Revision TKR Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie

@RunA42K
Thanks for the sock class :walking:
You are very welcome Puffin!!

I've been absent here for a few days. Today was my first official day at being manager of my running store. Since last week, I've been going in early and staying late to learn as much as I can. Inventory, invoices, ordering...and fixing other peoples mistakes!!

I'm still fighting the Pes Anserine tendonitis and thankfully with my new position at work, I get to sit more...in front of a computer! Monday only 113 degrees, a patch of Dexamethasone on Tuesday a lot of sitting on Wednesday then Physical Therapy today back to 115 degrees and I was able to pedal the bike on the lowest seat setting! I'm always a work in progress!!

Next week I should get my orthotics with the heel lift then I can increase my walking mileage! Yay!!!
 
Sounds like you are enjoying your new role @RunA42K. It sounds like a great position for you given your running background. I have been impressed about your knowledge of shoes and all of the mechanics around them. Thanks for sharing your knowledge with the rest of us.

Congratulations on getting back to 115. I hope you can get the tendonitis in check and good luck with the heel lift. Hopefully that will ease your pain.

Have a great night!
 
Thank you @71Beetle and btw...I happen to love VW Beetles! I've owned 3 in my lifetime, the latest was a 1976 light blue with white convertible top that I sold in the late 1990's. I take it you are a Beetle enthusiast too!

I definitely am having this tendonitis and my new position has cut into my going to get my Dexamethasone patches but at least the past several days I've not had to be on my feet as much. As I learn more at work, I'll be able to free up the time that I need to continue taking care of my knee...but life does go on, one way or another.

Today I met with Reps from Adidas and New Balance and saw new product lines, see what's coming down the pike. I learned of dates that I'll be meeting with marathon training groups in July, August and September and brand new runners on September 20th. I'll be very involved in the running community, in and out of the store. I've told my Mom that October would be the best time for she and I to go to Hawaii. Life is getting real busy for me but the one thing that I learned with all the time off and home alone with recovery from 4 knee surgeries, is that I am not ready to stay home. I like being out in the world, I like being with and talking with people. I like being around healthy fit people or people who are trying to become healthy and fit...I have a lot of experience to offer! I may not be able to run anymore, but I do find joy in helping others in their running experiences. And the same joy in encouraging our own Sonja @RestAssured in charting new territories in things she has never done before like walking a 1/2 marathon and I'll be right there next to her doing it too. :walking:
 
My hubby bought me that bug when we got married. It was pink back then. We had it restored about 10 years ago and repainted it. I had wanted a VW Beetle since I was a little girl. Like they say - vision it and it will happen.

You have the perfect job for your background. Helping others with running and empowering those around you. You can speak from experience in running and in knee troubles and can lend a lot of expertise at all levels.

Enjoy your meetings with the reps and have a fantastic weekend.
 
Your new job sounds busy, but perfect for you right now. You will be meeting so many interesting people, and be at the cutting edge of your business.
Hope your tendinitis heals, and you are pain free with your knee.


Sent from my iPod touch using BoneSmart®
 
@RunA42K,

I am so excited to be joining you! For the past week and 2 days though, I have been walking on a broken 5th metatarsal in my right foot, so my training will change for a while! I will be ready though!:happydance:
 
Hi Bonnie, havent been on for some time, and just got caught up on your thread. First of all, congratulations on your new job, seems just the right fit for you and I can see even though you are tired you love your job!!
Sorry, you are still having Pes Ansirimas tendonitis problem. It is so painful, I am almost 2 yrs out with my revision and I just had a bout of the tendonitis again. I did the ice massage 2/3 times a day and its almost well again.
Wishing you a speedy recovery!!
 
Thanks for stopping in @Oldie, I've missed you! Almost two years out and got the tendinitis again? Oh my...when does this ever end? I am glad that this bout of it is almost done for you.

I've still got it along with an achy left hip. I am hoping that once my orthotics are ready with the correct heel height that maybe some of this will go away. sigh....
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@RunA42K,

I am so excited to be joining you! For the past week and 2 days though, I have been walking on a broken 5th metatarsal in my right foot, so my training will change for a while! I will be ready though!:happydance:
Now how in the heck did you break your 5th metatarsal Sonja @RestAssured? Don't worry, you have more than enough time to get ready.

I met a woman who came to the store today. My age, can't run anymore, hips is her problem, we are both short, 5' 2" and weight the same. She is walking now and walking 1/2 marathons and soon will walk a full marathon. She said she had to teach herself how to walk fast and I do know that its a challenge because she and I both have short legs. She told me about an App called 'Party Mixer' that she has on her phone. When she walks, she uses the App by setting the cadence that she wants to go. She showed me how it works. You can hear the cadence through music or an audio book. The sound of the cadence which you can adjust the sound, reminded me a timer that my piano teacher used when I was having lessons growing up. If you can think in your head, "right, left, right, left" and keep at it the speed of the cadence you set, it can keep you on pace. I downloaded the App but won't try it until I get my orthotics. Check it out, the App iw free.
 
@RunA42K,

Do you remember when I told you that those "new" New Balance shoes were causing IT band issues? Well, that morning when I got out of bed I stepped into the New shoes and felt a pop! Thought it was arthritis, and have been walking on it for over a week and a half! Yesterday, having the leg in the down position while being a passenger almost killed me. So, we stopped in the Emergi Clinic and found out it wasn't arthritis.

I looked for Party Mixer. Is it an ITunes app?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I looked for Party Mixer. Is it an ITunes app?
Yes, Sonja I downloaded it from iTunes but most likely there is another app for difference kinds of phones. There is so weird about your foot. But you had been working out a lot and the New Balance shoes you said were completely worn down on the outer side so they had been pushing you to the outside and therefore putting a lot of pressure on those metatarsals.
 
There is so weird about your foot. But you had been working out a lot and the New Balance shoes you said were completely worn down on the outer side so they had been pushing you to the outside and therefore putting a lot of pressure on those metatarsals.


I think have found the answer!

My foot "decided":snork: to cook up a diabolical plan the moment it saw those New Balance shoes that I was getting out of the closet!:skep: It "knew" that my poor feet would suffer on the outside again so it cut a deal with the 5th metatarsal!:arrow: The foot and the metatarsal became "scheming buddies" waiting for their opportunity!:groan:
When the opportunity presented itself that morning, the foot and bone were only too happy to oblige!:rotfl:
 
Hi @RunA42K I am after some advice please. I have been to the physio today and she has recommended that I buy a decent pair of trainers. I have a wide high arched foot. Today I have been diagnosed with plantar fasciitis and lax ligaments on the outside of my left foot. Any suggestions please. Before this last surgery I had a 2cm leg length difference, I don't know yet if it is still there, but the trainer must be able to accommodate a heel raiser if necessary.
 
Hi @RunA42K I am after some advice please. I have been to the physio today and she has recommended that I buy a decent pair of trainers. I have a wide high arched foot. Today I have been diagnosed with plantar fasciitis and lax ligaments on the outside of my left foot. Any suggestions please. Before this last surgery I had a 2cm leg length difference, I don't know yet if it is still there, but the trainer must be able to accommodate a heel raiser if necessary.
Hi @busylizzie...Plantar Fasciitis is the worst, I've had it in both feet during my running career, thankfully not both feet at the same time. The best thing you can do for PF, is wear GOOD arch support all of the time. No bare feet, no flat sandals or flip flops, although you can buy sandals/flip flops with GOOD arch support.

In an athletic shoe, the brands with the highest arches are Mizuno and Asics, then Adidas. New Balance has the lowest arches and Saucony, and Brooks are right in the middle. I have high arched feet and my feet love Asics! Just remember that everyone's feet are different. What feels great on your neighbor may not feel great on you because you both don't have the same feet.

A running shoe is better than a walking shoe in that running shoes are lighter weight, more flexible, more breathable and made to take a pounding! In other words they will support you without stiffness and weight! No one ever has to run in a running shoe, they just feel great! Cross trainers are not good for anyone thing...they are NOT walking shoes, NOT running shoes, NOT basketball or tennis shoes. Stay away from cross trainers...they are good for nothing!

Any of the above mentioned brands would accommodate a heel lift, I've been wearing a heel lift for 6 months now. I take it in and out of all my running shoes, that should not be a problem at all. If you have a true wide width foot, all the brands above have shoes that either run wide or come in wide. Go somewhere that you can get some true help with the right shoe and fit for you!

Good luck!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Today I picked up my new custom made orthotics from my podiatrist for my leg length difference due to my revision 6.5 months ago!! Talk about fantastic...OMG I wish I had not waited so long. The height is just about right but I still may need to raised up just a bit more. I'm going to wear them for about two weeks then make the judgement, but I can tell you that right off the bat they were fantastic. Great arch support too. Maybe now my hip can stop aching and I can start walking longer distances. I do have to say that when I first saw them today I was shocked at the difference in height. I've been feeling it for 6.5 months, today I saw it. I'll attach a picture of them...(this was in my store today - check out all the race numbers on the wall)
[Bonesmart.org] Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie
[Bonesmart.org] Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie
 
That seems like a huge difference between the two inserts. No wonder you have been so uncomfortable! Your store looks great!
It is huge @71Beetle ...I sent these two pictures to my kids and husband today. The comments I received back were, "Dang!" "Oh my goodness" and "wow that is huge!" My reply..."See, I told you my hip hurt!"
 
@RunA42K , many thanks for your reply, I will go running trainer shopping as soon as I can. Mail order isn't much good as I need to be able to try them on.
 
@RunA42K ,

I see the OS tomorrow and I am praying that no surgery will be needed! Abby had me swim for endurance and speed today and I swam a total of 950 yds!:happydance:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom