BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[THR] New hip amidst fire evacuations!

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by otisbeagle, Nov 19, 2018.

1. otisbeagle

otisbeagle member

United States United States
    Thank you, Layla and Mojo333!!

Back home last night, and back to the cheery folks at PT. Feeling good with improved range of motion and strength. Now that I’m walking well, it’s the baby’s turn!!

• Like Like x 1
  2. otisbeagle

otisbeagle member

And Layla, CES is really cool...but far too big. It’s a good thing I can really walk now, because I would have been in deep doo doo a few months ago! They did have a couple of cool items though—like an amazing robotic hologram and a window washing robot. And lots of interesting people.

• Like Like x 1
  3. otisbeagle

otisbeagle member

Hi Everyone!!

Thought I’d give a quick update, so that newbies know what to expect a few months down the road!

In a nutshell, I’m doing incredibly well. I have no limp whatsoever, and my operative leg is getting really strong from all the PT and exercise. I can now hike up tough hills with the jogging stroller, cycle pretty intensively on my stationary bike and do pretty much everything I need to do. My range of motion has improved a lot—perhaps around 90% or more. And now that I’ve hit 12 weeks, I’m allowed to stretch (though I still keep it gentle), and I’m slowly tapering off PT. My scar has flattened out quite a bit too.

Now that I can lift the baby and walk, I almost feel like a normal person!!

Hope all the newbies are all recovering well, and that all your prosthetics last for many decades to come!!

• Like Like x 2
  4. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Thanks for the update. You're doing really well! I'm happy for you.
    As the mom of a one year old I can't imagine going through the motions with a bum hip. Thankfully we're blessed enough to exist during a time where we had "a fix" through THR surgery.
    And to think that at only three months post op you have LOTS of room for improvement as healing continues.
    Wishing you a great week!
    @otisbeagle

5. otisbeagle

otisbeagle member

Layla, thank you so much! I really do feel fortunate that there was a cure for me. It’s crossed my mind many times that I would have been permanently disabled if I had lived a generation or two earlier. And don’t get me started on what would have happened in my crazy labor without modern medicine! So I am extremely appreciative of science and medicine and all the people who dedicate their lives to reparing others’ bodies. Though some of my hippie (not the kind on this site!) Californian friends are distrustful of Western medicine, I have seen firsthand what it can do.

Another sign that I am recovering well: other nagging little injuries are starting to bother me. Three months ago, anything else took a backseat to my hip woes, so I never noticed those other pains and aches!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Cathippy

Cathippy member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    So pleased to hear of your progress @otisbeagle specially the range of motion. Well deserved given all the effort you have put in, well done :wowspring:

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

:happydance::dancy::happydance:
    So happy to hear from you and hear you are doing so well.
    You had such a bumpy start and have managed it all so well!
    Things do keep getting better and I too feel so grateful for this surgery that had allowed me to get my life back.

Big happy dance for you!:happyfeet:

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. otisbeagle

otisbeagle member

@Cathippy How have you been doing lately??

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Cathippy

Cathippy member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi @otisbeagle am doing ok though as my hip gets stronger my hair has been dropping out. Today broke a tooth so sat in dentist just now ! Hip doing great, back variable but ready to get back to work tomorrow :loll:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  10. otisbeagle

otisbeagle member

I cannot believe your luck, Cathippy!! Hair falling out and now a tooth?!? Geez!! I’ve had problems with hair shedding in the past too—hormonal, I assume. When I was about 30, I lost about 30 percent of my hair (had a lot to begin with, so it wasn’t that noticeable), and the only thing that stopped the fallout was Rogaine!! It really did work.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  11. Layla

• Useful Useful x 2
  12. otisbeagle

otisbeagle member

Oh yes!! I was thinking about that. I could start losing hair soon. My uncle (an OB/GYN) also told me that hair loss tends to start about four months after a traumatic event or hormonal change. So, I’ll buy some Rogaine if it happens!!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  13. Layla

:fingersx: With any luck it won't happen.
    Have a great weekend!
    @otisbeagle

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Layla

Happy Three Month Anniversary!
    I hope you have a great week. :SUNsmile:
    @otisbeagle

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. otisbeagle

otisbeagle member

Thank you, Layla!! Things are very good. So far, I’m holding onto my hair (though my face is breaking out a bit!!). Doing some nice vertical hikes with the other moms (with jogging stroller), and my hip feels great! Range of motion keeps increasing.

Hope everyone here is well!!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Layla

Great news! Glad all is well. So awesome you're enjoying some hiking and holding onto your crowning glory.
    May it only grow, right along with the distance of your hikes. Good to hear from you.
    Enjoy the weekend!
    @otisbeagle

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Layla

Happy Four Month Anniversary!
    I'm hoping all is well in your world. I'll bet that sweet young one keeps you hopping.
    Let us know how things are going when you have time. Would love to hear.
    Warm wishes for a wonderful week! :SUNsmile:
    @otisbeagle

18. LAbabymama

LAbabymama member

Hi OtisBeagle! Don’t know if you’re still checking in here, but another member pointed me towards your thread and I’ve really enjoyed reading it. I also live in Los Angeles and am 5 weeks away from a LHR. We’re about the same age and I will have a 9-month-old and 4-year-old at the time of the surgery. I’ve been very nervous about tackling this surgery with two little ones, but I’ve found your posts reassuring. I hope my recovery goes as smoothly as yours. I’m wondering if you have any tips for caring for a baby during recovery? I will have lots of help and am planning to hold off on any lifting for six weeks. But I’m secretly hoping I’ll be able to feed and change my baby a little sooner than that. Would appreciate any advice you can share. Thanks so much for sharing your journey!

19. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Yes @otisbeagle :happydance:
    Let us know how you are.
    LAbabymama could sure use some tips!

20. otisbeagle

otisbeagle member

Hello to all!!
    Congratulations, LAbabymama, on deciding to get a new hip. I doubt you’ll regret it!!

In my case, I was able to lift the baby much earlier than 6 weeks—more like 2 weeks out, and then pretty confidently at 3 weeks. If you have in-home PT (and you probably will), then ask the PT to give you tips on navigating your specific home with the baby, stairs, etc... I found that it helped to stand the baby before lifting him. I generally carried him (as little as possible, of course, as he was almost a year old at the time!!) on the opposite side of my operated leg (so carried on the left, and had a right hip replacement). The PT said that this created a good counter balance. Also, it took me awhile to feel comfortable getting in the ground with the baby. I tended to use an ottoman or something to help me up and down.

Today I’m 4.5 months out, starting to jog and play tennis a bit, strength training and hiking all the time. Did outpatient PT until just a few weeks ago, and I still do lots of exercises on my own. In my case, PT was extremely helpful, and I feel so strong now! My range of motion is now excellent.

Now my little guy walks and runs, so I think I timed the hip replacement well!!

I’ll check this site again soon, so feel free to ask any and all questions. Who is doing your surgery?

Cheers!!

• Like Like x 2