BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

[THR] New hip amidst fire evacuations!

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by otisbeagle, Nov 19, 2018.

1. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    Doing great @otisbeagle .
    Do make sure you balance these days is extra work outs with some down time.
    Lots of time to test out new hip!

Hope today is an easy day!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. otisbeagle

otisbeagle member

Happy holidays, everyone!!

Wow, my hip is doing better. After a slightly sore day or two (probably relating to my PMS, which always seemed to heighten my arthritis pain before surgery...wait...arthritis and PMS aren’t supposed to happen together!!), I’m feeling quite good. Today I got up, enjoyed a modest workout at PT, took a long, mostly uphill walk with the stroller and dog, and am now on the stationary bike. I’ll probably do another shorter walk later too. Tons of Christmas baking, writing, piano work and assorted tasks still to be done today. Thank goodness the baby usually sleeps two to three hours in the middle of the day!! He’s been a bit nutty lately—either due to the recent introduction of goat’s milk (cow’s didn’t suit him) or teething. He’s getting five new teeth right now!! And when he bites, it HURTS (he likes to take little chunks out of my thighs)!!

My scar is suddenly looking a lot better. It has flattened out—possibly because the swelling has reduced. And when the PT attacks it, it doesn’t feel as raw as it did before.

I asked my PT about returning to jogging and tennis. He thought that I should probably pick one, so I chose tennis!! We will be doing tennis-specific exercises so that I will be strong enough for that intense lateral movement and the twisting involved in serving. Now I have about six weeks to figure out what to do with the baby while my husband and I play tennis...

I’m finally at the point where I can go somewhere and not stress about how I’ll get from point A to point B. That feeling of freedom is what I have missed (and has been compounded by having an infant!). I hope we can go back to Manhattan soon and wander the streets indefinitely.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mojo333

:heehee: that is what I thought too!

Isn't it grand!:egypdance:

Do you really have to worry about tennis movements this early out?:beg: I shall worry for you...not even two months so slow that roll a Little Bit.
    Let that hip heal.
    You do more than most in a day this early on and are doing well.
    Just don't want you to be great for 2019.
    Bet the baby has a wonderful Christmas..let him bite anything but the THIGH....yikes!:yikes:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. otisbeagle

otisbeagle member

Thank you mojo333!! I don’t intend to play tennis for quite awhile, but it’s fun to think about getting back into it. I am a very, very, very big tennis fan!!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Mojo333

Hope you and yours have a great Christmas.
    Miss having babies for Christmas Day...savor every moment.
    Time does go so fast!:dancing:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. otisbeagle

otisbeagle member

Mojo333, thank you!! The baby got a gazillion presents!! Since my parents only have one grandkid (and they had to wait a loooong time for him), he gets spoiled rotten!!

Among other gifts, I got a wobble board like the one I use at PT and one of those skateboard-style balance thingies (not gonna try it until I’m three months out—way too dangerous). Good times!!

Everything is going well. I’m now seven weeks out, and am able to hike uphill (I haven’t pushed it more than an hour yet), use the stationary bike and do most everything with the baby. The range of motion is better everyday. I can finally sit back on my knees!! Some days I get a little soreness—sometimes in my knees or hip—but it’s nothing major. I think I’ve only reached for ibuprofen once in the last two weeks. Also, PT has been great. My incredibly knowledgeable PT and his assistants have a great attitude, so I actually enjoy going there at 7am three times a week!!

Hope everyone is doing well!!

• Like Like x 3
  7. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I would imagine baby boy was spoiled at Christmas by Grandma and Grandpa being the only grandchild.
    Hopefully lots of toys to entertain himself with. Aaah, I remember those days, tripping over toys that you could put away twenty times a day :heehee: So fun though and they grow up so fast!

It sounds like you're doing really well. Keep up the good work. The New Year should be great!
    @otisbeagle

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Mojo333

Happy New Year and best wishes for a great recovery.

You better NOT get on that wobble board any time soon:no-fin:
    I'm watching you:skep:

New hip...new year...new life!:friends:

• Like Like x 2
  9. Cathippy

Cathippy member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi @otisbeagle
    Note although we had surgery same time you seem way ahead of me. I walk for a minimum of 30mins a day with additional being on my feet and walking round shops or at home. Seem to have graduated off my crutches at home but use 2 when out as my surgeon says 2 x 3mths! Problematic though for me as cause upper body pain. PT now not till 14/1 then just class. No personalised plan here so hoping walking will do it for me.
    Still in awe how you manage baby too. You are amazing :) :-) (:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Layla

@Cathippy
    You're doing just fine.
    otisbeagle has 23 yrs on you and a one year old to tend to which I'm sure forces her to push herself a bit.
    I bet you'll have a great 2019. Happy New Year!

Happy New Year! @otisbeagle
    I hope 2019 brings you all the best! Keep up the good work and stay in touch.

• Like Like x 1
  11. otisbeagle

otisbeagle member

Cathippy, you will get there!! Some people’s recoveries will go super quickly, and others’ take a little longer. But we are all going in the same direction!! Comparisons are a double-edged sword. When I learned that others were experiencing the same pain or difficulties, I was comforted. But hearing about milestones I had not yet reached sometimes led to chagrin. Trust me—I was the biggest wimp about the surgery, was an absolute nightmare on opioids (ask my husband!!) and did not take it all in stride (no pun intended!!) early on. I was a full-on pain in the rear!!

Now things are starting to return to some kind of new normalcy, I can work again and I am starting to exercise harder. Still trying to lose the last five pounds or so from pregnancy (I gained 35, which is a normal amount, but a lot on my shortie frame) and get back into shape. Between pregnancy, postpartum recovery (had an unplanned C section), sudden, intense arthritis and this surgery, I am not as fit as I once was!! So, like everyone else in this freaking country, I’m trying to lose weight in the New Year.

For me, PT has been excellent. It’s a bit like personal training, which I used to enjoy. And it’s pretty cool to have someone to celebrate each little milestone (like being able to hike up a hill, putting on my shoes or doing 30 single leg bridges on my postoperative leg!!). The accountability is helpful too. It’s too bad that so many people have had poor experiences with PT on this site, because it’s been great for me. However, I can easily understand how things might go awry—especially in the early days. And I wonder how much of my progress can be attributed to natural recovery as opposed to PT. Seems like each patient needs to listen to her body and decide (perhaps through gentle trial and error) what’s best. Hips are apparently a simple joint, but there are so many other factors involved in recovery.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Klassy

Klassy member

Oh, oh @otisbeagle . I just popped in to read your thread. What a story! It was so astounding that I started reading it aloud to my husband and I honestly got choked up just reading it. When I thought back to how sad and sorry for myself I felt in the first few days, tucked up safely in my hospital bed with nurses running around for me, and you didn’t even have a room, or a loo, and didn’t even know if you would have a home to go back to. My husband rescued my mood by joking “Well I don’t want to hear any more complaining from you!” Then I got to the bit where you suddenly got the pains, I told him “This girl was struck down with pain while on a phone call to clients so she must have been back working already, AND she was looking after an 11 month old baby, and she was at Day 27 which is pretty much where I am”. Wow! You trooper!
    I’m pleased that things are going well now, and you’ll soon be back on that tennis court (don’t rush it though!).

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. otisbeagle

otisbeagle member

@Klassy you are too sweet!! Honestly, it all seems kind of funny now, as I am so much better. What a drama queen I was on those opioids!! My goodness!! Today I went on a long uphill hike with the baby, hubby and dog. Eventually, it started raining (in Southern California??), the baby started whining and my husband’s ankle started acting up. For the first time in a long time, I wasn’t the weakest link!! Whooh!!
    Klassy, how is your recovery going?? And, by the way, you’re always aloud to complain!! Pain is pain—even in a comfortable setting. Tell that to your husband!!

14. Layla

Aww, I love that, Klassy! She got choked up reading about your calamity. So very sweet.

Great news on your walk and losing your weakest link in the chain status.
    I'm happy for you. It's all good. I'll bet 2019 will be great.
    Have a lovely Sunday and a nice week!
    @otisbeagle

15. Klassy

Klassy member

I’m glad things are going so well you can look back and laugh. It will certainly make for an entertaining anecdote. Along with competing with your not-so-little one for possession of the walker and who was going to be first to walk.

My recovery is going well, thanks! Can’t complain, as the saying goes, but I do of course. Husband was only teasing me, I complain ALL THE TIME. Then he gives me a lovely foot rub and I confess I’ve been milking it and we have a good laugh.

Now you’ve got me singing!
    Seems it never rains in Southern California ... but girl don’t they warn ya, it pours, man it pours!

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. otisbeagle

otisbeagle member

Thanks, Layla and Klassy!!
    You should have seen everyone outside when it rained yesterday. It was a bone-chilling 58 degrees, and people were dressed for a tundra. Even the little foo-foo dogs were decked out in fleece parkas!! I am originally from the east coast, so I laugh at this goofiness (but have become a weather wimp myself).

Off today to Las Vegas for the CES convention with hubby, baby and dog in tow. It’s amazing how much mess we have to lug—travel crib, highchair, stroller, a giant cooler of baby’s organic food (I make all his food out of guilt for not being able to breastfeed past four months!), and 9000 toys. And this is just a 3 day road trip!!

Have a wonderful Sunday, everyone!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. Layla

Love that you do that for your precious little sweetheart. I dabbled in it a bit but then caved to good old Gerber. Thankfully I was able to breastfeed my kids and had / have a fairly clean diet so I guess it minimized the guilt. I'm sure your baby is getting great nutrition.

9000 toys, that is hilarious but so true! My grandma used to tell me to put a bunch of my kids toys away for a month, basically rotate them and the baby will look at them all over again with fresh eyes once you put them back into the mix. Makes sense but I never did it, lol.

Safe travels to and from Vegas! Happy for you that your hip is doing so well.
    @otisbeagle

18. otisbeagle

otisbeagle member

Layla, I love your toy reuse concept—-brilliant!!

Greetings from Las Vegas (aka “Lost Wages”). Today is my nine week anniversary, and things are coming along well!! The best part about this Vegas trip is that I haven’t actually been to the Strip. We are staying about twenty miles away in the hills, with no smoky bars, drunk people or obnoxiousness.

My hip was a tiny bit sore after the five hour drive here (and a lot of exercise the preceding few days). I took it easy that first day, and my hip felt substantially better the next day. It’s amazing how doing less helps it sometimes. (Hmmm, maybe you guys are onto something with the less is more mantra!!)

My goodness is it exhausting trying to take care of a very active baby in a non-babyproofed dwelling (staying in my cool cousin’s spectacularly angular bachelor pad)!! It’s constant suicide watch!! But I’m able to dash about now, which feels incredible. Nor do I have to stress any longer about walking long distances (and hubby always carries the baby if we are going somewhere without a stroller). I still have to carry the baby up and down stairs, or pick him up when he’s gotten into the fridge/freezer/toilet/pantry/cabinets/dog bowl/keys/washing machine, but I rarely have to carry him more than 60 seconds. And, at this point, carrying him doesn’t bother my hip at all. The only issue is that I’m not as strong as I once was—and the baby keeps getting heavier!! Also still working on pushing the stroller down long, steep inclines. Sometimes I feel it a bit in the knees when I do that, but it’s only mild and occasional pain. Uphill is fine, and hiking without the stroller is definitely fine too—even did a 90 minute hike a few days ago with major hills (hubby took stroller). Felt good!!

At this point I sort of feel like I could physically jog and jump, but I’m going to wait until 12 weeks for anything high impact. And I recognize that high impact activities are not great for the longevity of my new hip (or my left hip, which is apparently shallow as well, though I’ve never had any problems with it—yet!!). So, I’ll take it slowly and see. But it definitely feels wonderful to be more functional.

Cheers to everyone!!

• Like Like x 3
  19. Mojo333

What a superhero you are @otisbeagle !:egypdance:
    You sound very well!
    Happy two month hipversary.:flwrysmile:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. Layla

Happy Two Month Anniversary!
    Sounds like you're having fun on the outskirts of Sin City. Good for you!
    I love your posts and descriptions of baby's antics. Brings back happy memories and makes me laugh.
    Caught a few of the new gadgets at CES on tv this week, some fascinating, some silly. I've never been but I'm sure it's interesting.
    Enjoy the rest of your vacay! Thanks for updating on your progress, you're doing really well. :)
    @otisbeagle

• Agree Agree x 1