THR New hip 3/7/12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi again Cathy

I don't think you are behind at all, I think you are doing just fine. We all heal at different rates. I used to compare my progress and think am I being lazy? But then I remember how bad I was before and think it is ok to go at my pace..
 
Hi there Jane, we were typing at the same time :)

Yes, the walker stays handy near the chair in the evenings. Very useful after sitting for a while watching tv... It takes a while go get started.. Do you remember my post where John would say left, right left right to get me started !!

Sorry to highjack Cathy :)
 
That's what comes of having an ex-military hubby! Mine just says, is there anything I can get for you darling? (well, sometimes. Sometimes he forgets I'm not quite normal yet!)
 
Hi Cathy

I just read your post over on Diane's thread and just wanted to thank you :)

It is so true that we all heal at different rates and come into the surgery at different levels of disability. It is difficult sometimes when I read people are walking so many miles etc... But I know that right now my body says don't do that!

I work full time with long hours so even though I know I should fit more walking in, there just isn't enough energy left!

But I do know that as the energy levels improve, so will my exercising..

I think you are doing exactly what you should be doing Cathy, listening to your own body - well done you :)

Lots of love
 
You are doing so good. Please try not to compare your self with others. If I do I find that I get mad and force myself to do things I am not ready for. The one thing I have found is I can not see the healing in my body. The body does do a wonderful job, just wish I could see it. The most problem I have is all of son I am so tired. and need a nap. I had company for a couple of days and after he left I sleep for almost a day. Didn't realize I was that tired. Also my legs really got swollen so please take care and don't force yourself to do things you are not ready to do. :doggieshmooze:Tashia:friends:
 
These folks are right on target. You are well within the "normal" range for recovery and have nothing to worry about. You're still at a tender healing stage, though, and I really would rather see you resting than doing anything around the house or out with errands.

You know your body only has so much energy to give. The more resting you can do, the more energy availble to heal. Of course, you do need to move about a little throughout the day, but chores??? Nope!!!
 
Thanks all, I guess I give others good advice but have a hard time listening to it myself. I appreciate the responses and am going to tune in a bit more to my body this week (like i remind others haha) instead of my judgmental brain.

Thank you Jamie to remind me about resting being a part of the healing process. I need to remember that. ...and thank you Jo for having me look at the Progression of activity. I have seen it before but needed to see it again.

NOTE TO SELF - At 5 1/2 wks I am entering this next week being ok with where I am and trusting my body to guide me where I need to go. I am moving forward, that is the important part.
 
Good for you Cathy. Listen to your body. It knows what you need to do. Rest, Ice and pain control. Everyone has there own jouney and you are on yours. Take care and make sure you rest. :doggieshmooze:Tashia:friends:
 
Can hardly believe it has been 5 weeks today. As far as my progress, not too much diff than my 4 wk post but still moving forward and feeling stronger. I am using the cane all the time now (cept middle of the night bathroom runs and "sometimes" first thing in a.m. depending how I feel). Walks outside still with walker but going around the block 2x a day now, as well as doing my excercises 2x a day. PT only comes once a week now and gave me a few new excercises this week.

CANNOT WAIT till my post op at 6 wks. I am SO ready to drive, have the restrictions lifted, be mobile again and get to the pool for some water PT. I know some do PT and some not, but my hip was pretty weak before this. I had to use a cane all the time, so I want some additional assistance to help me get on track with getting stronger. I am grateful my insurance covers it.

One difference with last week was that I listened more carefully to my body per all the discussions about that. I actually took a few naps when I seemed to be hurting a little more and it really seemed to pay off. Thanks for reading and thanks for all your posts. They help me tremendously. -Cathy
 
Hi Cathy,

It sounds like you are doing great!!!

You are right, some folks get PT and some do not. My OS doesn't routinely refer for outpatient PT but did so at my request. It is a helpful transition back to normal activity both physically and mentally as well. Also nice to learn some new stretches and exercises and see changes and improvements in your range of motion over a period of a few weeks. I hope you enjoy your PT experience!!

Good luck at your 6 week check-up and you may find the need for some naps as you progress into outpatient PT and additional motoring about, just keep listening to your body's signals. :thumb:

Take care,
Cardie
 
I know some do PT and some not, but my hip was pretty weak before this. I had to use a cane all the time, so I want some additional assistance to help me get on track with getting stronger. I am grateful my insurance covers it.

Like Cardie, I am one who found outpatient PT to be very useful. Without it I probably would have gone tried to do too much too early which would have slowed down my recovery. Glad to hear that you have access to it :thumb:.
 
Cathy,

I'm one of those folks who has no idea how people get by without having a pro (physical therapist) assess what you're doing right and what you might be doing wrong. They can throw in their 2 cents (or pence) about a trick to fix an issue or give you a stretch to help with that sore whatsits.

The ones I deal with never cease to amaze me with their ability identify the source of an issue...

Good luck,

Z
 
VThereandnow, Listening to your body.:yes 4: I know what you say about driving. I'm thinking about fixing my van before I get my new car so I can get back into the world. It will come when you are ready. Remember take a day at a time. and you are right on with your recovery. :doggieshmooze:Tashia:friends:
 
Hey VT,

I still take naps and they are heavenly! Sounds like you are doing really well and good luck with your 6 week check up. Driving again gives back so much freedom.

PT has restored so much confidence and as Z says, they can help so much with pinpointing what is going on.
 
Today is one of those days for me. My hip feels fine but my back is killing me. Yesterday was such a glorious day, I went a bit extra on my walk. Felt fine doing and later on for my next walk I made it short, just around the block so as not to overdo it. by the end of the night my back hurt and today it is killing me. Thought I would take it easy after my walk today and look at some posts and all I keep landing on are people doing better than me. I know, I know, but it is hard not to compare sometimes. I keep reading of people walking with no aides at so much less than 6 wks, it is getting to me. Even though i have been following all the rules, doing the excercises etc, i still need the cane. I think the LLD, even though I still use the cane, is what makes my back hurt.

Oh well, Thursday is post op, driving again, outside PT already scheduled, gotta remember life is good, just an off day - could I have some cheese with my wine haha
 
Good luck on Thursday Cathy, I bet they are thrilled at the good progress you have made. Don't be too hard on yourself and you're right, take note of the great advice and encouragement you have gave to other members :thumb:

Enjoy your wine and cheese

Take care

Ann.x.
 
Cathy,

As a little test (and just a test) would it be possible to build up the heel on your shorter leg for a day and see if that helps with the comfort and associated pains. I always like to have as much hard data an as little speculation as possible....it might be worth a go for 48 hours to see if it makes a dif.

Then, armed with that you can figure out how to proceed....just a thought.

Z

And *I* like to have a BEER with my whine! :ccheers:
 
Hi Cathy,

It sounds like you are doing great with your walks & with following the rules that were given from your OS about your assistive devices. It is totally ok to still need the cane! The cane will help you gain the strength to be able to walk better without a limp. A few messages back you had mentioned that you used the cane prior to surgery as well. I am guessing that maybe some of the back pain you are experiencing is related to using muscles differently in your whole body -- back and pelvis included.

On the LLD, I'm not sure if you mentioned having a difference in your leg lengths prior to surgery. Often after THR it can feel like there is a difference in your leg lengths because of the changes in the angle of your leg and swelling in the area of the surgery. Sometimes there are muscles in the buttocks that are a bit weak after the surgery that can give rise to the limping gait -- even though there is not a structural LLD.

Since you'll see your OS this week *hooorayyy* one of the things to ask about would be if there is an LLD and if you should do anything about it yet. My OS encouraged me to wait and allow stretching of all my muscles -- but I had an LLD due to hip issues from birth.

Let us know how it goes at your follow-up appointment!!
Take care,
Cardie
 
As Cardie has said, it is common after THR to feel that one leg is longer than the other. This is perfectly normal and can take several months to fully resolve as your body adapts to the geometry of the new hip. Unless your surgeon has told you that he left you with one leg longer, it is best not to use a shoe lift... not even for a day or two... as it will interfere with your recovery.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom