Revision TKR Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie

Sonja, as time gets closer to the day of the marathon/1/2 marathon the marathon is always looking for special interest stories relating as to the reason for participating, hurdles that had to be overtaken and drive to succeed. I think that we (individually) should write the marathon committee and tell them about our knees, about how we met on Bonesmart, the challenges that we face and finally meeting in person for the first time ever. I bet they'd do a story on us!

I think that is a brilliant idea! We can help bring awareness to life after revisions, and BoneSmart! I think they would be very interested in our stories!:loveshwr::happydance:
 
@RunA42K ,

Have you ever tried yoga? I have gained so much more balance, strength, and even improved my ROM to where I can easily sit on my feet! It used to be I had to work hard at it!:egypdance:
 
@RunA42K ,

Have you ever tried yoga? I have gained so much more balance, strength, and even improved my ROM to where I can easily sit on my feet! It used to be I had to work hard at it!:egypdance:
Oh yes Sonja, you might recall that I was doing Hot Yoga! I enjoyed it, I purchased an unlimited one month pass. I've not been now for almost one month but I will go back.
 
Oh that's right!

Well, no hot yoga for me! My MS would kick in and as I was doing a warrior 3 pose, I would suddenly melt into the mat!:snork:
 
Back to Physical Therapy today after leaving the last bad week behind! Today my ROM was measured at 117, and considering last Monday was a painful 110, I am very pleased. I'm still having trouble with this Pes Anserine tendonitis and I emailed my surgeons PA about giving me a Dexamethasone RX. She said she would most definitely fill it for me as she has had good results with that herself. So I've iced twice since I've been home from Physical Therapy and then was just wondering if I could pedal my bike tonight and.....drum roll....I could!! I am thinking I might be able to try riding my bike outside this weekend so excitedly I aired up my tires on both of my bikes!!!

It looks like the 2.30 mile walk yesterday didn't hurt me. Today I had impressions made of my feet so I could get my orthotics made with the left one having a 1/2 inch higher heel. I'll be ready to increase mileage after that!!

Can you tell I am a little happier tonight?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Bonnie,
Sounds like your ROM will be just fine when you are finally fully healed :egypdance:. Happy to read you were able to ride your excercycle with ease :upright:, can't wait for your first ride on a bicycle :biking:.

I am right behind you in needing orthotics, and will be getting new shoes soon.
:bicycle1:
 
Bonnie,
Sounds like your ROM will be just fine when you are finally fully healed :egypdance:. Happy to read you were able to ride your excercycle with ease :upright:, can't wait for your first ride on a bicycle :biking:.

I am right behind you in needing orthotics, and will be getting new shoes soon.
:bicycle1:
Ut oh.Chris @Pumpkln, do you have a leg length difference too? Maybe this is more typical in a revision?
 
do you have a leg length difference too?
I have had a leg length difference since I broke my leg in 1974, I use an 1/8" leg lift (one layer of green spenco does it). My pelvis can start rotating, inflaring, and shearing from my SI joint dysfunction, giving me what looks like an even bigger difference.

My LTKR foot has a high arch, and an ankle inversion moment at heel strike, my right foot has a rigid great toe, and a high arch. I feel an orthotic can fine tune this better than I can. I modify my own shoes to a point, doing your own posting can be a challenge with off the shelf stuff which is never quite right.

Hope you have another great day!
 
@RestAssured SOCKS 101...

We all look at cotton as a wonderful natural fabric...and for some things it is. I have many t-shirts made from cotton, but they are not and never will be my workout/athletic shirts. Working out I am in a "cool max, dri fit, dry max, clima fit" just to name a few trade names. Synthetic fabrics that keep you cool, wick away moisture, prevent friction.

Just imagine you are wearing a cotton t-shirt. Get caught in the rain, a huge downpour and you are soaking wet. That cotton t-shirt gets wet, heavy, stretches and loses it shape, takes forever to dry out. The same happens to your socks inside of your shoes. Your feet sweat whether you are an athlete or a couch potato. When your feet get sweaty in cotton socks, the socks get wet, stay wet, stretch out, bunch up or slide down into your shoe. This wet stretched out cotton becomes abrasive and causes friction, burning sensation and blisters.

A true technical sock is made from a polyester blend...NO cotton whatsoever. When you put it on, it keeps it's shape, wicks away moisture, keeps your feet dry and friction free and never slides down into your shoe. Thick or thin makes no difference. The thickness is a personal preference.

I am a thin sock wearer myself and something about that may be because I live in hot, hot, hot South Texas! If I have a shoe that is a little big on me, I'll wear a thicker sock just to take up space. I've attached a link where you can read about the benefits of these great socks. And...Tying your shoes Sonja...tight or loose, there is no rule other than your own comfort. Some times I see customers really cinch down and tie their shoes extra tight and it makes me cringe...me personally I tie mine loose, I even used to run many long distance miles in loosely tied shoes. That is what felt comfortable to me! Everyone's feet are different, it's all about comfort...no rules other than FEEL GOOD!!

https://www.active.com/running/articles/the-science-behind-your-socks
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Wow that was so informative. I learned a lot of things about socks. It makes a lot of sense about wearing cotton. My hubby swears by under armour clothing in the winter. Very warm and wicks away the moisture. I am looking for new socks for both of us!
 
Wow that was so informative. I learned a lot of things about socks. It makes a lot of sense about wearing cotton. My hubby swears by under armour clothing in the winter. Very warm and wicks away the moisture. I am looking for new socks for both of us!
Now you know @Jozilla no cotton socks. Most people when they put running socks on for the first time get that "awww" feeling...they do feel so good. My favorites socks by Balaga, Feetures, and Asics Nimbus socks!
 
I wear the Nike dri-fit shirts when I workout! They wick away the moisture, and I also wear an endur cool cooling towel around my neck that gets cooler the more I sweat! I love both of these items, and after wearing the shoestrings loose, I wonder why I cinched them up like a "corset" in the first place!:rotfl:

I will try my new socks on Monday, and report back!
 
Busy busy week this week...I started the week off with a horrible measurement in my ROM. THREE Physical Therapy days this week, had one patch of Dexamethasone on Wednesday and I got my RX for it filled that I picked up today. I ended the week with 117 1/2 degrees.just like my pattern goes...do good one week, do bad the next week, do better the following week. If that holds true then I should reach 120 degrees of non functional degrees next week! I've not told my husband that I plan on taking my bike out this weekend, we'll see what happens!

I've been learning lots of new things this week, taking notes as next Wednesday is the last day at work for the person I am replacing as manager. Yesterday I received a written up draft on the story about my surgeon featuring me with a pain free knee. Pain free from the revision but some soft tissue tendonitis! I'll attach the final copy of the press release when I get it...but it does say that he cleared me to walk the 1/2 marathon in January! More later...I'm tired! :alarm:
 
Well Bonnie,

My foot is healing rapidly and Abby already has me set up for training M-F next week so I will keep working on getting closer to my 13:35 goal! After all, the faster I reach it the better I can do at learning to maintain the pace!:happydance:
 
That pool is so stunning, good for you! Thanks for sharing, ade my knee feel happy just looking at it!



Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Well Bonnie,

My foot is healing rapidly and Abby already has me set up for training M-F next week so I will keep working on getting closer to my 13:35 goal! After all, the faster I reach it the better I can do at learning to maintain the pace!:happydance:
@RestAssured You are an awesome go getter Sonja, I am excited for both of us!!!
 
@RunA42K ,
I copied a post of yours about shoes from awhile back. I am going to repost it here, with the shoes, when members and surfers click on hastag shoes they will find this post and the information contained in the post.

Previous post of Bonnies regarding shoes and shoe types:

If you do NOT pronate and have a pretty high arch then Asics and Mizuno have some of the highest arched shoes. If you do NOT pronate then you are in the neutral category. Shoes in the neutral category are Asics Nimbus, Asics Cumulus, Mizuno Wave Rider, Mizuno Wave Creation, Saucony Ride, Saucony Triumph, Brooks Glycerin, Brooks Ghost New Balance 1080, and my new absolute favorite is the Adidas Energy Boost...omg they are so comfortable I own 6 pair now in different colors.

For those who do NOT pronate, who are neutral or might supinate (walk on the outside of their feet) then the top shoe for them is the Asics Nimbus, also cut gender specific, supportive and very cushioned.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom