THR New hip, new beginning.

Hi Minnie, I hope both you and your son are starting to feel better. It is hard enough to deal with surgery recovery without having a cold as well. Take care of yourselves and update us when you feel up to it. Sending positive healing thoughts your way...
 
I have a feeling you are still not feeling very good. Just take it easy and get lots of rest. I get wiped out doing almost nothing so I'm sure if you are dealing with the sniffles plus the healing, you may feel wiped out doing absolutely nothing! Just remember being tired can easily make you feel gloomy so don't let that happen. Remember how far you have come in the last 3 weeks and you will see how well you are doing. Everyone here is cheering you on in your recovery and we are all here with support if you need us.
 
Ah Minnie it's so normal. I felt very low at times through the early stages. Mixture of trauma, tiredness and just recovering. You've a lot going on but I'm glad you've got a good support network. You are doing so well. I've just come back from Italy walking 6-10 miles a day in hill towns in Tuscany and the hip was fine. A bit achey by the evening but reckon it would have been without the hip replacement. In a few weeks you will be feeling so much better - so much to look forward to with your son this summer. Take care and I hope you both feel better soon, summer colds are no fun.
Sam xxxx


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi @GrannyC
Thank you for thinking of us. You're right the throat infection and general aching all over hit me for six! Feel a little brighter this evening though and little man is fine now.

Hip continuing to do very well, walking with one crutch now, it feels comfortable to do so and making it easier to move around the house.

How are you doing? Three weeks already!

Thanks @sammylou99
Oh wow walking that far, that is truly inspirational! Well done! Bet Italy was beautiful and warm?

Hopefully start to feel better this weekend and get back on track.
x
 
@Minnie15 I'm so glad to hear you are both feeling a bit better. That makes everything seem brighter. It stinks being sick, that's for sure. I'm doing very well. I can get around now without the cane. I still take it with me if I'm going to walk any distance but don't use it around the house at all any more. I'm not doing much PT each day but find my range of motion seems to increase on its own without much of any help from me. Josephine said I will get that range of motion back without the PT. I will probably do a little PT but not so much that I get all sore and tired out. I sure get tired very easily I've found. All in all I'd say we have both come a very long way since April 27!!!
 
@GrannyC
This is great news to hear! Well done for going it alone around the house. I agree the hip just needs rest and walking it's easy to do more than you should, my hip definitely tells me if I have! Yes April 27th starting to be a distant memory now!
 
Evening everyone! 4 weeks post op tomorrow (Thursday). Can't believe how the time has flown by!

Some advice required on these TED stockings. Can I ditch them now? Everything I read says keep them on for 6 weeks, my surgeon said about 4 weeks. It's warm here today I can't bear it anymore!! I'm very mobile and can easily week for 30 minutes every day now...so any thoughts greatly appreciated before I burn them on the BBQ!!
 
Agree with Joe! and if your surgeon said 4 weeks then that's where you are!!
Sam xx


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
They've been carefully placed in the bin...I am free!
 
I took mine off about a week after I got home. I washed them good and will make doll bodies from them- lovely stretchy! I never was any good at following orders.
 
My dr said 2 weeks and when I went for 2 weeks postop check, PA said I didn't need them any more. Yeah!!
 
5 and a bit weeks post op and I'm feeling fed up. My whole leg especially the groin area is aching like mad, I feel like I've taken a back step as I was feeling very positive.

Is this normal?? I've been walking around the house with no crutches and have one with me when I go walking outside. I think I may have over done it on Saturday, walked 1/2 mile in the morning, hair cut in the afternoon sat down and felt ok then went to a big work dinner in the evening and wasn't very comfortable sat down.

I'm not really taking any medication now but have taken paracetamol today.

Any advice greatly appreciated!
 
Sounds like you over did things on Saturday. You hip is tell you. Rest, ice and elevate. Take some paracetamol. Recovery is all about finding your limits, scaling back and trying again another day. You might want to plan one activity per day and a rest day the next.
 
Thanks @Jaycey yes I have to remind myself to do less and enjoy resting and elevating. Still early days I guess.
 
Good to see you again, Minnie. I've been wondering how you were doing. Sounds like all is going pretty good except for the weekend. I have found it is easy to overdo as well. We get feeling so good that it is easy to forget our bodies are still healing. I will say that I don't think I could walk 1/2 mile. I didn't walk much early on except around the house but last week we started going out for walks and I find my hip starts to ache a bit before I go very far. I can ride the bike comfortably for 10-15 minutes with no problem but I can feel the walking. I guess I should have started walking sooner but I'll get caught up eventually.
 
Hi @GrannyC how you doing?
Hope everyone here is ok and enjoying their new shiny hips!

Time is flying by. Had my six week check and X-ray with my surgeon last week and he's pleased how the implant looks, how my scar is healing and my general strength and progression.
Walking without aids around the house now but still take one crutch with me outside.

My range of movement is improving daily, however I find on standing, that lifting the knee up I can only go to a certain point and it feels like it's stuck! I was told this will improve over time. I'm impressed with some of the gentle floor strengthening exercises I struggled with pre op, I can now do with ease and with no arthritic pain. Hooray! I keep being told how well I look which is always nice to hear.

Home life situation slowly settling down. Was my wedding anniversary yesterday so a sad day but feeling calmer in general.

The sun is starting to appear here which is always pleasing, so it's good to be in the fresh air and enjoy the walking outside.
 
Good luck Minnie & Chuck! There is light at the end of the tunnel.....it is a long journey but so worth it!
I am 7 months post (L) hip & 3.5 weeks post (R) hip. I feel like a new (sane) person & you will too very soon!
:dancy:
 
Minnie, it sounds like you have come a very long way. I'm so glad to hear how well you are doing. It's hard to believe that tomorrow will be 7 weeks since we had our surgeries :wow:

I am doing well, too. I just posted about my six week check in my thread and I tagged you. I am not using my cane any more except for longer walks. I, too, can still feel the tightness in my thigh but I think if we work on gradually stretching that a bit more, we will get at least some of our range of motion back.

I assume schools in UK are on a similar schedule to the US with summers off so with your son home soon (or maybe already), you will have plenty to keep you busy and to move on with your life. Try to stay positive for your son and enjoy the summer time together. It could be fun. Take care .....
 
Hi @Minnie15 - pleased to see your six week check went well. I had mine a bit early, last week and it was fine. Cleared to drive, jettison raised toilet seat etc. Ditto re stick, ie stick free at home and take one with me when we go out

Talking of which .... it's glorious up here today too and we had a lovely walk around Cheltenham this morning. Do you live in the middle of Bristol? We go down to Clifton quite often - love it!

Best wishes for your continuing recovery

Peter
 
Back
Top Bottom