Guest viewing is limited

THR New hip amidst fire evacuations!<

Thank you, Josephine! Please ask away!

The pain is located around L2F v or W (kind of deep in there, I think).

I have only hit balls on the tennis court four or five times—under an hour of singles but I wasn’t running down balls in a big way. Once this injury started, the tennis bothered it (I think). I started jogging something like 4-5 miles (slowly) once or twice a week a few months ago, and experienced no pain. I’ve stopped running now, though it doesn’t hurt (still have to chase the baby around the park, though!). Squats don’t hurt, and neither does stationary cycling, but most ab exercises like sit-ups force me to straighten that leg. At my worst, I felt mild pain while walking, but now I feel nothing. Just a tiny pinch sometimes when going up the stairs, and a strong pinch when I get into the car or bed.
 
@Josephine
Oops, I meant R2F-W. It’s on my right side (I am a spatial relationally-challenged lefty!!)
 
So here then? Is it only in this spot? It doesn't radiate anywhere else?

[Bonesmart.org] New hip amidst fire evacuations!<



As for your questions, here y'go

It would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are

1. what approach did you have for your surgery? Anterior, posterior, lateral? You can look here to see the various types THR approaches or incisions

2. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't forget to factor in other forms of pain such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness).

3. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

4. are you icing your painful area at all? If so, how often and for how long?

5. are you elevating your leg. If so how often and for how long?

6. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

7. are you doing any exercises at home? If so what and how often?
This is the most crucial question so please help me by using the format I have left as an example
(which means please make a list and not an essay!)

Exercises done at home
- how many sessions you do each day
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.

Anything done at PT
- how many times a week
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.
 
@Josephine

Thank you!! I’m thinking that the pain might also move a little higher than I indicated when I lift my leg high—perhaps R2FV

1. Anterior, Nov 7 2018

2. At this point, my pain is 1 when sitting, standing, stationary cycling or walking. When I get into the car or into bed, there is a quick twinge about level 5-ish. Raising my leg above my knee is probably a bit worse, perhaps level 6. There is some mild soreness in the right thigh and hip, and the right glute feels a little tired lately too. But the soreness has been there all along.

This pain started just over a month ago, and a few weeks ago everything worsened (possibly due to an afternoon of tennis, which did not feel good—particularly at the net). A few weeks ago, I felt more pain waking up stairs, etc, but usually I don’t feel anything walking up the stairs now.

3. Sometimes I will take one Aleve, but I really haven’t found that necessary lately.

4. Haven’t iced at all. It’s not really painful when I’m not contracting the psoas, but perhaps this was a mistake.

5. Not really doing this, and as I mentioned yesterday, I am realizing that the way I sit on a counter stool might not be ideal.

6. High activity level. I have a 19 month old, and I walk and sometimes run after him constantly. Lots of cooking and cleaning, and a lot of moving around.
I never carry him on my hip. Only up higher on my left shoulder, and I try not to carry him much. It doesn’t hurt though.

7. I work out 5-6 days a week for approximately an hour. Before this injury I would do either: stationary cycling (moderate resistance and pace, 60 mins), jogging 4-5 miles slowly, walking on an incline (30-45 mins), a little tennis or strength training. Now I have cut out everything but the cycling and strength training, but I’ve also cut back on many of the exercises. There are too many exercises to mention, but they tend to include:
Squats with a 15 lb kettlebell (on one side or in the middle): x30 (a few sets, usually)
Air lunges - not too many of these. They don’t hurt, but I’m worried they could do damage.
Bear crawls 1min, 3 sets
Crab walks 1 min, 3 sets
Kettlebell swings x20, 3 sets
Lateral walk with band 1min, 2 sets
Stomach crunches x30
Hanging from bars 10 seconds x3

Planks 1 min x 3 sets
Pushups on knees just getting over a chest/shoulder strain, so I’m fairly gentle on the upper body, x20, 2 sets
Medicine ball tosses x25, 3 sets

Before I was also doing exercises like sit-ups, jumping jacks, split squats, occasional rowing on a machine, single leg deadlifts, and skier jumps, but I didn’t think these would be smart with an injury (sit-ups actually hurt because of the leg extension).

I no longer go to PT, but a few of these exercises were originally prescribed by PT (the squats, skiers, lateral walks, and single leg deadlifts).

Hope this is helpful!!
 
2. At this point, my pain is 1, 5-ish, 6.
Okay, that seems good
3. Sometimes I will take one Aleve, but I really haven’t found that necessary lately.
I see
4. Haven’t iced at all. It’s not really painful when I’m not contracting the psoas, but perhaps this was a mistake.
Okay
5. Not really doing this, and as I mentioned yesterday, I am realizing that the way I sit on a counter stool might not be ideal.
okay
6. High activity level. I have a 19 month old, and I walk and sometimes run after him constantly. Lots of cooking and cleaning, and a lot of moving around.
I never carry him on my hip. Only up higher on my left shoulder, and I try not to carry him much. It doesn’t hurt though.
Got it

I work out 5-6 days a week for approximately an hour. Before this injury I would do either: stationary cycling (moderate resistance and pace, 60 mins), jogging 4-5 miles slowly, walking on an incline (30-45 mins), a little tennis or strength training. Now I have cut out everything but the cycling and strength training, but I’ve also cut back on many of the exercises. There are too many exercises to mention, but they tend to include:
Squats with a 15 lb kettlebell (on one side or in the middle): x30 (a few sets, usually)
Air lunges - not too many of these. They don’t hurt, but I’m worried they could do damage.
Bear crawls 1min, 3 sets
Crab walks 1 min, 3 sets
Kettlebell swings x20, 3 sets
Lateral walk with band 1min, 2 sets
Stomach crunches x30
Hanging from bars 10 seconds x3
Planks 1 min x 3 sets
Pushups on knees just getting over a chest/shoulder strain, so I’m fairly gentle on the upper body, x20, 2 sets
Medicine ball tosses x25, 3 setsBefore I was also doing exercises like sit-ups, jumping jacks, split squats, occasional rowing on a machine, single leg deadlifts, and skier jumps, but I didn’t think these would be smart with an injury (sit-ups actually hurt because of the leg extension).
I would impress upon you the recommendation we have which is this

Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

I know you are 7 months out but I think if you stop all the exercises for another 2-3 months, you will find this discomfort/pain will settle down. No exercising: what does that really mean?
 
No exercising?!? Haha!! Oh geez!! 2-3 months is a long time. I have never taken that much time off in my life. I even worked out while pregnant. Do you think upper body exercises and walking would be ok? I just went on the stationary bike, and I noticed that my inner thigh is a bit sore too. Maybe I SHOULD give it a rest!!

@Josephine
Do you think I have psoas Tendonitis? Or something else? Thank you!!
 
Last edited:
@otisbeagle “2-3 months is a long time. I have never taken that much time off in my life.”
My DD was a competitive multiple sport athlete for ten years, culminating in a D3 national championship. All 3 of her sports were year-round, and she did private training in addition to team practices and competitions. Her trainer taught her recovery is also part of training. Every competitive season was followed by a total break, typically for three weeks. These recoveries weren’t setbacks - they were the beginning of the next season’s work, and the precursor to a new personal best. Your current exercise routine and past history suggests that you have an excellent base level of fitness. It’s shocking just how little time it takes to recover a fitness level you’ve once had compared to the effort it takes to establish a new personal best. Based on what you said, you may never have had a chance to discover this for yourself - so I hope this information will be reassuring to you while you consider @Josephine ’s expert advice :) . Best wishes to you as you put the final touches on your recovery, and in your (very) active life going forward!
 
@Ptarmigan
Thank you for the sage advice. You make excellent points, and I am going to take some time off from exercise to see whether that makes a difference. My right inner thigh and glute also feel a bit sore today, so maybe I really do need a break. If that doesn’t help, then I’ll go to the orthopedist. Just hope this isn’t a structural problem (I’ve heard that these sort of symptoms can be psoas tendonitis, which doesn’t always go away on its own). But I am jumping the gun!!

Much success on your upcoming surgery!!
 
@Josephine

Thank you again for reading and commenting. Do you think my symptoms sound like psoas tendonitis, and do you really think they will go away without intervention??
 
Well let me put it this way - most do with appropriate rest and medication.
Only a very few ever need more 'enthusiastic' intervention.
 
Thanks for the advice, Josephine!
I am avoiding all lower body exercise. Just doing some upper body stuff that doesn’t engage the lower body and some light walking (and trying to walk rather than run after our toddler). Also doing a bit of icing now, since it feels good in the heat!
 
Hi @otisbeagle
Felt utterly exhausted reading all the exercise you do on top of caring for your little one...phew :snork:
Hope your pain improves soon with rest!
I would love to up my game but the small leg length differential is really screwing my body up. Legs ache and back particularly on the unoperated shorter leg. Since my first heel insert wore down along with the sole of the shoe I have struggled to get myself level.
Can no longer wear sandals and reduced at the moment to one pair of shoes that cause less pain than any others I have. :beg: keep trying shoes and lifts and hoping will find what I need sometime soon
Good news is depression has finally lifted and fingers it stays away.
Hey @SurreyGirl having a wisdom tooth out week on Monday ! Dont like sound of dry socket

Onwards and upwards...
 
Hi, I avoided the dry socket! Just rinsed our gently with warm salt water 3 times a day and it healed beautifully just before I went on holiday.

@otisbeagle I still get some pain if I overdo it in the gym but nearly a year out I can’t believe the difference pre and post op. So wonderful to be mainly painfree. Concentrating on losing weight now and slowly but surely it is coming off!
 
Oh!! I didn’t understand that it was a tooth issue either!! Hope you’re doing better, Cathippy!

Update: after two weeks of nothing but upper body exercise and walking, I was doing a lot better. Then last Thursday, I tripped up the stairs carrying laundry and badly jammed my hip. So that seemed to set me back, though the pain is still mild unless I throw my leg over a bed or hoist it in the air (geez, I sound like a Rockette...). Now I am trying to do even less, but it’s tough with a little guy who needs to be carried, taken to the pool, chased after, etc. Hoping that whatever the heck I did to my hip last week will improve soon!

Surreygirl, that’s terrific news! So glad your hip is doing well. I had also lost maybe 8 pounds (a fair amount for me, since I’m a shrimp), but I’m worried that this injury is going to make me gain weight. Still, it seems like eating matters much more than exercise for me. Even when I used to train hard, I could still gain weight if I ate too much!!
 
Hi folks!
Just an update: after one major setback (tripping up the stairs, which set me back about 10 days), my hip is doing much, much better. Within the last few days, even hoisting my leg up doesn’t hurt, nor does getting into the car. But I’m going to wait till I’m closer to 100% before doing real exercise, and I don’t intend to run or play tennis for awhile. I’m fairly certain that the tennis aggravated my condition, so I’ll wait on that. Perhaps some light stationary cycling soon...
Thanks to everyone for your ongoing support!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom