Revision TKR Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie

Hi Bonnie
I have not been around for a few days due to the website issues. I send a belated Happy Birthday and hey don't worry about age, you look amazing and it's only a number. I am so pleased Dave is making steady progress and will be in a rehab unit soon. Good wishes to you both and give those pooches a squeeze from me xxx
 
Bonnie,
you will do it, one piece at a time. It is all any of us can do.
you have already taken some steps to get back to whatever "normal?" really is?

I know I had a very difficult time finding "purpose" after some similar events. I just kept trying to put "routine" back in place one piece at a time, as I could add something I did. ONE thing at a time, as I got good at it? I found another thing.

again be kind to you! you have been through a lot an it is NORMAL to feel a let down, your mind, body and heart have been through a huge ordeal.

continued prayers for you and for Dave.
 
Bonnie,
you will do it, one piece at a time. It is all any of us can do.
you have already taken some steps to get back to whatever "normal?" really is?

I know I had a very difficult time finding "purpose" after some similar events. I just kept trying to put "routine" back in place one piece at a time, as I could add something I did. ONE thing at a time, as I got good at it? I found another thing.

again be kind to you! you have been through a lot an it is NORMAL to feel a let down, your mind, body and heart have been through a huge ordeal.

continued prayers for you and for Dave.

Catherine, you are awesome and I thank you so very much. You really do know what it is like. But here are some updates...they are good.

On Tuesday evening March 20, Dave was transferred out of St. Luke.s Hospital to a Rehabilitation Hospital that is just 10 miles from my house. It is a wonderful facility and so far we are extremely pleased. We were nervous to have him taken on that gurney by ambulance to his new hospital because we were leaving our comfort zone, but it has turned out great. I was there some some of his PT yesterday, and got to see him take a few steps. He is in a wheel chair, cannot stand up on his own nor sit on his own. He has lost about 75% of his muscle mass, he is skin and bones. He works with occupational therapists, physical therapists, and speech therapist. He actually has to learn to swallow correctly again after being on the ventilator so long. Maybe in early April he can come home, but since we have a two story house with bedrooms upstairs and there are 14 stairs he needs to be ready to come home. At least when I had my TKR and I had to do the stairs, I had one good leg and core strength, he has neither...

But with that being said it is all good and getting better. I have gone to PT two times now and it seems to be helping some. I will see my OS this morning and talk about my lost ROM which is over 20 degrees. I was measured at 110 on Wednesday and back in October I had 137 ROM. I'll let you know later today what he has to say. Maybe I can be of help to someone else looking for lost ROM too!

Still trying to post some pictures too, and I will get them up as well.

Have a wonderful day BoneSmarties, rest well, ice elevate, do your exercises short of over doing it! Thank you again for all of your support, thoughts and prayers! I am on my way back!

:doggieshmooze::doggieshmooze::doggieshmooze:
 
Welcome back to the better side. May you both continue to recover your lives.
 
I'm thrilled at Dave's progress, and I wouldn't be too concerned about your ROM loss.
You had it before, you will get it back.
There were more important things to attend to...Life does that. It sometimes gets in your way and you need to take a detour to get back on the right track!

Do you have space on your 1st floor that you can set up a bed/recliner for Dave when he comes home?

When I fell apart in June with my knee and back, I was unable to climb stairs, so my hubby brought our bed down into the living room!!!

We are still here as I recover from my revision. (My yellow Lab, Max can't climb the stairs either, so I'm not moving!!! I can't sleep unless he is there!)
May bth of your recoveries continue in the right direction!
Best,
Sandy
 
Hi Bonnie
How lovely to read your report knowing you have your beloved close to home now - I'm so pleased Dave is making good progress. Hugs to you both xxx
 
Hey Bonnie! Glad to see you with such good news about Dave. I'm not worried about you cause I know that you'll get back to where you were (and a bit further) in short order.

Hugs!
 
It's so great to continue to hear the good news, Bonnie!!! I'm so relieved.

And as for your comment about Dave not having any "core strength" right now. I suppose that's true ... BUT .....I think BOTH of you have STRENGTH to the CORE!!! That is more important than anything else. The other "strength" will come.
 
Great to hear how well your Dave is doing and I am full of admiration for how you have coped with everything you've gone through over the last few weeks. Upward and onward, Bonnie! Spring's here and Dave will be home soon.

When my husband was coming home from hospital and couldn't do stairs we had a bed downstairs too. The Occupational Therapists from the hospital visited the house and advised on equipment we'd need. We had a few things provided by the NHS including a hospital bed - will your hospital offer advice and equipment? If Dave needs a bed downstairs a hospital rock'n'roller might be better for him than an ordinary divan for a while as he recovers his strength.
 
Hi, Bonnie -

To my everlasting shame I must confess that I have never really read all the way through your thread until today. I have been sitting here crying buckets of tears.

May the Lord be with you and Dave and your family. I have said several prayers about you this afternoon. Please forgive me for not following this sooner.
 
Thank you for your prayers Ruby Sue. It is ok, there are many threads here and hard to get to them all. Surely you didn't read through my entire thread, it is almost a year old...starting with the day of my TKR surgery that my beloved 14 year old dog Molly died. It has been a hard year with lots of ups and downs. I am hoping thar beginning Aoril that there will be much less worry and stress.
 
Just think of this, This past year has been so bad that there is no way to go but 'UP".
At least, that is what I'm thinking about my last 2 years!
 
Just think of this, This past year has been so bad that there is no way to go but 'UP".
At least, that is what I'm thinking about my last 2 years!

That is how we have to think Sandy, that is how we survive! When 2012 arrived we all said that this would be a good year, with my TKR and all the pain leading up to it in 2011, then my daughters divorce (which still is not over with yet) we all agreed that 2012 would be good. So far it has not but it is still early we can start in April and have the best 8 months of the year ever!
The cup is always 1/2 full, never 1/2 empty! :yes 4:
 
You're so right, Bonnie! There are always things to be thankful for. I think of you every day and hope that your challenges are beginning to lessen a bit. You and your family are still in my prayers. ((((HUGS)))))
 
Thank you for your prayers Ruby Sue. It is ok, there are many threads here and hard to get to them all. Surely you didn't read through my entire thread, it is almost a year old...starting with the day of my TKR surgery that my beloved 14 year old dog Molly died. It has been a hard year with lots of ups and downs. I am hoping thar beginning Aoril that there will be much less worry and stress.

I did read the whole thing and the tears started with the loss of your Molly (I don't know what I would have done if I had lost my beloved 17-year-old cat Ruby, who spends many hours in my lap making me feel better). And the scare with your husband was so sobering - I could not have recovered without my hubby Steve, who has done everything for me.

I sincerely hope better days are ahead!
 
:doggieshmooze:Saw my OS yesterday for my almost one year check up...I went just a bit early because of the loss of ROM I have had. I had several X-rays and my mechanical knee is in great shape, solidly in place. I didn't doubt that but my problem is all in soft tissues. The Doc said, that since I had the ROM before that it will return, I just have to work like I did in the early days. So he wrote me out a RX for PT for the next month 3 days a week. I am trying to get it all scheduled so I can still spend time visiting with Dave too at his rehab hospital. Yesterday i spent 7 hours with him, watched his rehab, pushed him around the grounds in his wheel chair and had a hospital dinner in his room with him. Then today I even spent a couple of hours starting to work on my taxes too. Slowly, bit by bit things will be normal again. Maybe Dave could be home for Easter!? No one told me that...just wishful thinking!:yay:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom