BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

[THR] New hip amidst fire evacuations!

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by otisbeagle, Nov 19, 2018.

1. otisbeagle

otisbeagle member

United States United States
    Wow, I am really walking a lot better now. That day off did wonders!! At this point, I don’t have much of a limp, and walking is starting to feel more comfortable. Still some numbness and stiffness, but I do stairs pretty normally (just slowly and carefully), and for the first time in my life, my right leg does not turn out duck-style.

While we were out Christmas tree shopping tonight, we drove through the neighborhood where we trick-or-treated right before my surgery. I was reminded of that evening, which featured the most awesome Halloween fest ever (in a gated area with full-on cocktail parties for trick-or-treaters!!). But by that stage, I couldn’t even walk a whole block without writhing in pain, so it wasn’t a fun night. Just walking from the car to the store was agonizing back then, and I had to decline most social activities that involved standing or walking. So far, I’m not able to do too much, but I can definitely see the light at the end of the tunnel.

...And I often stare longingly at the tennis courts across the street. I’m dying to play, but between pregnancy and this hip odyssey, I’ve been unable for two long years. Though I don’t intend to jog anymore, I hope to play some recreational tennis once I’m 100% rehabilitated. Are there any tennis players in the BoneSmart community??

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. SwampHiker

SwampHiker post-grad

Nothing to keep you looking in the right direction like a stroll (drive) down memory lane! I'm glad you are feeling some relief from the other day. You'll get to where you're going.

Dr Seuss's Oh, The Places You'll Go
    "You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose."

I hope today is a wonderful day for you.

• Like Like x 2
  3. otisbeagle

otisbeagle member

Thank you, Swamphiker!! You too

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. LdnFizz

LdnFizz junior member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Not back to playing tennis yet... but within the next year I hope. Had to stop some years ago because of my hips. But my surgeon and physios were and are all very encouraging about me being able to return to it. Just before my second hip deteriorated I'd got to the stage where I was about to start hitting balls even if I couldn't yet run and play properly. A friend (who hadn't put his surgery off as long as me and so he was much fitter) returned to playing tennis within 2-3 months of his surgery. I can't imagine that. I was nowhere near capable after the first replacement and still limping on crutches at that point.

But soon I'll be playing again and I can't wait. I might have to accept that I won't be winning Wimbledon.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. otisbeagle

otisbeagle member

@LdnFizz hope you can return soon!! My doc told me that I could get out there and play a few volleys maybe a month from now (if I feel good enough), and then return fully a month after that. But I will make sure I’m super rehabilitated before running around out there—especially laterally. My shorter term goal will be hiking local fire trails with the jogging stroller.

Just finishing up PT. My PT noticed that my mobility has increased big time, so yay!! Things are getting easier, though I still get sore after 30 mins of walking. Will just build up slowly.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hi there, Happy to read you're feeling better. I love that Recovery chart above. It's so simple, but so true.
    Walking, light exercising and taking care of baby is plenty enough at this point in recovery. Still can't imagine!
    Hats off to you. I hope this week is a good one!
    @otisbeagle

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. otisbeagle

otisbeagle member

Thank you, Layla!! Working on it!!

8. Layla

Happy One Month Anniversary!
    Can't believe it's been a month already. Probably blew by for you
    with tending to baby and all.
    I hope you're feeling well and have a great day!
    @otisbeagle

9. hiphoser

hiphoser junior member

What an eventful month in your household!! Hope you are continuing to get along well with your new hip!

• Like Like x 1
  10. otisbeagle

otisbeagle member

Thank you!! I’m doing quite well. Walking much better, range of motion is increasing and my endurance is improving. Also doing some light stationary cycling. Last night I gave the baby a bath for the first time, and it was okay getting down on the ground and on my knees.

Hope you all are recovering well!!

• Like Like x 4
  11. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

So glad you are doing well...happy one month!:egypdance:

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. otisbeagle

otisbeagle member

Hi everyone!!

Things are steadily improving for me. Now I can walk longer (maybe 35-40 mins) before my leg really starts bothering me. Whenever possible, I just do a few shorter walks rather than one long one (at my PT’s urging). Now I can also put on my socks and shoes, though it’s still a bit uncomfortable/slow. In my case, the PT exercises seem to be enjoyable. There was only one exercise that felt wrong, so I said no to that one.

One thing my PT noticed is that my scar has a lot of tissue, and feels keloidy up top. There’s also still a bit of swelling up there, so it looks icky. He has been massaging it (ouch!!), and I have been trying to as well. Also, I am using a good scar gel that my OB recommended after my C section. It’s called Kelo-Cote. Does anyone have any advice for this?? Or does it go away by itself? Thank you!!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @otisbeagle your scar will fade to a thin line once fully healed. I would not massage it as it will only get sore and angry. Just let nature do its thing!

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. otisbeagle

otisbeagle member

@Jaycey That's interesting that you recommend leaving the scar alone. My PT massages it to loosen the scar tissue, and he massages the whole thigh and knee to promote circulation. It hurts like the dickens when he goes over my scar!! Maybe I'll go light. Thank you for your advice.

15. SwampHiker

SwampHiker post-grad

@otisbeagle It sounds like things are going pretty well in your recovery. That's awesome that you were able to get down and give the baby a bath. Things will continue to get better. Maybe not as fast as we would like, but they will get better. I know I'm itching to get back on the trails but won't go anywhere near them until I'm further along. The temptation is too great for me. Hopefully, I'll be knocking out 20 mile hikes this time next year.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. hiphoser

hiphoser junior member

My neice (who is a PT) sent me a YouTube of very gentle scar massage, designed to break up places where the scar has bonded to the fascia. She said that this sometimes makes the scar less painful. My scar is farther along than yours, and I only approach these movements with my fingers very gently, so it doesn’t hurt, but does feel weird because of the nerves which were damaged-send off weird zings and zangs. I’m thinking you should ask your PT to stop for now until your scar is healed further, or at least use a gentler touch. Just my two cents.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. otisbeagle

otisbeagle member

@hiphoser Thanks!! Gentle manipulation sounds like the way!! My PT threatened to use a weird comb type utensil last time. Watch out, Torquemada! There’s a new kid in town!!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. otisbeagle

otisbeagle member

Hi Everyone!!
    Things are going well here (unless you count my brilliant little episode locking myself out of the house while the baby was inside today...). Now I can walk a few miles with no real pain, and I’m even doing hills with the stroller (23 pound baby plus heavy stroller=solid workout!!). I’ve definitely reached a point where I’m more functional than I was before the surgery.

Though my range of motion improves every few days, I still can’t sit back properly on my knees or open my right leg particularly far. My PT said that some tightness when sitting back on my knees is to be expected after anterior surgery. At what point did most people here experience full range of motion?? Just curious, as there are still some (ahem) adult activities in which I cannot currently participate.

19. Layla

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. otisbeagle

otisbeagle member

Hahaha!! It IS kinda hilarious. Thank you for that!

• Friendly Friendly x 1