Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie

Bonnie .... I really think rescue dogs just "know" we saved them from something horrible and, maybe don't process it in their minds like we do, but in their own way are grateful. Aren't they treasures? I think doxies are so cute .... always wanted one. Enjoy.
abby
patient99 ... if I can interject here .... the scope means arthroscopic. I had that done a little over a year ago to clean out scar tissue and while the procedure itself was nothing compared to the TKR, my knee has not been right since. Four weeks after I had it done I fell on the kitchen floor, right on my knees, and I'm wondering if I've loosened it. I had a bone scan and will see my OS Monday ..... then we'll find out.
Take care.
abby
 
My son in law runs marathons. He's a big guy, tall and husky. Everytime I hear of another one he is in I want to ask him, "do you know what you're doing to your knees?" Obviously I don't say that, but I think it. He's 43 and has already mentioned that "occasionally" his knees hurt.
abby
 
I was a runner for years. My OS had done my meniscus surgery and said that my x-rays showed a lot of arthritic damage to my knees. He recommended that I stop running then. Did I listen? No, I had a 1/2 marathon to train for. 5 years later and many attempts at training for the 1/2 marathon and I am spending my summer getting 2 new knees. The run is now off my bucket list but maybe I'll walk it next year if I can find a training partner that will be open to listening to me chatter on for 26km!
 
Hi Bonnie, just catching up on how you are. You're a fighter and that's for sure. Can you clarify something for me? When you say `scope' to remove scar tissue do you mean arthroscopic arthrolysis? Why didn't this do the trick? Was it because the hardware was loose in addition to the scarring? Carol
@patient 99 Carol the 'scope' surgery that I am referring to is indeed Arthroscopic surgery, done under general anesthesia. The reason that this did not solve my problem was that the knee was sloppy loose (as the doctor called it). The implants, were solidly in place, it was that the ligaments were stretched and loose and did not hold the knee in place so all that sloppiness was continually inflaming the soft tissues and therefore growing scar tissue.
 
ps: trying to get an accurate measure of bend is difficult. I thought with 110 you would be able to walk up and down stairs. Do you happen to know the minimum of flexion required to allow this? Carol
@patient 99, Carol I cannot go down any stairs without hiking up my hip because my knee is not bending enough. I don't know what the minimum is for stairs but I can't do it at 110 degrees.
 
Oh, btw...It took 1 1/2 days but I got someone to cover the shift at work for me, a shift that was never mine to begin with. I'll get to go to Physical Therapy tomorrow and here's hoping that I can do better than I did on Tuesday.
 
Bonnie .... I really think rescue dogs just "know" we saved them from something horrible and, maybe don't process it in their minds like we do, but in their own way are grateful. Aren't they treasures? I think doxies are so cute .... always wanted one. Enjoy.
abby
@amberpep Abby, I totally agree, there is just something about rescue dogs where they do indeed know that you saved them and are forever grateful.
 
I had Physical Therapy on Thursday and saw my Podiatrist on Friday. First...Physical Therapy, although I was no where where was I last week as far as ROM goes, I did get to 113 without pain. My Physical Therapist did not want to push beyond that. It seems I am having another case of Pes Anserine tendinitis. Supposed to rest up to not let this flare up go any further and we'll see what next week brings.

Seeing my Podiatrist only confirmed what I knew to be true but this time with numbers. My right leg (TKR leg) is longer than my left leg by 1/2 inch. It was visible to the doctor and her assistant even before she took a measurement. She made me a temporary heel lift of 1/2 inch which I've been wearing in my shoe since yesterday, and OMG, it helps so much! Already I am feeling so much better. My left hip had been aching, my lower back and my left heel. That is so much better today. I will go back for impressions of my feet and my doctor will have flexible foam inserts made for me to wear in my shoes, with the left heel being 1/2 inch higher. I don't care if insurance pays for it or not, it is so much better already. My Doc says that should help with my TKR knee too since I am been walking out of whack for nearly 6 months now.

Here's hoping that Physical Therapy will be better on Monday coming up!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Bonnie :puppysmooze: :dogwalk:..... isn't it amazing how much difference 1/2" makes in our legs? It throws everything off. I'm really glad you have a good doctor who were able to see that and get you set up for whatever you will need. No wonder you have been hurting. This is probably a dumb question, but what is Pes Anserine tendinitis? I know what tendinitis is, but not the rest. Sounds painful though. Do you have any help at home with things around the house and with your dogs? Are you able to stand long enough to cook? I'm sorry you've run into this. Please keep me updated on how you're doing. When do you go back to the doctor? Seems getting over these things isn't always quite as easy as we've been told.
Take care of yourself,
abby
:doggie: :catbutterfly:
 
@amberpep Hi Abby, here is the link from the Bonesmart library. I had it with my first TKR too. This time we/I know what it is right off so I don't let it get away from me like the first knee.

Also I will go back to the doctor for impressions next week.

Pes Anserinus spasm and exercises Right smack dab on the side of the knee where these 3 tendons come together is where my pain is. They get tight, and hurt, as well as tender to the touch.
 
Happy to hear you are getting your leg length taken care, of and will have some new inserts. I am glad to hear you are getting
flexible foam inserts
. I will be interested in how you like them.
My insurance will pay for one pair a year, I want to wait until later.
Hope your pes ansernus settles down ASAP, so you can get back to your training.
 
I feel that my TKR leg is longer as well but I am getting my other knee done in July so I guess I should just live with it until then. Any thoughts on that?
 
@71Beetle, Hi Lisa, since you are having the second knee done I'd just stick it out till you find out what you end up with length wise. I've been wearing an over the counter heel insert since January that I bought at Walgreens, knowing that it was not high enough but did help some. You might try that until you are done with the other knee. There are no plans for a left knee for me, as it is fine, I've just had two RTKR's so my leg length will not be changing, so I will be happy to have a more permanent insert now. It will be the length of my shoe and I'll have it in both shoes, but a higher heel in the left.
 
I haven't had my surgery yet but is everyone's leg longer or shorter after surgery are was this due to other problems? Just curious.
 
walking the 1/2 marathon is Houston is a good idea if I can keep my self from breaking into a run. I have a competitive nature that takes over...if I am walking I hate it when someone runs past me. I think..."hey, I used to do that, and faster than you!"do.

OK, the HALF marathon! Ok, Abby has me walking 3 miles in our workout and she says I am not pushing myself! So, it is time to up the mileage!:loveshwr::happydance:
 
I haven't had my surgery yet but is everyone's leg longer or shorter after surgery are was this due to other problems? Just curious.
You will be back to your original height w the operated knee.
 
@RestAssured Sonja put your name in the lottery for the Houston 1/2 in January. It costs nothing to throw your name in, you'll find out about about the 24th of June if you are selected. Go to www.chevronhoustonmarathon.com I am already registered because I have done the Houston full marathon so many times that I get to bypass the lottery. It will be a nice goal for you. If you get picked in the lottery make a hotel reservation ASAP because they all sell out. I already have a room at the Hilton Americas the night before the marathon/1/2 marathon, I always stay downtown the night before. Its just easier with 25,000 people converging on downtown Houston on Sunday morning and trying to find a place to park. The hotels are listed on the marathon web site that I just gave you, they have special rates for marathon weekend.
 
I haven't had my surgery yet but is everyone's leg longer or shorter after surgery are was this due to other problems? Just curious.
Hi Jackie, no everyone does not end up with longer or shorter legs, so no need to worry now. I had a RTKR March 28, 2011 and both legs were still the same length. It is not until they took that TKR out and did a complete knee revision on me, new knee, new implants. It was in using a knee that fit better to stay snug within my ligaments made my TKR leg longer. It is a small price to pay for being able to walk pain free again.
 

Staff online

  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom