Guest viewing is limited

THR New hip amidst fire evacuations!<

Thank you so much, Mojo333. It’s fantastic to be able to do the things I love to do, to walk without pain or limping and park wherever I want. We went to a big tennis tournament for my birthday and had to walk miles to the parking lot. More than anything, the lack of fear was so freeing. I was always worrying about logistics before my surgery, and now I don’t have to fret about such things.

Hope you all are doing well yourselves!!
 
LABabymomma, another thing: your energy level will probably be low after the surgery. Taking care of two little ones will be absolutely exhausting, so try to slowly build back to your normal routine. My parents were here for three or four weeks after my surgery, and I took over responsibilities gradually. Even so, I remember feeling wiped out the week after they left. But a week or so after that, I felt fine handling the little guy full time. With two young ones, it will probably be even tougher, so I’m glad you have lots of help lined up.

Also, our (very easygoing) baby acted a little weird while my parents were here. He seemed obsessed with his dad, and would lose his mind when my husband left the room. Once my parents left, and I took over again, he went back to normal. Kids are so sensitive!!
 
Hi @otisbeagle
It's great to hear from you! It sounds like you're doing so well.
I'm happy you took the time to communicate with @LAbabymama who I just tagged to make sure she
see's your latest post. It has to help her to hear from someone the same age, who recently experienced surgery and can relate to a recovery with very young children.

I like your comment regarding - not only is it great to lose the pain but how freeing it is to not worry about all the crazy things we do as our hip is deteriorating. How far will I need to walk from the car to the building, how many steps will there be, how long will I have to stand, circling the parking lot at stores looking for the closest spot. All Of It! It's such a relief to not think about it all.

At almost 5 months post op, you still have some room for improvement. Awesome, huh?
May it only get better and better for you.

Enjoy the rest of the week!
 
Hi Otisbeagle! Thank you so much for responding to my post. I am happy to hear that you are doing so well only a few months following your surgery. I used to hike all the time before my hip detiorated, and that’s the one thing I most look forward to doing with my kids someday.

I have rheumatoid arthritis, so my recovery will be somewhat complicated by pain in my feet and other joints. I’ve been off my medications since conceiving my first child - hence the bad hip. I’m having my surgery done at Cedars with Dr. Klapper. Who did yours? I tried to get Dr. Yun at St. John’s, but he said I was too complicated a case and not a candidate for the anterior approach. So I’m going posterio-lateral. Not my preference, but I just want it done correctly and well.

Where did you do your PT? I’ve been pre-habbing in the pool in the hopes of building strength, but my hip is pretty shot so any exercise - even aquatic - is tough. I used to be a very active person before my first was born, so I really hope this new hip will help me get back to my old self. I only wish I could’ve done it sooner, because now I’ll be out of commission for most of the summer.

My baby is not yet sitting, let alone crawling. I won’t be able to pick her up easily until she’s pulling up to stand, I think. Who knows when that will be? My 4-year-old is super attached to me. I’m trying to prepare her to lean on daddy more, but I imagine there will be lots of tantrums and tears. Actually, I’m less worried about the baby then I am about her. She’s not going to understand why I can’t do things for a few weeks. At least she’s able to do a lot for herself and she doesn’t run into the street anymore. She’s used to me being in a lot of pain, so I look forward to being in a better mood after the surgery. I can’t imagine feeling worse than I do now, but I guess it’s a different kind of pain.

Anyway, I was amazed by your harrowing recovery story. Glad you survived the fires and that you’re happy with the results of your surgery. Look toward to chatting some more - especially as I enter recovery mode. Thanks again for the advice!
 
LABabymomma, thanks for the kind message!

Yes, my surgery was with the amazing Dr. Yun at St John’s, and the experience was excellent. However, I have heard good things about the docs at Cedar’s (I had a complicated delivery at that hospital, and owe them my life!!). Initially, I saw Dr Gerhardt at the Cedar’s Kerlan Jobe sports medicine unit, and liked him a lot. Dr. Yun has the best track record in town though—and is an alum of my college—so I went with him for the surgery. My case was uncomplicated, though my hip was extremely deteriorated, and I had very little strength in that leg upon surgery.

Incidentally, a good friend (in his late 50’s) has RA, and now has received four new hips. He got the last set recently, and now hikes and plays tennis. You will be amazed at what you can do after surgery!!

It’s too bad you can’t do the anterior approach, but I’ve heard that anterior makes revision slightly more difficult, and we will probably need that given our relatively young ages.

Since I moved to Westlake Village six months ago, I went to Vargo PT in Westlake, where I saw Gene Flores. He is super, but probably way too far away from you, depending on where you live. For the first six or seven weeks, I went three times a week. Since I had hit my yearly insurance max thanks to the surgery, it was free. So I went crazy at 7am three times a week while my husband watched the little guy. Was like personal training!! Loved it!!

By the way, it’s great that you’re asking questions now. You’ll be prepared for the aftermath of the surgery, which will really help you logistically and mentally!!

Please ask any and all questions!!
 
Hi everyone!! Quick update with a question. In general, my new hip is doing fantastically. I walk with no limp, and the range of motion is now excellent. Now I jog a bit and hike quite a lot with zero pain.

For the last few days, I have noticed a bit of mild soreness in my hip (noticed it walking up stairs, etc...). I haven’t done any wild exercising, so it’s odd to me. It’s not bothering me while working out or anything, but it feels just a tiny bit stiff. Do these sorts of little pains come and go? I really haven’t felt any soreness or pain in the operative area (aside from numbness), so I am probably overreacting!

Thank you!!
 
Hi @otisbeagle
It's nice to hear from you. I'm sorry you're dealing with some discomfort. Since you're not quite seven months post op and still healing, possibly some of the activity you're engaging in has caused the onset of pain. You may have pulled or strained something that will return to normal with some icing and rest. If it were me, I'd back off any strenuous activity for several days, with walking as your only form of exercise, but not to excess. See if that helps and if not, we can tag Josephine if you're interested. Stay in touch.
Wishing you comfort...hope you're back on track soon.
 
Thank you, Layla.

That’s good advice, so I’ll take off from exercise tomorrow and maybe longer. It’s extremely mild, so I’m not freaking out (but can’t help a little nervousness). Also, I have been having pretty intense ovulation pains on the same side, so I wonder whether that is a factor. Before my surgery, the arthritis always seemed to flare up during ovulation and menstruation.
 
Hi @otisbeagle
Am at similar stage of recovery as you.
Yes i get aches and pains at times. Hip can feel stiff and can ache more when in bed despite using a cushion. Usually wears off as get into daily activity.
Some of my pain may be having slight leg length discrepancy of cm which i try to even out with heel insole.
Think may need longer and not sure this hip will ever be like old one before it wore out.
Hey @Mojo333 my son back down now at camp 2 having enabled himself and his clients to summit Everest - Wed! His second succesful summit but his mum sure finds it very stressful. Will be able to breathe again once he gets back down to base camp.
We climb the equivalent of our own Everests on here and it takes longer !
Wishing us all healing ..
 
We climb the equivalent of our own Everests on here and it takes longer !
:yes:
Hi, hippy pal @otisbeagle!
I certainly have had times when my hips have for whatever reason decided they wanted a bit a reprieve...well, not hips but leg muscles/tendons/ligaments:shrug:
Still have healing happening so don't try to wear them out this first year.:heehee:
I think if it were me, I would maybe lay off activities with impact involved..like jogging and see if that might help.
Hope all eases soon.:SUNsmile:
 
Hi all!
It’s been a month since my last post, and I’m still feeling those annoying symptoms. They got bad roughly 3 weeks ago the day after tennis, so I have curtailed all impact or exercises that bother my hip (some weight training, light squats and cycling are still ok). I feel like it’s better than it was a few weeks ago, but still not great. Walking isn’t a problem, but anything that requires lifting my leg straight up creates a pinch on the front side of the hip. Could this be tendinitis, and if so, will it go away on its own? I would love to hear what Josephine thinks about this. Hope I’m not going to need a major intervention here, as I was just getting back to a good place!!
 
Last edited:
Hi @otisbeagle
Sorry to hear you're still struggling a bit. Let's tag @Josephine since you're wondering what she she might say about it all. Check back in case she has questions. i hope she has some advice to help you move forward without pain. Have a great Wednesday!
 
Thank you so much, Layla!! I’ve been reading about Iliopsoas Tendonitis, and it has me scared that this will require surgery or many months of recovery. My symptoms sound exactly like it, but of course I don’t know for sure, and it’s unclear how serious it is. Man, I hope this resolves itself...
 
Last edited:
If you are doing weight training, squats, cycling and tennis this very well could be tendonitis. Did you start all that activity at the same time or ease into it? Let's see what Jo suggests.
 
I eased into it, and only ran once or twice a week max. Been doing weighted exercises since PT, which went well for me. But yes, I do a fair amount of exercise that could be taxing that side of the body.

I am also realizing that I sit on a kitchen counter stool a lot (cause I have to keep my computer away from the baby). Could that be bothering my hip? It doesn’t hurt at all while seated, but extending it straight is the issue (getting into bed, in the car, etc).
 
It could if you're not using a proper posture, like this. If you neglect this, you can experience significant aches and pains all over the place.

[Bonesmart.org] New hip amidst fire evacuations!<
 
Thank you so much, Josephine. What do you think about my predicament?
 
Hi @otisbeagle Happy Wednesday to you! :wave:
Let's tag @Josephine, as she can get busy on the forum and may not stop by here again without a tag.
Hope you're having a good day!

Jo, please reference Posts 132 and 134.
 
It’s been a month since my last post, and I’m still feeling those annoying symptoms. They got bad roughly 3 weeks ago the day after tennis
You played tennis? For how long and was it singles or doubles?

I'd also like you to show me where your pains are using this chart. You just need to quote the 3 character reference from across the top and the single letter from the side to show me the square where your pains are

[Bonesmart.org] New hip amidst fire evacuations!<



After that I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom