THR New hip amidst fire evacuations!<

Thank you, Layla and Mojo333!!

Back home last night, and back to the cheery folks at PT. Feeling good with improved range of motion and strength. Now that I’m walking well, it’s the baby’s turn!!
 
And Layla, CES is really cool...but far too big. It’s a good thing I can really walk now, because I would have been in deep doo doo a few months ago! They did have a couple of cool items though—like an amazing robotic hologram and a window washing robot. And lots of interesting people.
 
Hi Everyone!!

Thought I’d give a quick update, so that newbies know what to expect a few months down the road!

In a nutshell, I’m doing incredibly well. I have no limp whatsoever, and my operative leg is getting really strong from all the PT and exercise. I can now hike up tough hills with the jogging stroller, cycle pretty intensively on my stationary bike and do pretty much everything I need to do. My range of motion has improved a lot—perhaps around 90% or more. And now that I’ve hit 12 weeks, I’m allowed to stretch (though I still keep it gentle), and I’m slowly tapering off PT. My scar has flattened out quite a bit too.

Now that I can lift the baby and walk, I almost feel like a normal person!!

Hope all the newbies are all recovering well, and that all your prosthetics last for many decades to come!!
 
Thanks for the update. You're doing really well! I'm happy for you.
As the mom of a one year old I can't imagine going through the motions with a bum hip. Thankfully we're blessed enough to exist during a time where we had "a fix" through THR surgery.
And to think that at only three months post op you have LOTS of room for improvement as healing continues.
Wishing you a great week!
@otisbeagle
 
Layla, thank you so much! I really do feel fortunate that there was a cure for me. It’s crossed my mind many times that I would have been permanently disabled if I had lived a generation or two earlier. And don’t get me started on what would have happened in my crazy labor without modern medicine! So I am extremely appreciative of science and medicine and all the people who dedicate their lives to reparing others’ bodies. Though some of my hippie (not the kind on this site!) Californian friends are distrustful of Western medicine, I have seen firsthand what it can do.

Another sign that I am recovering well: other nagging little injuries are starting to bother me. Three months ago, anything else took a backseat to my hip woes, so I never noticed those other pains and aches!
 
:happydance::dancy::happydance:
So happy to hear from you and hear you are doing so well.
You had such a bumpy start and have managed it all so well!
Things do keep getting better and I too feel so grateful for this surgery that had allowed me to get my life back.

Big happy dance for you!:happyfeet:
 
Hi @otisbeagle am doing ok though as my hip gets stronger my hair has been dropping out. Today broke a tooth so sat in dentist just now ! Hip doing great, back variable but ready to get back to work tomorrow :loll:
 
I cannot believe your luck, Cathippy!! Hair falling out and now a tooth?!? Geez!! I’ve had problems with hair shedding in the past too—hormonal, I assume. When I was about 30, I lost about 30 percent of my hair (had a lot to begin with, so it wasn’t that noticeable), and the only thing that stopped the fallout was Rogaine!! It really did work.
 
Last edited:
Oh yes!! I was thinking about that. I could start losing hair soon. My uncle (an OB/GYN) also told me that hair loss tends to start about four months after a traumatic event or hormonal change. So, I’ll buy some Rogaine if it happens!!
 
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
I hope you have a great week. :SUNsmile:
@otisbeagle
 
Thank you, Layla!! Things are very good. So far, I’m holding onto my hair (though my face is breaking out a bit!!). Doing some nice vertical hikes with the other moms (with jogging stroller), and my hip feels great! Range of motion keeps increasing.

Hope everyone here is well!!
 
Great news! Glad all is well. So awesome you're enjoying some hiking and holding onto your crowning glory.
May it only grow, right along with the distance of your hikes. Good to hear from you.
Enjoy the weekend!
@otisbeagle
 
Happy Four Month Anniversary!
I'm hoping all is well in your world. I'll bet that sweet young one keeps you hopping.
Let us know how things are going when you have time. Would love to hear.
Warm wishes for a wonderful week! :SUNsmile:
@otisbeagle
 
Hi OtisBeagle! Don’t know if you’re still checking in here, but another member pointed me towards your thread and I’ve really enjoyed reading it. I also live in Los Angeles and am 5 weeks away from a LHR. We’re about the same age and I will have a 9-month-old and 4-year-old at the time of the surgery. I’ve been very nervous about tackling this surgery with two little ones, but I’ve found your posts reassuring. I hope my recovery goes as smoothly as yours. I’m wondering if you have any tips for caring for a baby during recovery? I will have lots of help and am planning to hold off on any lifting for six weeks. But I’m secretly hoping I’ll be able to feed and change my baby a little sooner than that. Would appreciate any advice you can share. Thanks so much for sharing your journey!
 
Yes @otisbeagle :happydance:
Let us know how you are.
LAbabymama could sure use some tips!
 
Hello to all!!
Congratulations, LAbabymama, on deciding to get a new hip. I doubt you’ll regret it!!

In my case, I was able to lift the baby much earlier than 6 weeks—more like 2 weeks out, and then pretty confidently at 3 weeks. If you have in-home PT (and you probably will), then ask the PT to give you tips on navigating your specific home with the baby, stairs, etc... I found that it helped to stand the baby before lifting him. I generally carried him (as little as possible, of course, as he was almost a year old at the time!!) on the opposite side of my operated leg (so carried on the left, and had a right hip replacement). The PT said that this created a good counter balance. Also, it took me awhile to feel comfortable getting in the ground with the baby. I tended to use an ottoman or something to help me up and down.

Today I’m 4.5 months out, starting to jog and play tennis a bit, strength training and hiking all the time. Did outpatient PT until just a few weeks ago, and I still do lots of exercises on my own. In my case, PT was extremely helpful, and I feel so strong now! My range of motion is now excellent.

Now my little guy walks and runs, so I think I timed the hip replacement well!!

I’ll check this site again soon, so feel free to ask any and all questions. Who is doing your surgery?

Cheers!!
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom