Revision TKR Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie

Hi Bonnie, I was just about to sign off for the night and your post popped up and all I can say is FANTASTIC NEWS MY FRIEND, I am so pleased Dave is making such good progress. You must be so pleased - love and hugs to you both and a big cuddle to your lovely dogs xxxx
 
I started writing this yesterday on the 13th of March (my birthday) and finally finishing this post on the 14th of March.

It was a bitter sweet day, not like any birthday I've ever had before. I did go to PT this morning, something for myself, I love them there. Disappointed to find that I have lost 20 degrees of ROM since Dave has been hospitalized. I spent the rest of the day in ICU, until my daughter came and took me to dinner. She didn’t want me to sit alone in the hospital cafeteria for 2 hours on my birthday. I left for the 2 hours ICU break and Dave was able to eat hospital food in his room for the very first time since Feb. 12th. Once Jake (my son) arrived at ICU I opened some presents from my family. Started getting late and said goodnight to Dave and left for the long drive home. I called my Mom and my sister Linda as I drove, they sang happy birthday to me over the phone. No candles to blow out this year...but I still have a husband, great kids, family and many wonderful friends!

What I have learned this past month in almost losing Dave, is that there are no guarantees in life. My new knee may be wear tested for 30+ years...but will I even be here 10 years from now? Who knows? I am going to do what makes me happy while I live my life on this Earth! Got to start getting my knee back in shape because I will run the full Houston Marathon next January 2013, my 25th marathon! Age is just a number...I am the youngest 60 year old I know!

The hospital called me this morning and told that Dave was well enough to move out of ICU later today. He has met all his criteria, and as of this morning no tubes or wires going into him. He will go to a regular room later today or tomorrow in what they call 'The Tower' at St. Luke's still in the med center. Thank you for all your prayers! He will have in house rehab for a while too, so I have no idea when he will get to come home yet, but by far the worst is over.

The poor boy working at Starbucks yesterday as I drove through was so chipper and nice. He greeted me asking if I was having a great day…I looked at him and said “you really don’t want to know…He says, sure I do, what’s wrong?” I looked right at him and said, “Today is my birthday, I am 60! (he replied 60 is good) I went on to say my husband has been in the hospital for one month, and I need this coffee to keep me awake (2pm) to drive to the medical Center!” With that I raised my paper cup latte to him as in a toast and said “Happy Birthday to me!” I drove off….

I will try my best to be a better Bone Smartie now! XO
 
Bonnie, I'm glad to hear things are going better. You did a good job of putting things in perspective. Sometimes these challenges in life actually turn out to be important milestones that help us clarify things. I love hearing that you intend to focus on the REALLY meaningful things in life. It sounds like you are gonna pack a lot into each day from now on.

I hope Dave's move to his new digs goes well tomorrow. That is a huge step forward for him! Please let him know that we're still praying for him. We want to hear that he's headed HOME!!!
 
Bonnie, yes you lost 20' ROM, but I am darn sure that you helped to save your husband!! You should be able to gain your ROM back with your attitude, and by the way, 60 looks pretty good on you!!! At least you were with your family on your birthday, albeit in pieces, but... There can always be a retro 60th when Dave gets home!! A funny aside. After Lou ( my 1 st hubbie) came home, I had a surprise 30th birthday party for him. He was a undercover narc cop with tons of friends. Well, we told people that while the party was for him, we pretended it was for me!! He kept inviting random people to "my" surprise party, and I am behind him like an idiot telling people that the party was really his. So crazy funny. It really stinks right now, nothing makes sense, or is anticlimatic, but he is alive, with a long road ahead, much like yours with your knee up until your marathon!! You guys will be okay, God willing,, sorry so long winded, too much déjà vu!!!
 
:flowerysmile:Bonnie -I think you are exactly what BoneSmarties are supposed to be - supporting others when you can and seeking support when you need it. May this birthday be the beginning of a wonderful new journey:cheers_wine: (from another recent 60 -year-er...)
 
Bonnie,

So glad to hear the good news about Dave, that's a big step in the right direction. Continued good luck in the days ahead, and hope HOME is coming soon.

Belated Happy Birthday, 60 is not so bad, nobody would accuse you of being that age, you wear it well.
 
Great news Bonnie. Happy birthday, my wife's birthday is the same day as yours. The numbers are meaningless and attitude is everything. You have a youthful attitude that will stay with you for many years.
 
Bonnie,
I read your post and somehow it was familiar in a somewhat uncomfortable way... not that I have been in your shoes? but I have experienced the day after day crisis of a family member very very ill. Some how we can PUSH through in a crisis, we can always find more, we find a way.
What I have found is as the crisis ends? the required determination to get through each day? the fire that we found each day - day after day,,, starts to lesson, and I think the true scope of what we have been through... we can "now" feel the weight of it. While when we were in the middle of it? no weight was too much for us to bear as we HAD to do it. But it also tells you... YOU are strong, you are STRONG.

I think you are an amazing person and I have never met you. as Jamie said these experiences have put things in perspective.

From far away, I have been on the edge of my seat each day to see how things were going for you and Dave. You have survived, Dave has also survived and that is a TRUE blessing.

Be kind to yourself, I'm thankful that you are a year older, I will be thankful later this year I'm a year older too. And as I tell my older friends I'm "counting" on them to be a year or 2 older than me for MANY years to come. That is a GOOD thing!

So be kind to you, I KNOW you will do it, I KNOW you will run that FULL marathon next year JUST like you will get your ROM back. Find some time for some TLC maybe a massage.

HUGE hugs from Oregon and I'm SO thankful that Dave is making such wonderful progress.
 
Bonnie....I have just spent a time reading thru your thread and seeing what an amazing person you are. You are truly and example of what "in sickness and health" truly means. I am so pleased that Dave is now making some major positive steps. Between God and medical science, the battle seems to have some kind of an end in sight.

I am so proud of your friends and family who have tried to take care of you. Very hard thing to take care of one's self when our love is so desperately ill.

Hope the week continues to bring good reports.
 
Bonnie,
I read your post and somehow it was familiar in a somewhat uncomfortable way... not that I have been in your shoes? but I have experienced the day after day crisis of a family member very very ill. Some how we can PUSH through in a crisis, we can always find more, we find a way.
What I have found is as the crisis ends? the required determination to get through each day? the fire that we found each day - day after day,,, starts to lesson, and I think the true scope of what we have been through... we can "now" feel the weight of it. While when we were in the middle of it? no weight was too much for us to bear as we HAD to do it. But it also tells you... YOU are strong, you are STRONG.

I think you are an amazing person and I have never met you. as Jamie said these experiences have put things in perspective.

From far away, I have been on the edge of my seat each day to see how things were going for you and Dave. You have survived, Dave has also survived and that is a TRUE blessing.

Be kind to yourself, I'm thankful that you are a year older, I will be thankful later this year I'm a year older too. And as I tell my older friends I'm "counting" on them to be a year or 2 older than me for MANY years to come. That is a GOOD thing!

So be kind to you, I KNOW you will do it, I KNOW you will run that FULL marathon next year JUST like you will get your ROM back. Find some time for some TLC maybe a massage.

HUGE hugs from Oregon and I'm SO thankful that Dave is making such wonderful progress.
Catherine, I think that you hit the nail on the head. I have been wondering what I will do with myself once I have a normal life again. Yes, we are strong while we are going through it, because we have to be...although some times I feel like falling apart! But I have been so wrapped up in this for so long that it has taken over my life. I have not gone to work, I spend very little time at home, I miss seeing my dogs as often as usual, things need to be done at home and yes, I am still worrying about those taxes too!...But I can see an end in sight, because this week Dave will be released to go to a rehab hospital. That decision should come in the next 24 to 48 hours. So no he is still not coming home, but he will be closer to home and should make my time be spread a little less thin and I can go to PT for myself again too. I do have an appt with my OS on Friday the 23rd to talk to him about my loss of ROM. I just wonder how easy it will be to not living on the edge anymore. Ideally I should like it, but like you said, you get to wrapped up in it all, you just live in the moment and don't quite know how to get back...Does that make sense?

Thank you all you wonderful Bone Smarties for all of the support and prayers that you have given to me and Dave and my kids. You are the best! xo :doggieshmooze:
 
Bonnie. If there was a BoneSmartie Award, you would be the 2012 winner! And Happy Belated Birthday!

Hugs.

PooShay...you are a hoot, I just love your upbeat attitude all of the time! :hysterical:

Love the pics of those knees too!:thumb:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom