Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie

Re: I am on the other side now, friends!

Deezee, my OS is basically OK with running. He sees no reason for people that can't can't run or be as active as they want. The only thing he basically doesn't want to see me doing, is skiing. Well, I don't ski anyway. Some months ago at my last visit, he didn't bat an eye when I said I was running on the treadmill. His stance on it, if it hurts back off, if it doesn't, go for it.

And I'm still fairly heavy.

But you are still right Mama Hen!!
 
Re: I am on the other side now, friends!

Life does throw those nasty obstacles in our path...with a little help & support we can leap over those hurdles.
Your daughter is blessed to have a mother like you. Your strength & encouragement will help re-establish her self-esteem from such an abusive man. Not being sexist, but there are very women out there, too.
The stocks, our retirement funds ...what can we say.....
I'm just thankful to be alive and well. Maybe someone is telling us to live more simply and focus on God, family and friends 1st , not on our 401K's, 403B's, material wealth or material "wants".

But, I'm so happy you're enjoying running/jogging again!
Take care!
Darlene
 
Re: I am on the other side now, friends!

It's true. I used to work with a guy whose wife threw china plates at him frequently! And even hit him with them sometimes!!
 
Re: I am on the other side now, friends!

After a week of waiting for the cortisone injection to work on my tendinitis, it is obvious that it is not helping. All it did was give me a big bruise on my leg. The OS is having me start up again with the cortisone patches doing Iontophersis which worked last time. I got a patch yesterday and will repeat that today (Wednesday) and Thuesday.

I want to thank all of you for the well wishes to my daughter. She is a strong person and will survive this although it is a rocky road right now. She and her 3 dogs moved in with me and my husband for about 2 weeks now. Since the soon to be EX has such a volatile temper, it is better for her here and we are happy to be here for her. We are very proud of her for saying that she has had enough from this guy! I will continue to work 3 days a week at the running store until Sept 7, then on the 8th get started back at my old job. I will work at the running store from time to time, just not on a regular basis. If you remember the trouble I had before at my old job about walking so far each day (the length of a football field) 4 times a day, my employer would not help me with a closer spot...well my doctor has renewed my disability parking tag so for another 6 months I won't have to worry about that!
 
7 months post op and 137 ROM!

Hello friends, it has been a while...last post was August 17. Tomorrow I will be 7 months post op so I just wanted to check in and let you know that I am doing great. You remember how I worried early on that I would never be able to bend my knee again? Well with a lot of patience and hard work, my ROM is at 137! So for you newbies out there don't lose hope or get discouraged it does take time, but it will come. Extention is perfect too. I have great insurance and I still work out at PT twice a week, strengthening mostly, legs, core and upper body. I can single leg press with my TRK leg 70 pounds. I can bench press 60 pounds! Life is going great. I didn't go back to driving the school bus after all, I do work in the running store 4 mornings a week. My daughter is still going through her divorce and I still have the two grown kids and 6 dogs here at home. I walked a 5K in mid September, Tuesday of this week I alternated walking/jogging for 4 miles and will do a 5k this coming Saturday. I will start increasing my distance now that I am feeling good to get ready for my 1/2 marathon in January. I ride my bike a lot too! So I will keep working hard, my good knee is ROM 142 and TKR knee 137 so I have 5 degrees to go, I know I can do it!
:doggieshmooze:
:dancy:
:yahoo:
:yes 4:
 
Re: 7 months post op and 137 ROM!

Thats awesome Bonnie!!! Glad to see it and hope you get your goals!
 
Re: 7 months post op and 137 ROM!

Bonnie what a great report!! Glad you checked back in to let us know how you are doing. Way to go!:thumb:
 
Re: 7 months post op and 137 ROM!

Bonnie.....how wonderful to hear from you and to get that wonderful report on your success. You have set a wonderful example of just what patience can achieve. Please let us hear from you now and then. These "good news" posts are always an upper for everyone!
 
Re: 7 months post op and 137 ROM!

Aces - always good to hear from all you guys that are moving on.
 
Re: 7 months post op and 137 ROM!

Bonnie that's great progress! It really helps to read such good news when you're in that place where you believe that knee will never bend again!

Keep up the good work:biggrin:
 
Re: 7 months post op and 137 ROM!

Congrats Bonnie! I'm thrilled for you.:biggrin:

Success stories, like yours, are so uplifting to those of us still on our TKR journey & who, like you, are hoping & praying for a successful outcome.:prayer1:

You attributed your success to patience and hard work. Anything in particular that you felt was especially helpful in your recovery? If so please advise.

Best of luck attaining those last few degrees of ROM, although 137 is terrific already!:wow2:

At just over three (3) mos. post LKTR, my ROM is now 0-126. My OS told me was confident that over time I'd reach 140. I hope he's right.

Best of luck. JMB
 
Re: 7 months post op and 137 ROM!

Bonnie, your success story is certainly very inspirational to those who are considering joint replacement but feel that it may put a damper on things. Your journey has not been without a few difficulties but you persevered and continued to push toward your goals and you are now enjoying the fruits of your labor. I look forward to your half marathon report and we'll probably see a new avatar of you crossing the finish line of your first marathon post-TKR.
 
Re: 7 months post op and 137 ROM!

I am inspired by your success. I am at 6 mos post BTKR, and am not nearly where you are. It does give me hope when I read stories like yours that maybe someday, I will be as successful.
 
Re: 7 months post op and 137 ROM!

Thank you everyone for all of the wonderful replies! It truly has been a very long and hard road and I have had to learn the hard way several times to just slow down. I have basically been going to PT 3 days a week since April and always working hard, I never said no, I always said just let me try. I did have 3 different bouts with Pes Anserine tendinitis, and at my 6 month check my doctor said I was just doing too much! He said, "you have set the bar so high for yourself, which in of itself is not a bad thing, but that you are always being so hard on yourself for not being perfect." He went on to say, "I have knee patients that would be so happy if they could live the rest of of their lives where you are right now. It is ok to want more and to work toward it, but slow down and it will come!". So I took it to heart and talked to my awesome PT and said we need a new plan. So Monday's are heating up the knee, Russian Stim, biking, leg press, wall squats, walking forward lunges, etc., Wednesday, heat the knee, use inferential Stim, biking, then just work on upper body and core. Thursday is ROM knee day, heat the knee, Russian Stim, biking, bending, measuring and once I get my ROM we go heavy on leg strengthening doing all kinds of stuff with and without weights. It seems to be working fine for me. I still ice after the hard days at PT, and put my feet up when I can. Rest is good, but...with activity to keep moving, bending and strengthening. I did my 5K this morning, it felt so awesome to be out participating again! Tomorrow is biking!! Stay positive, believe that you will succeed and you will. I was not satisfied with just being recovered, I wanted "me" back, the athletic me and I know now I am on my way albeit slowly! I met a man who came into the store, both knees were TKR's one 15 years old one 3 years old. His ROM in both knee's were 72! It was then I realized how blessed that I was. He said he did not do his physical therapy, let it go too long, sitting on the couch and now he can't even put on his own shoes. I realized that I had no right to complain about anything! You betcha that one day you will see my new picture crossing the marathon finish line, I won't have it any other way!
:yay:
:yes 4:
:hysterical:
:doggieshmooze:
 
Re: 7 months post op and 137 ROM!

Gee, Bonnie, your regime of exercise made me exhausted just reading it! But all power to you, girl.

Just please, please keep in touch from time to time. I want to know how you are doing!
 
Re: 7 months post op and 137 ROM!

Bonnie,

Thanx for sharing your PT regimen. I plan on sharing it w/my PT and maybe start incorporating some of your exercises into my routine.:thumb:

I also like your advise & insight on not working your new knee too hard.:DOH:. I've suffered from the same "more is better" attitude. Thankfully, I've learned over the past 3+ mos. from my BS'er friends, from experience, and from my OS, to be more patient and WORK SMARTER, NOT HARDER!

Best of luck w/your continued recovery. JMB

 
Re: 7 months post op and 137 ROM!

I have to wonder what your doc would think of me... I know mine doesn't bat an eye when I tell him what I'm up to.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom