Cathippy, you will get there!! Some people’s recoveries will go super quickly, and others’ take a little longer. But we are all going in the same direction!! Comparisons are a double-edged sword. When I learned that others were experiencing the same pain or difficulties, I was comforted. But hearing about milestones I had not yet reached sometimes led to chagrin. Trust me—I was the biggest wimp about the surgery, was an absolute nightmare on opioids (ask my husband!!) and did not take it all in stride (no pun intended!!) early on. I was a full-on pain in the rear!!
Now things are starting to return to some kind of new normalcy, I can work again and I am starting to exercise harder. Still trying to lose the last five pounds or so from pregnancy (I gained 35, which is a normal amount, but a lot on my shortie frame) and get back into shape. Between pregnancy, postpartum recovery (had an unplanned C section), sudden, intense arthritis and this surgery, I am not as fit as I once was!! So, like everyone else in this freaking country, I’m trying to lose weight in the New Year.
For me, PT has been excellent. It’s a bit like personal training, which I used to enjoy. And it’s pretty cool to have someone to celebrate each little milestone (like being able to hike up a hill, putting on my shoes or doing 30 single leg bridges on my postoperative leg!!). The accountability is helpful too. It’s too bad that so many people have had poor experiences with PT on this site, because it’s been great for me. However, I can easily understand how things might go awry—especially in the early days. And I wonder how much of my progress can be attributed to natural recovery as opposed to PT. Seems like each patient needs to listen to her body and decide (perhaps through gentle trial and error) what’s best. Hips are apparently a simple joint, but there are so many other factors involved in recovery.