See you in recovery soon! I'll leave your recovery articles here for you to refer to:
Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.
We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.
All went well however currently in a lot of pain and can't move my thigh around just feels like a ton of bricks. My blood pressure keeps dropping and I've fainted twice. Doc did ecg and all checks and thinks just surgery trauma.
You've done it!! I hope they get your pain under control. I think many of us had low blood pressure post op. Mine stabilised on the next day but it wasn't a nice feeling. Log leg will continue for a bit but does go eventually. You can use a leg-lifter or get pt to show you how to use a crutch to help lift the leg. Hope you got done sleep.
Sam xx
Hope you are feeling more comfortable by now Minnie. Make sure you are getting sufficient meds to contain the pain. Hopefully today will be a bit easier for you,
Diane
Hi everyone so feeling in less pain now the muscle spasms are slowing down but strong meds helping. Was sick again last night and blood pressure still low but starting to improve.
Can move my leg now and waiting for physio to help me get out of bed..scary thought!
Glad things are settling. Don't be pressured to do anything if you are not feeling well. The trend is to get patients up and moving so you can go home and they have the bed. If you are not ready just say so!
Tell The physio you were sick and your worried about the dizziness.
Even if the physio knows its still no harm coming from you.
Tell him/her you just want to stand up first if your apprehensive about walking.
Might be a good start. Then a step maybe.
Its daunting now but doable.
Well done so far.
Everything will pass.
Joe.......
Good luck with the physio. I had low blood pressure too and made it very clear what I could and couldn't do! The walking will be fine once you are ready although the thought of it is scary!!
Take care and don't overdo it!
Sam xx
I walked a few paces with the frame to the chair, felt so weird.
Had few mouthfuls of food and then threw up everywhere :-(
Back in bed now!
Leg spasms dying down now and blood pressure coming up a little.
@Minnie15 ask for anti-nausea medication. I can't take any heavy duty pain killers without anti-nausea meds. They make the whole experience SO much more comfortable.
@Minnie15. My surgery was same day as your. I felt a little nauseous on 4/27 when they got me up to walk but it went away after I rested. Then yesterday morning after breakfast they helped me get dressed - sweatpants and tshirt. At that lint the only pain meds I had were Tylenol. I was feeling rather nauseous as nurse was helping me into wheelchair to go to PT so I told her. Once we got to PT, she old therapists I wasn't feeling so good so they started with a couple exercises in the wheelchair. They asked if I wanted to try walking and as soon as I said, yes, I changed my mind and said I couldn't do it and then I got sick. Luckily nurse has given me a bag to take along so I didn't make a mess. Went back to room and took a nap. Then I felt better, had a light lunch and went back to PT later where they showed me stairs and how to get in vehicle. After that everyone said I could go home so I got home about 7pm yesterday. I thought the nauceousness was a combination of taking too many pills on empty stomach in morning (2 by pills, 1 statin, 2 Tylenol plus cup of milk of magnesia), moving around more, and just plain being exhausted. I always feel sick when I am way overtired. Last night I really slept good after getting home and that felt good.
I did start on OxyContin Before I left hospital and am still taking 1/2 tab every 4 hrs. I try to eat a little something before taking it to help with nauseous feeling.
@Minnie15, glad to hear that you made it through things.
My surgery was first on the block as well, I was out of surgery by 9:30, and stuck in the recovery room until 4:30 while I was waiting for a bed to open up on the floor. I also had low blood pressure right off the bat, but it resolved after a few bags of fluid.
One thing I learned is that I have a very definite vasovagal trigger with needles. I almost passed out when I was having my spinal, then again when a student nurse had a hard time finding a vein for a new IV line.
Hopefully your recovery is going well, I've had a very uneventful recovery so far. Things are moving along very quickly, and the past week has flown by!
@confused newb thanks for your messsge. The low blood pressure seems quite common and mine has now come back to normal which is reassuring. I'm taking anti sickness drugs too so hopefully when I try walk again tomorrow it'll be better.
Generally a lot less pain and starting to move my leg around. Glad you're recovery is going well that's great news!
@GrannyC so good to hear you're home and doing well! The thought of going home feels a bit daunting for me at the moment. Not sure how many days before I can but I don't mind.
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.