Guest viewing is limited

THR New hip, new beginning.

@Minnie15 so glad you are feeling better. I was a bit skeptical about going home, too, but it worked out fine and I'm sleeping better. Still have that wheezy feeling at times and am not that hungry but have been eating light and small amounts. I, too, had lower blood oressure for nearly 24 hours but since I take bp meds normally, yjis brought my body down mote to a low normal I guess you could say and I didn't take my reg bp meds until later yesterday. Am moving slightly better each day I think. You'll do fine when you go home.
 
Just did two laps of my room on my crutches, whoop!
Feeling a little more confident today
 
Fantastic! Each little step is a great big accomplishment. @Josephine I'm not sure who decides whether you use crutches or a walker. Just curious? I was given a walker and no one ever asked if I wanted crutches. Keep up the good work!
 
Well done on the crutch activity Minnie! As soon as you've mastered the stairs with physio, you'll be on your way home. It does feel daunting before you leave hospital but you are so much more comfortable at home, and you will start to make progress every day. Onward and upward!
Take care
Diane x
 
Thanks @Delphi had a bit of a set back today not my hip, continuing to walk well, I've had major problems with going to the toilet! Horrendous pain so much so that I fainted after I got off the loo. Oh dear and good job my mum was there with me. Feel very uncomfortable and unwell, docs keeping an eye on me and have given me some liquid stuff to help.
Never experienced this before, not nice.
 
So sorry to hear that Jenny. I also had bowel problems. Best things I found to resolve it were warm prune juice, prunes, cranberry juice and lots of fruit and veg. It seems to be par for the course when you are taking opioids. I didn't take this, but lots of people have recommended Miralax. I was about to try it but when I stopped taking OxyContin, it did seem to start getting better so I stuck with the Prune juice!
Probably one of the most horrible side effects!
Hope you are soon feeling better,
Diane
 
Sorry to hear you have had this problem. I was lucky mine was only for a couple days. I ate probably 5 or 6 prunes, several small glasses of prune juice and some milk of magnesia and that worked. In retrospect I wished I had only eaten maybe 2 prunes if you know what I mean but happy it all worked for me. That is a terrible feeling so hope you can get it resolved soon. Sending healing vibes across the pond to you :flwrysmile:
 
Thanks guys just led here trying to get comfortable as I can't sit, it's really horrible. Pads on and feeling really tearful didn't expect this side effect.
 
Minnie 15, maybe you can find someone there to talk to like one of the nurses and ask them to explain what is happening and how they will deal with it so you know what to expect. I find it hard to be "in the dark" and not know the plan. At least then you have a better idea what to expect. It is always good to ask plenty of questions! Just talking about it with someone there will make you feel better. Hang in there!!
 
Minnie, sorry to hear of the set back. The toilet issues are horrible. It took me 5 days at home taking all the suggested things before I went. After that I took MiraLax everyday and never had that problem.
I hope your better tonight [emoji846]


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Minnie so sorry you are dealing with this. I think we all had it to some degree. I was so uncomfortable with it. Miralax really helped me and prunes etc. Definitely one of the worst things to deal with post op as it's incredibly uncomfortable- hope they help you get it under control.
Sam xx


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thanks everyone for your kind words. A little easier today, having prunes with my breakfast. Feel like I lost control of my bowel a bit now, not nice. I'm walking quicker on my crutches though, don't think I'll have much choice today!

My aim today is to have a shower if I'm allowed and wash my hair. Little things eh!
 
If you can shower, that will do you a power of good! My first shower after 5 days of strip washes was pure bliss!!
It makes such a difference to feel properly clean. Nothing ( almost!) more depressing than greasy hair, although dry shampoo does help. Hopefully the bowel issue will now become easier too!
Take care. Do you know when you are coming out yet?
Diane x
 
Great to hear it's a bit better today. Will ease as you become a bit more upright and potter around but keep with the prunes or miralax while you are on any opiates. First shower as Diane says is complete bliss. Almost feel human again!! Lol!
Take care
Sam xx


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Nurses wouldn't let me shower because of the wound dressing? So strip wash and tried this weird shampoo cap which felt nice but not sure my hair looks any better!
Anyway feel much easier going to the loo and surgeon has signed me medically fit...so home in a few hours!
Feel rather apprehensive but it's got be done and I'm sure from reading on here everyone's felt the same.
Thanks everyone. I'll keep you posted.
 
Everything seems a bit daunting at first. Just take things slow and steady. Do you have help at home or a neighbour who can look in on you?
 
@Jaycey yes my mum is moving in with me for two weeks and lots of friends around and my little 9 year old is a great helper!
When does the heavy stiff feeling in your leg subside? Getting leg up on to the bed is difficult.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
When does the heavy stiff feeling in your leg subside?
I call it "log leg". This should ease in the next few days. Everything was traumatised. Ice and elevate when you get home. And be sure and take those pain meds around the clock as prescribed.
 
@Jaycey do you ice over the scar? Obviously not directly on it with a cover. They don't talk about icing here at all.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom