now leg elevated /icing trying to get that dreaded swelling down but it just takes time and patience for sure. All set on the bathroom issue the Senekot did the trick yay !! Just laying here picturing the beach and tennis court this summer ( just teaching no playing ) I cannot wait to reclaim my old life again this has been a harrowing couple years. Hope you are doing good and taking it a day at a time !!

Chuckster
 
@chuckster
Glad you're doing well today!
I don't think I elevated my leg enough today as now my ankle really swollen and feels really uncomfortable. I shall be resting more tomorrow!

Beach and Tennis sound perfect!
I love the sunshine hopefully not with these leg stocking things on though!
 
@Minnie15 congrats on going home! After you get settled in a bit, the enormity of it all can catch up and sweep you away, after all, we have a lot of time on our hands! It's anti climatic similar to when Xmas is over, there's been much build up and anticipation (mos, even years of hip pain) and then all of sudden it's just you and your new hip in recovery and real life creeps back in.

Went through something similar on the home front awhile ago and like a thr, it takes time to adjust and recover. It most def gets better and you emerge with renewed strength and wisdom, making room for all the new, good things that most certainly will come your way :SUNsmile:
 
Last edited:
@Horseshoe
Thank you for your lovely words. Yes I've been replying on the other thread as we all had the op the same date.

Feeling ok hip doing well, ankle swollen so trying to elevate. Toilet issues but starting to slowly get better.

Yes it has been grief, roller coaster of emotions but coming to terms with it and hoping my new hip is really a new beginning all round. I'm lucky to have a lot of support around me.
 
@Minnie15 today is a new day and hopefully a better one than yesterday. Does your son go to school during the day? Hopefully your mom is still there to help for a few more days. It is funny the little tiny milestones that seem like huge accomplishments these days, isn't it? Like taking a shower! It's such a big deal but we are making progress and that is what counts.
 
@GrannyC yes he's 9 so at school and mum here for another week, so all ok.
My stomach is starting to settle down which is great. I'm getting a swollen ankle at the end of the day though which is uncomfortable, need to elevate more!

Waking around well so I'm pleased with my progress.
I'm glad you're doing well and like you sometimes I wake early and can't get back to sleep so naps in the day help.
 
Morning all. Day 10 post op and pleased with my progress. Had a little outing yesterday, walked outside for five minutes with my crutches yay!

Quick question, how long should you stay with two crutches before you go down to one? Is it just a confidence matter or would it affect the way I walk if I go to one crutch too soon?

My foot and calf still swell a bit at the end of the day, elevating definitely helps though.
 
Hi @Minnie15

Sending best wishes down the M5!

I had my right hip done in March 2016 and the left, last Tuesday at the Winfield in Gloucester. I had the same surgeon both times.

In terms of when to go down to one stick and subsequently to none, I think you just "know" when To do it. What I did last time was:

Frame in hospital for one day
Out of hospital on two sticks
Then I was taught to walk with two in "Nordic" style, which was great btw
Then I started using one round the house
Then I used just one outdoors
Then I jettisoned it (but kept it in the boot, in case I was in a crowd and needed to wave it around).

You will know when the time is right, but I wouldn't push it.

As I mentioned, sometimes it can be useful to carry a stick. My first big outing last year was to the Cheltenham Jazz Festival - it helped to let people know and without exception, they were patient and courteous and gave me time and space.

Good luck in your recovery!
Peter
 
Hi @PS46 nice to meet a local hipster! I was in Southmead in Bristol. Amazing surgeon who is heading a research trial
for a newish implant that I was asked to take part in. I was so in two minds about having a replacement at all, like a lot of people here but now happy I made the right decision. Always reassuring to hear from the surgeon post op, that what they removed was grim and that I definitely needed it replacing!

Thanks for the advice that's very helpful.
How's your recovery going from last Tuesday?
Jazz festival sounds great!
 
Hi Minnie,
You will know when to ditch the crutches. My surgeon and physio both told me that how you walk (i.e. Without a limp) is what to focus on. So when I was walking well with two I ditched one. Kept the one going for a bit while the muscles strengthened then got rid of that one when I no longer limped without support. I took it with me for a while in case I got tired. Don't ditch the one too soon - make sure you are walking straight and well before you do.
Samx


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Yes it is little steps!! I got a bit carried away at week two and slipped on the stairs (without crutches) ..ouch..and set myself back a couple of weeks. Learnt to slow down a bit then!!
But at 11 weeks I am now doing an hours dog walk, stationery biking etc and each week it's feeling stronger and better. The early stages are slow and sometimes frustrating but before long you will be amazed at what you can do. And without that horrid pain of pre op.
Hope you have a good week!
Sam x


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom