THR New hip 3/7/12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Ann, cardio, z and Alex. When I look back on my thread, I guess I've not whined too much, just an off day, thanks for indulging me. I think it was just especially frustrating coming off such a great day yesterday.

When I refer to my LLD, I am meaning the "perceived". Originally my doc said my leg was a smidge shorter so he thought I would end up just right. He said I left surgery even. Cardio, you are probably right in that the longer walk, with weak butt muscles might have just taxed other parts of my body.

Z, As far as a lift, for almost 2 weeks I have had something in my shoes and in my slippers. It does not make me perfectly even but much more even. My PT had suggested it because the limp was killing my SI joint.

Alex, you seem pretty adamant about not doing it. I have heard people go both ways. Not sure what is right, but it is on the list of questions for my doc on Thursday. Who knows, maybe I am making it worse, even though when I first added the lift it felt better.

Again, thank you all. I really appreciate your thoughts. I'll hopefully be posting happy things on Thursday after post op :)
 
Cathy, definitely ask your doc about your leg length. I bet your legs are the same length, but he is the one who knows for sure.

The reason it is a bad idea to use a shoe lift if your legs are the same length is that it forces your pelvis to be tilted up on one side and that's not healthy for your back. It is common before THR to tilt your pelvis to try to minimize pain in that hip. After THR that pain is gone, so it's time to break that habit and develop a more healthy gait. A shoe lift will interfere with that because it reinforces the old, lopsided habit.

I know it's not that comfortable at first but if you keep working on your PT exercises, especially the side leg lift, you'll develop the muscular strength you need to support your pelvis and you'll probably start feeling a lot better.
 
That makes sense Alex. Before my surgery, every time I went to the chiropractor my pelvis was tilted. Your explanation was really clear. Thank you for that. I am going to take the stuff out of my shoes now and of course, talk with my doctor about it on Thursday. Thanks again alex
 
I'm glad you're going to talk to your surgeon and I hope you'll let us know what he says.

Are you also going to ask when you can return to the chiropractor? He might not want you to do that yet, but I think the chiropractor may be able to help with this when the time is right.
 
Cathy,

I am still using my cane at 22 weeks and my walker at night or when I am very tired! After my 1st THR I recovered pretty quick and this time it is taking much longer. I have found it takes it's own time no matter what I do...so the more I can just "go with it", the better.

Also, sometimes after a really great day when we do a bit more our bodies want a day of rest and will let us know it...all the best to you.
 
Cathy,

Thank you for your kind words on my thread today. You made my day!
Good luck tomorrow at the doctor. It always feels good to get our questions answered and get an update.
My brother and sis-in-law live in Rutland, VT.
Beautiful state.
Take care and let us know how dr. visit goes.
 
Just to drop by and saying thank you for what you said on my thread. I did get my van up. It still needs lot of work but getting there. Its ok to use a walker and a cane when you need it. I carry one in the car and one in the house. Keep the positive mode and remember every day puts you closer to full recovery. :doggieshmooze:Tashia:friends:
 
Hi Cathy

I hope your doc was able to give you good information about questions of LLD - and I also hope that will not be a long term problem for you. My OS cautioned me before my surgery that I might have some LLD since he was replacing both hips at once and could not be 100% sure that both legs would end up the same length - but luckily for me he did a great job and as far as I can tell they both touch the ground - and the hips/pelvis are aligned properly :) And I did have a fair amount of muscle achiness due to them being stretched and pulled during surgery - but that did pass and hopefully for you the perceived LLD will disappear with time and patience.

What part of Vermont are you in? I have relatives all over the state (Barre, Chester, Brattleboro, Warren just to name a few locales) and I grew up in Hanover NH - in fact I'm hoping to get back there this summer for a school reunion - " '65 turns 65" - I'm looking forward to revisiting some of my favorite spots from childhood.

Tossing out a cautious, tentative idea - a Vt/NH BS meet up some time mid July?
 
Hip hip hooray (sorry :)) RELEASED TO DRIVE!!! . Post op visit went well. All seems ok. Some restrictions lifted, but he still wants me to not do big internal rotation for a while.

My appt with him was at 11, my PT was at 1 (can you tell I'm anxious to get started?) it is close so I walked home and HAD TO DRIVE. Had no where to go so I just took a little drive and then it came over me, Wow, I got really pooped, so I got myself back hm and laid low rest of night. Bigger day than I thought, but ahhhh FREEDOM!!! I start next week in the pool for PT, can't wait. Except for a few extra pains from PT, nothing big, I was no worse the wear today.

On to the LLD issue. Can't say I am any less confused. I know most on the site say leave it alone and yes, I have read the article. I was wearing a make shift lift for a bit, then after an explanation by Alex that made good sense, I took it out. The limp really started my back to hurting again. My doc says he thinks from measuring the X-ray that i am pretty even. That is not an exact measurement though. He could see I was presenting with the one leg longer. He said the body will do what it needs to do lift or no lift. He actually gave me a lift that is in layers and you can peel a layer off when you no longer need it. He said because I have some back issues to begin with (slipped disc yrs. ago, arthritis bla bla bla) he thinks it is a good idea. Then I talked with my PT. I worked with her b4 surgery and she also said to wear it until I get a little more strength in my hip and we can re-evaluate. She too thinks aggravating my back will interfere with my walking and that is what I need to be doing the most of. I have a chiropractor appt next Thursday and will ask her also. I value her opinion a lot. So lift is in, we'll see how it goes, the LLD question continues for me.

WED. It was my b.d., THURS. was my post op and driving freedom and TODAY as a celebration of my freedom, my spouse had someone come and clean our house so it would not be the first thing I would want to catch up on. Smart huh? ...and what a treat for me. First time I've ever had anyone clean my house, wow, it is great. 3 days of excitement. I think I could get used to feeling this good.

Thanks for listening. This post is a bit longer than my usual. Hope everyone has a great wknd. It is going to rain here, but as they say, April showers...-Cathy
 
Thanks Deb. We moved to Burlington from Syracuse last June. It is beautiful! Not been the greatest move for me, moving in this condition, then having surgery with none of my family or friends around. I am from WI originally. When we moved to Syracuse some 15 yrs ago it was much more fun. I'll get there though and will be on that bike path later this summer :) My brother and his family are coming in July for a week, but keep me posted, you never know if the stars line up and your visit is not during that time, 2 hipsters paths might cross:)
 
Cathy,

Good to hear the positive report from the doc.

I have heard of those layered inserts and I think letting your back be happy(er) for awhile makes good sense..then, some months out, you can peel off a layer of that insert, and do that for 2 months, then another, and do that for 2 months. Giving your bod a chance to adjust to it little by little.

And I happen to think that Vermont is a truly WONDERFUL state..in so many ways. :thumb:

Z
 
Hi Cathy,
I had my surgery March 21, 2012. I'm dealing with some of the same issues as you with the LLD. I see my doctor April 30. I'll let you know what he says. Now I'm dealing with a pan in my groin that I guess is the hip flexor. My PT gave me a gentle stretch. Basically the cobra position in yoga.
I, too, treated myself to a cleaning service after surgery. Boy, I really like it!
Nancy
 
Oh Cathy,

Sounds like your life is taking many turns for the positive...so happy for you. Driving is freedom and having your house cleaned was a great idea by your hubby...smart man. My niece worked in Burlington before moving to Colorado and I live just outside Syracuse, small world.

Good luck with the LLD issue, with time it should all work itself out. Thanks for sharing such a positive post with us!
 
Hi Cathy

What a great update, so very pleased that you are able to drive and will be getting into the pool for PT, that is just the best.

It will be interesting to see how the layered shoe lifts work with your back pain... I will be following that with much interest.

How fabulous your hubby is to organize the house cleaner.. He is a keeper for sure..

Good for you, I am so happy for you :)
 
I am so happy for you. To be able to drive and have your house cleaned. WOW how wonderful. I'm so happy for you. Now with the house cleaned you are all ready for Spring. Be careful when driving but hay gal you got wheels. GREAT. Enjoy your weekend. :doggieshmooze:Tashia:friends:
 
Hi Cathy,

What a great report and wonderful news that you have been given the green light on driving and on PT in the pool!! :yes!:

Try not to get too confused on the LLD. It's not really an exact science when it comes to what all the professionals say and boils down to how you feel and how you are moving with your new hip. You may find that you experience some back pains with or without the lift as your body is working differently and muscles are being stressed and taxed with the changes the new hip creates.

Kudos to the spouse and the house cleaning idea -- how thoughtful and what a treat!! Hope you have a nice weekend.

Take care,
Cardie
 
Hi Cathy,

Belated Happy birthday. :flowerysmile:

Well what a fab week you have had. I'm so pleased your appt went well. It's good that your LLD has been adressed but how do you know when to remove one of the layers?

I bet it was fantastic being told you can ge back behind the wheel again and then getting your house cleaned too. I'm happy for you that it's all going so well.

I raise a glass for your birthday AND your new hip:thumb:

Take care

Xxxx
 
Hi Cathy

Thanks for dropping by on my thread.... Needed to come back and visit with you to talk more about when you had your trip to OZ.

Perth is a fabulous city.

I am impressed with what you fitted into your ten days. snorkeling at Rottnest, did you see any seals?

Just to bring back some memories...

broken link removed: https://www.oceaniccruises.com.au/images/rotto1.jpg

The south west is beautiful country, lots of little towns to linger in and wander around, not sure where you focussed that part of your trip... But here is another link to wet your appetite for more :)

broken link removed: https://www.australiassouthwest.com/Things_to_See_and_Do/Food_and_Wine

We come from the West, moved to the Eastern States for work 19 years ago and stayed... But WA remains in my heart that is for sure...

Hugs xx
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom