THR New 2 hips now<

I'm feeling pretty good. My rash is no better no worse. I bought tree oil cream and a fungus cream. I just started last nite. The nurse at OS was very dismissive about rash. I guess I'll see my GP next week if it doesn't go away. It's not itchy or painful. Praying It's gone. Today i walked to bathroom forgot my cane that's awesome. Stronger staying positive
 
Yay! Forgot your cane, awesome feeling, isn't it?
I'm happy to hear you're just taking the rash in stride.

I had some silly little rash on the front of my calf, surgical leg, early on, little red dots, not raised. I got in a tizzy myself thinking it was some type of allergic reaction to my implant. I made my husband take daily pics of it so I could blow them up on my iPad and compare day to day. He'd laugh at me and I'd laugh at myself so I have an understanding of your anxiety.

I think your attitude sounds great.....as though you have a handle on all. You probably already thought of this..but if your able to ditch the bra often it may be beneficial not having that friction irritating the area......for now anyway.

Wishing you continued healing and a great weekend! @Sunnyhippy
 
@Sunnyhippy horaaayyyy you forgot your cane!!! :wowspring:that really is a big milestone. Soon you'll be keeping it in the car, or by the door for when you go out! I just bought a folding one, as I have to travel by air next week, and it has glow-in-the-dark handle and tip-- makes me want to carry it all night long even though I never use it indoors are only rarely on walks.

I have a fairly blase attitude toward rashes, which makes me no help to people who are worried. I raised two rash-prone kids, and have had a few myself. Usually if I could say "that's NOT poison ivy", that's all we ever needed to know :snork:.

My DIL cured a fungus-y toenail with tea tree oil, so that's some good stuff there-- let us know how it goes for you!
 
Hi@ Sunnyhippy
I am still taking tylenol for pain during the day. I seem to have a very low threshold for pain so I have still been taking Narco at night. I was hoping to be off of it, but I was too uncomfortable to sleep last night. I finally decided the problem was the pain in my leg so I took one pill. I'm not worried about it as I really don't like meds. I'm sure I won't need it at all real soon. I am at 5 weeks post op. Everyone is different so if you need the pain med, take it.
I feel better now that I have signed up with BoneSmart. Everyone here is so supportive and we are not alone any longer in this journey.
Hope you do well this week.
 
@Waterlady
Hello and your so correct. I still take a pain pill as needed I not worried about it. My body tells me when I need one. Welcome to the group. Very wonderful support wish I found this group in April with my first hip. Happy healing and everyone heals at there own pace.
 
@Layla
I had to laugh!! I do take pics to compare and my sweet hubby has to look every nite. So funny
 
Haha! @Sunnyhippy
We can be cuckoo together..... It's great we have understanding husbands who just roll with it.
Wishing you a great weekend!
 
So it's Sunday and I slept alittle on my right side for awhile and felt good. Looking forward to side sleeping. Pain is getting so much better. Still have this rash but it's not worse. Mom said leave it alone. Resting and walking. Once my rash goes i am ready for small slow walk on treadmill its to hot outside. It all gets better. I calmed my mind and keep reminding myself of that. Hope everyone is doing well.
 
Hi @Sunnyhippy
I've yet to sleep on my side and I was a side sleeper! I am afraid to try it for some reason...silly, I know.
It's great your pain is lessening and I think a good sign the rash hasn't gotten worse.
You sound much more calm and upbeat......just like a Sunny Hippy should!
A great week to you...
 
@Layla
Hi! My first hip I was terrified to sleep on my side. First it hurt alot and second I figured even with my crazy amount of pillows I would somehow cross my legs. This time that fear is gone and pain is not as bad this early on. I just try and move back if I ache. Last time it was 3 months. I was hoping in bed at 3 months without a care sleeping on op side. I am walking so good it's pretty amazing this short time with ZERO PT. :yes!::loveshwr:
 
It sounds as though your healing really quickly not even one month out!

Funny thing is @Sunnyhippy leading up to surgery I could sleep on my replacement side no worries. It didn't hurt at all. Not sure if that is common, or not. But I'll be 8 weeks out in two days and each night as I lay in bed and contemplate trying it, I end up chickening out. I haven't even tried it, haha!

Hopefully one day soon I can post - Yay.....I slept on my replacement side! But not today : (
 
@Sunnyhippy and @Waterlady....you have alot to deal with but you are oh so right. You don't have to do it alone.
Self deprecating humor and sympathetic souls are what drag most of us through the tough parts.
It is an uphill-downhill, exhilarating-upsetting, confidence-building - anxiety enduring journey.
We have all been there. Best of luck to you both.
 
@Sunnyhippy ..glad you are doing so well. Your progress gives me a lot of encouragement! Having LTHR on 8/28.

Ah yes, the side sleeping conundrum..I have not been able to sleep on my bad hip side for a year now. The one time I accidentally slept on that side (accidentally as in I was in a deep sleep and unknowingly rolled onto the left side), I literally could not walk for 3 days.

Funny, cause my body now somehow instinctively knows not to sleep on the left side. Hopefully, like you, I will, in the not too distant future, be able to sleep on that side again.

@Layla...Just go for it:) As you are 8 weeks out, you might be pleasantly surprised that nothing terrible happens,and at worst, it may be slightly uncomfortable. But it could be also be comfortable. Won't know until you try. That said, I completely understand your trepidation.
 
So weird @Lerwick8 It is totally opposite for me. I could sleep on my bad side pre-op no problem.
But currently, as you mentioned, I instinctively never sleep on my replacement side. I've become a back sleeper and I don't like it!

Do you think maybe the fact that I never roll onto my side could be because I have a barricade of pillows on each side locking me in place.....haha! I seriously do! My shoulder on my good side bothers me often so I don't sleep on that side and don't want to roll on the surgical leg......YET. One day soon though I'm gonna put on my big girl pants and try!
 
@Layla ..the barricade of pillows..they are currently staring me in the face every night before I go to bed, and every morning when I wake up, as they are all stacked up in my bedroom waiting for their assignments next weekend:loll:

Completely agree about the back sleeping and not particularly looking forward to it myself, but needs must.

I would be so tempted to try the surgical side even for ten minutes and see how you do. What is the worst thing that could happen? You are certainly past the most delicate time for dislocation so the only other consideration would be if you are afraid of any pain that it might cause. You will never know the answer to this unless you take the plunge. Just start slowly and cautiously..ten minutes, then build up your time if it feels okay.
 
It took me several months before I could sleep on the op side last hip. I developed a little bursitis deep inside, and I didn't want to bother it. Thankfully, it went away, and I was able to again sleep on whatever side I wanted. Right now the op side is just sore sore sore when I press on it, so I'm pretty sure that means it would be sore if I rolled over onto it LOL.

@Waterlady do you use ice at night at all? I have found, with both hips, that ice can be a savior at night. Sure, it's a pain, but it won't be long before I can relegate it back to the freezer.
 
@Sunnyhippy sounds like you are doing great, and I totally get the fear of trying things. I spent weeks thinking about trying to get into my car normally (not butt first) and even mentioned it at PT, and when I finally worked myself up to trying, it was no big deal! Now I have to remind myself since I'd been doing butt first for so long!

I'm pretty much sleeping normally now too, but I had to psych myself up to trying to sleep on my operated side for sure! For a long time I still woke up and moved tentatively, scared of hurting or something, but now I don't think I really wake up. I hated sleeping on my back!

Keep up the good work, you're doing great!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Layla
I've lost track of time lol! Maybe it was tbe eclipse. You will sleep on your side when your ready. Funny you mention shoulder. I have had left shoulder issue for along time. I even had OS X RAY and he said it was not arthritis. But will need mri. It's been pretty good since surgery. Hope your doing well.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom