Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie

Hi @RunA42K ,

Registration for the lottery doesn't open untilJune 4th! I will be ready though!:loveshwr:

Yep Sonja, I know a number of people who are waiting for the 4th and the lottery to open. I was in the lottery for the New York City Marathon 4 different times. I got picked twice, so you never know. I ran the NYC Marathon in 2000 and 2002. Pre 911 and post 911, gosh, it seems just like yesterday, where does the time go? My daughter and I were in the lottery for NYC together in 2010, she got picked and I did not. Had I been chosen I would not have been able to run it anyway, my knee was too bad by then. My very last marathon 26.2 miles was in Oklahoma City in May of 2010. I still have the chip tag on those shoes as well as dirt from running in them...I'll never clean them, I like to look at them and see all my hard work that I'll never do again.:cry:
 
@RunA42K ,

I understand your feelings! I would give anything to be in the gym playing Basketball again! Instead, I will have to remember to shoot flat footed no jump shot, when I am playing BB w my friend's daughter. I look at it this way though; I am doing so much more than I did for 28 years. Who would EVER think when I saw you mention a half marathon, that I would chime in "I can do that!" It's all in the things we CAN do!:loveshwr:

By the way, I had never played soccer and my friend's daughter was practicing w Abby, so Abby said try kicking at the goal but be careful w that knee! I thought, "No Big Deal!" Well my knee didn't agree! The ball went very little distance, and my knee "talked" to me!:bignono: Oh well, no soccer on my Bucket list anyway!:happydance:
 
By the way, I had never played soccer and my friend's daughter was practicing w Abby, so Abby said try kicking at the goal but be careful w that knee! I thought, "No Big Deal!" Well my knee didn't agree! The ball went very little distance, and my knee "talked" to me! Oh well, no soccer on my Bucket list anyway!

I am with you there Sonja. Soccer has never been on my bucket list and it does feel very weird to kick the ball!
 
Today, June 2, 2014 my revision knee is exactly 6 months old...sadly at Physical Therapy today I was only able to bend my knee 110 degrees :tantrum: pretty bad and very disappointing. I never thought I'd be here with so little bend at 6 months. I do know that I have a good week then a week or two of not so good, I am hoping that things will turn around later this week or next week.

I am having a problem with Pes Anserine tendonitis. I had it with my first TKR. The first time 3 years ago I got a RX for Dexamethasone which my Physical Therapist infused through my skin with a patch called Iontophoresis. He reminded me that I still have some of this RX at their facility, I know it is expired but I said I didn't care I'd try it anyway.

So I don't know if I should make an OS appointment because of my poor ROM, or my Pes Anserine tendonitis or to request an RX for Dexamethasone (to replace my expired RX). I'd appreciate any words of advice from all you Bonesmarties. :xmark: :banghead:

Sigh...:blackcloud::bricks::kickedout::hairpulling::headbang:
 
Today, June 2, 2014 my revision knee is exactly 6 months old...sadly at Physical Therapy today I was only able to bend my knee 110 degrees :tantrum:

So I don't know if I should make an OS appointment because of my poor ROM, or my Pes Anserine tendonitis or to request an RX for Dexamethasone (to replace my expired RX). I'd appreciate any words of advice from all you Bonesmarties. :xmark: :banghead:

Sigh...:blackcloud::bricks::kickedout::hairpulling::headbang:

Hmmm... I would say for the tendonitis problem. He can look at your ROM, but seriously Bonnie, 110 at 6 months for a revision is pretty good. It takes time. I know, I know, you are hearing this from the "master of impatience," but your ROM will come!:dubious:
 
Hi Bonnie,
Sorry to hear you frustration, get the Rx refilled and treat the pes anernus
first.
Sounds like every thing else is doing great.
Excited to hear you and Sonja are walking the half marathon together!
Had a new stitch pop out so still waiting to swim :(
Take good care,


Sent from my iPod touch using BoneSmart®
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Bonnie, sorry to hear your still having problems. I agree the pes anserine first, are you iceing still? I had the same problem, lots & lots of ice especially the ice massages took care of it. I realize with your working and all you don't have all the time I had. Take care, wishing you the best.
 
Soccer? I don't remember any of this. Oh well, I'm old. Saw my OS yesterday ... he took 2 syringes of fluid out of my knee, put it in another container and one of those toxic marked bags, I took it to the Lab. this morning to be cultured, and also have blood drawn and be cultured. I'm to call Thurs. or Fri. as they should have the results back. He looked at the blood scan, and that knee was huge and black .... black because the scan was black and white. It was enormous. He is going to consult with 2 of his colleagues that also do knees and hips and
revisions. Also, the eye is the same. :flabber: I am totally worn out.
abby

I think I wrote on the wrong thread. I'm very sorry. I have trouble finding my own.
 
I stopped at my Physical Therapy place before going to work this morning and got a patch of Dexamethasone for the the pes anserine tendonitis. I wore the patch for 9 hours...tomorrow I'll go back to Physical Therapy again and we'll see if i am doing any better. Woe is me!
 
Bad day at Physical Therapy on Monday of this week, a painful 110 degrees. So was taking it easy all week, two days of Dexamethasone patches and yesterday, Thursday I finally had a better day. 116 degrees, almost 117 without pain. That is with the Physical Therapist pushing and me pulling, but I gained almost 7 degrees from Monday. Two steps forward, 3 steps back for me...next week I plan on a good week!!!
 
Hey Bonnie, Just checking in on you. Im sorry you are still struggling, you really deserve to recover! I saw your pool and yard a couple of weeks back , very nice. You are truly blessed. However we need to get you well !! Can you briefly describe how your knee feels and what you believe is going on . I know this is a revision and I believe you had major adhesions, however what exactly was wrong with the first one . ? I just really hope we can , with your OS get you healthy. And what are the symptoms now ?? Warms wishes. Iceman
 
:yay:, the range is there, just waiting until it is ready!
Congratulations on your new position at the store:loveshwr: :cool::walking:
 
Hi Bonnie!

I signed up for the half marathon today!:happydance: I am sponsoring "Bo's Place". My bib will read RestAssured! How cool is that!!!! :loveshwr: I am having a rest day, and tomorrow I will be increasing my stamina in the pool! On Monday, I am going to "Run this Way", to find my proper fit!:yes!: My goodness, 8 months ago NONE of this would have been possible! I believe in my knee again!:roseshwr::wowspring:
 
I am so glad that you signed up Sonja and I can't wait to hear the shoe that they put you in. Shoes are your most important piece of equipment and I''m so happy that you have a place to go to get that help!
 
Hey Bonnie, Just checking in on you. Im sorry you are still struggling, you really deserve to recover! I saw your pool and yard a couple of weeks back , very nice. You are truly blessed. However we need to get you well !! Can you briefly describe how your knee feels and what you believe is going on . I know this is a revision and I believe you had major adhesions, however what exactly was wrong with the first one . ? I just really hope we can , with your OS get you healthy. And what are the symptoms now ?? Warms wishes. Iceman
@icep707 Hi Ice, thanks for checking in on me, you are so kind! I really don't know what is going on other than my knee just gets to a point and it is stuck and won't bend anymore. I got Pes Anserine tendinitis with my first TKR and now this revision TKR. That alone definitely brings ROM exercises to a screeching halt. My knee does not hurt all the time but does hurt fairly often. Yes the first TKR was FULL of scar tissue that had to be surgically removed. Once removed my new OS was able to see that my knee, the components were "sloppy loose", seems that my ligaments were all stretched out which allow the knee to move from side to side and create an environment where my knee was continually being inflamed thus growing scar tissue.

Only after I expressed concern about my ROM did the OS tell me that he had to put in a bigger spacer to make the revision knee snug and and tight and would be harder to get ROM. I really really do try to be positive but I do get very discouraged thinking that i'll never have more ROM than I do right now. Today I walked 2.30 miles. I started out a bit stiff but things loosened up and I felt pretty good. But that is walking, I want to ride my bike outside too :boohoo:I don't know when I should give up and go to the doctor again about it, especially because he told me not to come back of 8 years!
 
I signed up for the half marathon today! I am sponsoring "Bo's Place". My bib will read RestAssured! How cool is that!!!!
Sonja, as time gets closer to the day of the marathon/1/2 marathon the marathon is always looking for special interest stories relating as to the reason for participating, hurdles that had to be overtaken and drive to succeed. I think that we (individually) should write the marathon committee and tell them about our knees, about how we met on Bonesmart, the challenges that we face and finally meeting in person for the first time ever. I bet they'd do a story on us!
 
@RunA42K
I don't have the ROM I would like in either knee, but especially the left one that I blew up a year ago doing too much while the effects of a rather nasty Rx were still lingering. I can cycle, however, and it is such an enjoyable way to enjoy exercising outside (sure wish I could love it like running or snowshoeing).


So, and I may have suggested this before, go find a bike shop that can get you cycling w/limited ROM. Shorter crank arms, recumbents incl. tadpole designs, etc. ...I'm sure there is an answer out there and maybe it helps your base ROM as a bonus.

Edit: I just checked and you mention a ROM of 110-116 depending on the day...you should definitely be able to get a proper cycling fit with minor adjustments as needed.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom