Revision TKR Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie

Good to hear that Dave is doing so much better and is at Rehab. I am sure your ROM will be back soon now that you can start PT.
All the best,
 
Bonnie, allow me (belatedly) to add my best wishes for yourself and Dave, I hope that he really is home by Easter.

On a practical level. You are clearly pressed for time! So, I'm sure your know yourself you don't have to go to PT to do ROM or extension exercises. For extension two chairs are all you need. For ROM you do the stretch where you lift one foot behind you, catch hold of it with your hand, and pull it towards your butt. If you can't lift your foot high enough to grab then you can use a belt or scarf or something to loop around the foot, or possibly hook your fingers in the back of your shoe. You can do this exercise of course anytime, anywhere. HTH.
 
Bonnie I just read up on your thread all you and your husband have been going through. I will certainly be keeping your family in my prayers. I hope things continue to improve and you guys are soon able to get back home and a healthier status.

Donna
 
One year bitter sweet anniversary!

Anniversary today of a not so good day. My total knee replacement is one year old today, but that means also that it is this day one year ago that my precious Molly died. Feeling sad today. I will go spend the morning with Dave at the hospital, then I actually go to work at the store few hours for the first time in about 50 days. I expected life to be great a year later but it obliviously is not.

Please don't get get wrong, I am so grateful for the blessing that Dave is going to be all right, I just expected to be in a different place one year post TKR. I have been to PT 3 times now in the past week. The ROM is coming back, much to my surprise I was measured at 127 yesterday. But with the work comes the stiffness, and here I am one year later with this horrible tight band feeling around my knee.

The best advice I can give any of you recovering, almost recovered and fully recovered, is to always keep moving, stay active, walk, ride a bike, do your knee bends and heel slides. The ROM can be so hard to gain but at the same time it is so easy to lose. Not that I could have done anything differently in my situation, sitting in a chair in ICU is nothing but sitting in a chair in ICU. I just learned from all of this, that no matter what the activity to just keep at it and keep moving. We work too hard to get to where we want to be to lose it.

Have a wonderful day everyone - happy birthday to my right knee! :doggieshmooze:
 
Bonnie,
Happy birthday to your knee, indeed! I just read back through your posts after being away from the forums for quite a while, and got caught up on your last couple of months of struggles. I am so sorry your husband was so ill and am so pleased that he is going to be coming home to you soon! You will both be in my prayers.

You have certainly been through so much and through it all you have done so with such grace and dignity. You are an inspiration for all of us who have had various forms of ups and downs during the recovery process. I just know that your ROM will come back in no time and we'll be hearing all about the next marathon that you'll do awesome in!

Hang in there and God bless to you and your family.
 
Bonnie. Happy Birthday to your right knee!

It's a bittersweet day. Although we are able to guide our life in certain directions, we're not in charge of the future. So, we celebrate little victories along the way. You gave Molly a good life and are continuing on with Lucy and Gracie. Dave is still with you (doesn't matter where), you have one job you are enjoying, and the ROM is there and you just have to encourage it to show up again.

It wasn't a great year. You didn't lose your spirit no matter what that year threw at you. That's a GOOD year.

Your advice at the end (keep moving, stay active) is a good one, physically, mentally and intellectually!

Hugs!

P.S. the bands around my legs say "Hi" to the band around your knee!
 
Bonnie,

Happy anniversary to your knee...sad anniversary to your Molly...may your memories comfort you...glad Dave continues to improve - next year will be a great year for you - I can feel it :)...warm thoughts and wishes,
xoxo,
Linda
 
Happy Anniversary to that knee! My thoughts are with you! Glad Dave continues to improve! Your day is coming Bonnie!
 
Happy knee anniversary, Bonnie! This past year for you proves that we never know what is in store for us. You have come through all this with determination, style and grace. The joys of this coming year will be even sweeter because of the challenges you have faced and conquered.
 
Bittersweet for sure - but you've made it through a tough year. Now you're due for a good one. Here's to you !:cheers_wine:
 
I am an optimist. It does not seem too much use being anything else.
-Winston Churchhill
​
Hi Bonnie, this quote seems to describe your spirit. I hope you & Dave will be peeling colorful, hard boiled eggs at home on Sunday.

Happy Birthday to your knee & sweet memories of Molly as my huge lab moves my office chair away from the keyboard!​
 
I am so sorry about the loss of your dog. :cry4: She'll be watching you run those 1/2 marathons again from her humble home in heaven.

Susan
 
And Happy Birthday/Anniversary to your knee! I am looking forward to the passing of time. At ten weeks, I find the tightness to be such a "drag." I'm hoping to lose the consciousness of its presence as time goes on. It seems like it's always there. You described it perfectly.

You are my hero - running a half marathon at 9.5 months. It's been inspiring to read about your success and gives me the confidence to keep working hard. I am an avid traveler and hiker and biker. Though riding bike again at half the distance I was up to previously, hiking is more weight bearing and proves more challenging.

Yesterday I did walk the tractor path down to the creek and climbed about some of the piles of rocks and such. Needless to say, when I came home, I could feel the "pulling." Not pain, just stiff. I am SO tired of that part.

:tantrum2:

Susan
 
Hello again Gardengirl and nice to meet you Susan! Thank you both or your kind words, they mean so much!

I have been absent for a few days, and I apologize for that. Still waiting for my easy going normal life to return. whatever that is....

I have had some low days where all I want to do is cry, usually when I am alone. But I have gone to PT 3 days last week and I can say that just walking down my stairs I can tell that my ROM is improving again. I did get up to 127 last Tuesday, but on Thursday I was stiff and sore and only got to 121 ROM. I will go this afternoon and am hopeful I can do good again.

Yesterday I took time for myself (at Dave 's) insistence and got a pedicure! It was heavenly! Yesterday I finished up my taxes and got them filed too. That shoud take some of the stress away. I did go to work two times, just 4 hours on Wednesday and Friday afternoon. It was a very nice distraction for me!

Dave is still in his rehab hospital, no talk about his release yet, but he still cannot stand up from a sitting position with out help. Friday his BP stayed too low so no PT for him. His white count is slightly elevated so he is back on antibiotics again. They had to put him back on the Foley catheter as well. So no...we are not quite there yet. I guess it is just that he was so sick for so long, that it just takes a long time to get better. He can only walk with a walker.

Hopefully I can spend a little more time with my BoneSmartie family now that my taxes are done! All my best to all of you! Pretty soon the running reports will begin!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom