Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie

Thanks @Pumpkln x x it's so upsetting when that happens x x x I was I. A terrible state when ours went and my daughters dog pass away In January, while I was in hospital. My brave daughter held it all together but I sensed something wrong and kept in at her. In the end when she got back she asked her dad to tell me x x I was beginning to get a bit paranoid thinking something more might've been wrong with me when I was stuck in hospital after TKR recovering from that chest infection!! I cried my eyes out when I found out about poor Millie. I used to look after her when they went in holiday. She used to visit on a Saturday too. She'd block the front door every Saturday until my daughter relented and out the dogs harness onto her. Millie loved coming to ours x x x
Love Nana moon 27 xxx
 
What a terrible time to have that happen ... they're family to us. I just had to put my Abyssinian cat to sleep - cancer in her stomach - and I still miss her. I can't afford another Abby, so I have a rescue. She's sweet but very N A U G H T Y!.
abby
 
Oh that is just the saddest thing I ever read. The poems got me, particularly @Tykey's one. It made me cry. It was so beautiful. Bless you Tykey. I don't know how @RunA42K coped. I totally got why she wanted to get under the anaesthesia, anything to be out of that emotional abyss we get when enduring the loss of a pet.

Well Bonnie your are a strong woman and despite all the setbacks etc you've done so well x

Love Nana moon 27 xxx
 
Oh Bonnie - I just read the beginning of your thread - thanks Pumpkln. How devastating to go into surgery like that. We just lost my daughters dog who lived with me on Mother's Day. Tykeys poem was beautiful. The house is way too quiet without a dog. I miss her presence. Hope all is well with your knee. Take care!
 
Hi @RunA42K

Anyway I really, sincerely hope that the Podiatrist can help you with an orthotic. It will be lovely for you to be able to get back to normal too x am I right in thinking you've had a second TKR in your right leg? If so why was that? I hope you don't mind me asking? x x x

Anyway it's so lovely to talk to you. Please stay in touch x
All my love
Nana moon 27 xxxx
Hi @Nana moon 27, sorry its taken me all day to get back to you. It's not been the best of days here...Thunder and lightening all night over night, Gracie was practically having a nervous breakdown, not much sleep going on here. I was up 2 hours before I was supposed to be at Physical Therapy and even though it would only take me 15-20 minutes to drive there, it took an hour because stop lights were out, street flooding and lots of slow, slow traffic.In the past 36 hours we've had 6 inches of rain at my house! Watching the news they are warning of wild critters coming closer to our homes as they have been flooded out of theirs. Alligators, snakes, mice (which the snakes follow) and turtles just to name a few.

I don't know if it is this weather we are having or what, but what a disappointment for me today at Physical Therapy. I had a hard time bending to 106 degrees. after several more tries with help, 110 was the best I could do and it didn't feel very good at all. June 2nd will be 6 months and the thought of scar tissue is still a worry for me. At 6.5 months with my first TKR I was at 135 degrees, but yes I know I can't compare, no two knees are the same even if they are in the same leg.

My left knee is fine, I've had 4 surgeries on my right knee. I had a scope in 2010, then a RTKR in March 2011, then a scope August 2013 to remove massive scar tissue in the TKR knee, then a total knee revision Dec.. 2, 2013. The revision was because there was never a day in two years and 8 months that my knee did not hurt, was always swollen, stiffness that took me from 135 degrees down to 72 degrees when I had the revision. My first TKR doctor left my ligaments too loose and my knee was "sloppy loose" as my new revisionist described it. The knew knee is much better as it does not hurt like the first one did, it straightens, but just does not bend enough...yet!

I went to work late this afternoon from 3pm till 7:30pm, every time I'd get up and move about my knee hurt and all my first steps started with a limp! Tonight I put Volteran Gel on my knee, thought I'd see if that would help it feel better.

So if I can rant for a bit... I have always had Physical Therapy on Thursday afternoons and I find out at work today that I am scheduled to work 10 am till 7 pm on Thursday. One of the college boys that usually works 3 till 7 is out of town so I got stuck with his shift in addition to my own. I've been trying to find someone all day to work that 3-7 portion but so far no luck. I am upset because I always work for others when there is something important they have to do. I'm still waiting to hear from 2 people tomorrow to see if they will work for me. Seriously, I don't even work Thursday afternoons...I go to Physical Therapy on Thursday afternoons, I shouldn't have to be jumping through hoops to get a shift covered that is not even mine :bawl:Its not like I just don't want to work...I just want to keep my Physical Therapy appointment!

So Nana Moon, I do hope that you are successful in weening yourself down some from the Morphine, you have a good plan to take less, but still enough that you can keep the pain away. I am sure that you are quite tired of being drugged! Were you bone on bone from Arthritis? That is what happened to me, arthritis ate away all the cartilage. Sure wish you didn't have to wait so long for the fluid draining and cortisone injections...but good things come to those who wait!!

Take care xoxo
 
Hi @RunA42K yes I was bone on bone from arthritis. My goodness your weather sounds proper scary. No wonder your poor little dog was scared silly. As for the critters oh my I don't know what I'd do xxxx I hope someone covers that shift, it seems so unfair to just automatically put it on you. What do you do for a living? Xxx
 
Oh Bonnie - I just read the beginning of your thread - thanks Pumpkln. How devastating to go into surgery like that. We just lost my daughters dog who lived with me on Mother's Day. Tykeys poem was beautiful. The house is way too quiet without a dog. I miss her presence. Hope all is well with your knee. Take care!

@Jozilla, @Nana moon 27, Yes those poems were beautiful, everyone was so nice and so caring. Every now and then I go back and read some of my early thread. It makes me sad but also shows me all the goodness in people too. Things are hard sometimes but the only thing to do is keep on keeping on or go crazy or fall apart. The summer of 2010 my knee was real bad...I went to visit my parents in Portland, Oregon. When I was to return home in a week I'd start Supartz injections on my right knee. A series of 5 injections that hopefully would help with cushioning the bone on bone joint. Before I could start my injections, I was called home two weeks later to come back to Portland because my Dad had a stroke. I flew back to Oregon and was able to spend about 10 hours with him, before he passed away. He was never conscious when I was there but I was hoping that he could hear me talk to him. He and my Mom had been married over 60 years. After the funeral I didn't return home, instead I stayed till the end of August to help my Mom. Limping around in agony I finally flew home with my Mom's blessing and started my series of 5 weeks injections. I kept waiting for them to work, but they were not. I asked for a cortisone shot and was told to wait one month. I waited and after a month I got the cortisone and it did not work. I'd been a long distance runner for much of my adult life, it was my passion as well as my social life. I lost my Dad, I lost running. I went in to have my knee scoped in November 2010 to see if that would help. It did not. That first doctor I had lead me to believe that I'd be getting better while he told my husband that I'd never run again. I kept waiting for myself to get better, I hurt and I'd cry all the time.

So March 2011 I went in for my TKR but before leaving for the hospital, my 14 year old Cocker Spaniel Molly fell into my swimming pool and drowned. I was so devastated. Recovery from that TKR was HORRID...I hurt so much and missed Molly so much. My job of 26 years, no one called to check on me or to say that they were sorry about Molly. I was truly depressed. I decided not to return to my job because it hurt me so much that they were so uncaring when I gave them 26 years of dedicated hard work. I could never quit crying...I immersed myself into my Physical Therapy and made some nice friends there. I still go to the same PT, they are like family now after 3 years and 6 months. By the time I was about 10 months post op I started losing the ROM that I had gained. Then February 2012, my husband fell ill and I took him to the emergency room and he did not come home for two months. For a full month he was on a ventilator and I would sit in his room every day for hours and hours just wondering if he would wake up. He never knew I was there. I would spend two months sitting in a hospital room, I spent my 60th birthday in his ICU, no cake or candles just watching and praying that he'd get better. I did no Physical Therapy during that time, all time spent was watching after him. I put 3,000 miles on my car driving back and for to the hospital, many nights sleeping in a chair in his room, the very first time I drove home to sleep in my own bed after two weeks, there had been an accident on the freeway (not me) but road debris on the freeway gave me a flat tire, I managed to limp home on a spare but before I could return the the hospital the next day I had to go buy a tire first. Driving home another night, late at night and falling asleep at the wheel and running into a curb to shake me up. By now my ROM was really getting bad and I was limping and had pain. Once my husband released from the hospital (he had to go to rehab hospital first to learn how to walk again) and when I could leave him alone for just a bit...I started back to see my OS and Physical Therapy again. It all continued to go downhill. My OS just kept blowing me off, telling me to take pain pills and go to Physical Therapy. I found a new doctor and when he said my knee was so full of scar tissue that it would have to be surgically removed, I can't tell you how happy I was because I knew that this would be the answer. Well...disappointed again. I had incredible pain that was as bad as bone on bone once again. The only good part was that removing the scar tissue would allow yet another OS (my revisionist) to see how my knee was actually functioning and alas...a Total Knee Revision December 2, 2013. So here I am, I've lost a lot and gone through a lot but I've persevered, and yes today I was quite upset that I could only painfully get to 110 degrees, but I've been through much worse and I'll work through this too. All I want is to be able to go down a flight of stairs and ride my bike outside. I don't think that this is asking for too much!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I hope someone covers that shift, it seems so unfair to just automatically put it on you. What do you do for a living? Xxx

Well since I was a runner and that was such a huge part of my life, both physically and mentally...I got myself a part time job in a Running Speciality Store. We sell running shoes and running clothes and gear. I have a lot of experience and advice that I can pass on to new runners and I can talk about running all day, even though I can't run anymore. Its fun, but sometimes I do get sad, especially before the Houston marathon (each January) when runners are in the store before and after the marathon talking with their excitement about the up coming race or the excitement afterwards. That is when I feel sad, because I am not a part of that anymore. But you know I did sign up to WALK the Houston 1/2 Marathon in January...after all, can't anyone walk 13.1 miles? I used to RUN 26.2 miles in 4 1/2 hours!
 
Well since I was a runner and that was such a huge part of my life, both physically and mentally...I got myself a part time job in a Running Speciality Store. We sell running shoes and running clothes and gear. I have a lot of experience and advice that I can pass on to new runners and I can talk about running all day, even though I can't run anymore. Its fun, but sometimes I do get sad, especially before the Houston marathon (each January) when runners are in the store before and after the marathon talking with their excitement about the up coming race or the excitement afterwards. That is when I feel sad, because I am not a part of that anymore. But you know I did sign up to WALK the Houston 1/2 Marathon in January...after all, can't anyone walk 13.1 miles? I used to RUN 26.2 miles in 4 1/2 hours!

Yes, there is just something about running that can't be replaced by anything else...at least for some...for some time. One of my old running partners had to quit running at the age of 49 due to a farm accident injury to his hip. Along with his brother, they were the first ultrarunners from Idaho in the 1970s. They spent many years together hiking and climbing in the west after halting running. Sadly, his younger brother who was a more accomplished runner (1987 top North American 24 hour run performance and 100 marathons under 3:00) died in his late 50s shortly after retirement. There is an 11,000' peak in Idaho which now bears his name. My friend, the older brother, could never attend a running event after stopping...it just hurt too much to no longer participate. He finally had his hip replaced and last year, at age 74, finished the most popular race in the Boise area walking and running a half marathon that climbs 2000' and drops a bit less.

Walking is just fine. I wish I could run again, but really it's just moving through space and time...does gait really matter? I never thought I would have to stop running at age 40, but I am glad I can walk and hike now. One foot after the other...just like running.
 
Walking is just fine. I wish I could run again, but really it's just moving through space and time...does gait really matter? I never thought I would have to stop running at age 40, but I am glad I can walk and hike now. One foot after the other...just like running.

So true @trailspud and it has taken me a very long time to get here. I am excited to be able to walk a 1/2 marathon because for over 3 years I could barely walk around a grocery store. My son said it best when he told me one day..."Mom, just be happy for all that you've done. You ran 24 marathons and most people will not run one in their lifetime. Remember all of the good times from running and know that you already accomplished more than most will ever attempt to do." Pretty astute from a 30 year old!

You know that I tried cycling after my first TKR and before I lost my ROM I was riding up to 50 miles at a time with a cycling club. It was not even 1/2 as fun as running, but ROM went and then I couldn't pedal a bike anymore. I'll be happy to walk and pedal a bike around my neighborhood now. A lot of adjusting for me to just be able to say that!
 
Nana Moon ...... Molly was a female breeding dog from a puppy mill. She was 4 when I got her and had already had 5 litters. The puppy mill was "done with her" and she was due to be shot the next day. The Rescue Group that stays tapped into these places in that area, went in and scooped up 4 Cavaliers. When I got her, she was a terrified, pathetic, little thing who trusted no one She's now 8 and she's not the same dog. Her tail never stops wagging, she thinks everyone is her friend, and couldn't be sweeter or happier. When I had my knee done, my son kept her for several weeks since I couldn't walk her, but when I got her back, she was on my thigh on the left and Daisy (my cat) curled up behind my neck. Talk about warm.
Our pets just seem to know when we don't feel good or are hurting ...... wouldn't it be nice if more people were like that.
abby
 
The two dogs that I have now are rescue dogs. A Border Collie that was dumped off the day after Christmas in 2006, she was scared, skinny, stinky, dirty, and so very shy of men especially. She would actually duck her head down when a man came near. I suppose a man use to hit her or abuse her in some way. She is 9 years old now, and the funnest, sweetest loving dog ever. Gracie is my miniature Dachshund. On the local news one night there was a story how the SPCA here in Houston raided a puppy mill and seized 81 Dachshunds in all different conditions. Some so sick they had to be put down, others pregnant, or nursing mothers. All that were ready went up for adoption and they went quick. We wanted one and when I got there there were only two left, both special needs. That is when I found my Gracie. She had heart worms, her teeth were brown and so rotten that it is toxic and in spite of having heart worms and not usually putting a dog under anesthesia in that condition it was the pick your poison kind of thing, if the anesthesia didn't kill her the teeth certainly would. After I adopted her she went in for dental work. $700 later and 8 teeth removed she was good to go until the heart worms were gone then she'd need more dental work. It took two years to get rid of the heart worms, taking meds on a strict schedule. Once she was heart worm free, she got her teeth worked on again and they removed 6 more teeth. My little Gracie has 14 teeth missing, but is healthy, happy and such a joy to us. They had used her for breeding, she was only two and she already had multiple litters of puppies. She is calm and quiet and layer next too me throughout all my surgeries. I love her so much...she follows me everywhere I go. My Border Collie Lucy also sticks by my side at all times, but is a little big to sit on my lap and be carried around. Rescue dogs are WONDERFUL pets!
 
a scope August 2013 to remove massive scar tissue in the TKR knee
Hi Bonnie, just catching up on how you are. You're a fighter and that's for sure. Can you clarify something for me? When you say `scope' to remove scar tissue do you mean arthroscopic arthrolysis? Why didn't this do the trick? Was it because the hardware was loose in addition to the scarring? Carol
 
today I was quite upset that I could only painfully get to 110 degrees, but I've been through much worse and I'll work through this too. All I want is to be able to go down a flight of stairs

ps: trying to get an accurate measure of bend is difficult. I thought with 110 you would be able to walk up and down stairs. Do you happen to know the minimum of flexion required to allow this? Carol
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • sistersinhim
    Staff member since March 20, 2017
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom