Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie

Re: My TKR is making loud noises...

Great story, Bonnie......told you how wonderful it can be to keep your heart and mind open to new experiences. You are a gem!

I'm happy to know that your knee is okay too. Your doc said the same as mine. I did fall directly on the knee and he told me I was fortunate not to have damaged the patella....said it can be a bit "dicey" to repair as there is not much to work with. So....good for BOTH of us!
 
Re: My TKR is making loud noises...

Oh yeah...and my doctor also explained to me what each noise was that my knew was making! I have nothing to worry about!
 
Re: My TKR is making loud noises...

:thumb: Sounds like you have a great doc there, Bonnie!
 
Re: My TKR is making loud noises...

Bonnie,

My doc who never gave me any rules for the tkr and who agreed with me that I could drive at 3 days----was ADAMANT that I would not use clips for the first year after the surgery.

I rode me bike a lot--starting at about 3 weeks---I ride with a group that does a 20 mile ride every Tuesday and Thursday.

I rode without clips for the first year---finally I go the kind that you slip your foot into---I just needed more control of the bike. I have a really lightweight (15 lbs) carbon fiber bike and It was hard to stand up and pedal when I was not clipped in.

I had decided to clip in this summer--but my doc told me he loves those clips because they bring him lots of business!!! Two people in my bike group crashed when they could not get their foot loose. So, for now, I ride with the clip on pedals---I leave them off most of the time and slip into them when we hit hills. That seems to be a good compromise. Of course, we can't ride now until May!! Kelly
 
Re: My TKR is making loud noises...

Hi Skigirl! Thanks for the info. I don't' know if I mentioned it before but I did take my bike back into the bike shop and had them remove my clip less peddles. I was using the type that you wear the special bike shoes with so my foot was attached to the pedal through the shoes. I decided just like you said, I had to get good and comfortable on the bike itself before returning to the clip less pedals.

As far as not riding till May, I can understand that! I used to live in Lakeside, Montana and we were buried in snow for as many months. My sister actually took a fall vacation to Whitefish several months ago and run a 1/2 marathon that you had there. She sent me lots of pictures, it was beautiful just as I remembered. Of course now I am in far South Texas and we can only pray for a few snow flakes if we are lucky!!

I do thank you for your input as it is nice to read how others ahead of you have paved their way through recovery!

:doggieshmooze:
 
6 miles today 1/2 marathon next weekend!

Well friends, I am happy to report that I had a great 6 mile run this morning! Next weekend is the Houston 1/2 marathon and I am going to do it. Although it breaks my heart not to run the full marathon I am not ready for that...yet!

This past week, I saw my OS and got new X-rays of my TKR after running on it for a couple of months and two good bike falls. (He did not know about the running, but he knew about the bike falls). My X-ray showed that my hardware is solidly in place, bone grown around it, the doc said it looked fantastic. So with that I decided that I would go ahead and run the 1/2 marathon on January 15, that I registered for back last May.

My PT got to work on soft tissues Thursday, and just like we've talked about here in the forum, working on all that scar tissue in my quad, calves, and hamstrings really loosened my knee up. My 6 mile run this morning was the best yet. No soreness, no pain, no swelling at all.

Yes, I am under trained for a 1/2 marathon right now...but long distance running is a mental thing, yes your body does the work but your mind has the will to make the body work. I will do just fine!

So January 15, 2012 RunA42K will actually run a 21K (13.1 miles)
at 9.5 months post op! So excited, can't wait!! :yahoo::yay::hysterical::thumb:
 
Re: 6 miles today 1/2 marathon next weekend!

No soreness, no pain, no swelling at all.

That's brilliant, Bonnie, did the new knee feel exactly like the old one.?
When I run (nowhere near as far as you), I can still feel it, but no pain or sweling
 
Re: 6 miles today 1/2 marathon next weekend!

I am really glad to read of how great you are doing, and that the report and the X-Rays showed how well you are healed!

Best of luck to you next weekend! Enjoy the run and enjoy your freedom gained from not only the new knee, but all of your hard work!
 
Re: 6 miles today 1/2 marathon next weekend!

I'm very jealous. But I really doubt I'd be doing a half marathon even by now! Without my setbacks. Good luck!
 
Re: 6 miles today 1/2 marathon next weekend!

Wow... that is great Bonnie! You must be really excited. I remember when you thought you would not be able to bend your knee and now here you are running 6 miles and a half marathon in a week. Way to go!! :yes 4:
 
Re: 6 miles today 1/2 marathon next weekend!

Well that is exciting. Congratulations!

I'm so amazed at people who run. I never ever could run very far at all, and I'm a very active person. My knee recovery was pretty difficult so, for me, it was an accomplishment to work a medical station at the Marine Corps Marathon.
 
Re: 6 miles today 1/2 marathon next weekend!

I am glad to hear you are doing so well. I can't wait till I can get back to running again. I never was a distance runner but I enjoyed hitting the track and trying to beat my previous times. My goal is to come back and be able to pass the police department's PRB test. It is not required for the civilian workers I just want to see if I can do it . The only thing I probaly won't try is the agility test I don't know if the sharp turns would be advisable on a TKR. But success stories like yours gives me hope that I could be running again and maybe one day I will try a marathon
 
Re: 6 miles today 1/2 marathon next weekend!

That's brilliant, Bonnie, did the new knee feel exactly like the old one.?
When I run (nowhere near as far as you), I can still feel it, but no pain or sweling

Tykey, I can say that when I took off running the best description was that it felt natural. Of course I am always thinking about my new knee. 1. because I feel like I am being naughty when I run and 2. just because it is there. It is 24 hours later since I finished my 6 miler and I can say that there is not any swelling, both knees look the same and I came down the stairs just fine when I woke up today. In other words...no side stepping.

I can tell you that last night I dreamed that I could sit on my heels, I was so excited I was going around showing everyone who would look. Then I woke up and realized that I may never sit on my heels again. So we do have some good achievements but there will always be things that we can't do.

On another note, next weekend is the Olympic Trials for the men and women in the marathon and 1/2 distance and they are being held here in Houston. If you get a chance to take a look you can see my city and part of the course that I will be running on as well next Sunday. The trials are a world wide event!
 
Re: 6 miles today 1/2 marathon next weekend!

Well that is exciting. Congratulations!

I'm so amazed at people who run. I never ever could run very far at all, and I'm a very active person. My knee recovery was pretty difficult so, for me, it was an accomplishment to work a medical station at the Marine Corps Marathon.

Mary let me say thank you for being a volunteer in the Marine Corp Marathon. For if it was not for the volunteers it would be all but impossible to put on a marathon. I had always wanted to run Marine Corp, but now probably won't because even if I am running some, I am aware that I can't run as much as a used to. I did get to run the NYC Marathon twice though, it was an experience that I will never forget.

So thank you for volunteering! :thumb:
 
Re: 6 miles today 1/2 marathon next weekend!

I am glad to hear you are doing so well. I can't wait till I can get back to running again. I never was a distance runner but I enjoyed hitting the track and trying to beat my previous times. My goal is to come back and be able to pass the police department's PRB test. It is not required for the civilian workers I just want to see if I can do it . The only thing I probaly won't try is the agility test I don't know if the sharp turns would be advisable on a TKR. But success stories like yours gives me hope that I could be running again and maybe one day I will try a marathon

Mary, you sound like a really hard worker like most of us on here. You will get to where you want to be, if that is what you want you will do it. Most doctors will tell you not to run, it is a liability issue for them. If you are fully healed then test the waters. I did lots of reading on the subject and lots of discussion in the forum pre and post surgery and believe me there are a lot of people out there running on TKR's.

I met an OS in the store where I work several weeks ago. We talked about the subject of running and what he told me sounded really go. He said he does not tell his patients to STOP doing what they love to do, but rather to do their activity smartly. He said in my case, "don't go out and run junk miles." He went on to say, if you have something to train for then run, throw some cross training into the mix and do your event. Just don't go out and run everyday just for the sake of running." I can live with that!

The best of luck to you! :dancy:
 
Re: 6 miles today 1/2 marathon next weekend!

This is awesome news!!! I cannot wait to begin running again - at what point did you start back up? Last year, I was 8 months post-op and I got up to doing a few 10k's before my other hip broke - I cannot wait to get back to it!!! Congratulations and let us know how you do!!!
 
Re: 6 miles today 1/2 marathon next weekend!

This is awesome news!!! I cannot wait to begin running again - at what point did you start back up? Last year, I was 8 months post-op and I got up to doing a few 10k's before my other hip broke - I cannot wait to get back to it!!! Congratulations and let us know how you do!!!

I tried off and on several times Linda and would have some set backs. My cardio is good and my leg strength is good because I work out 3 days a week. The muscles in my legs just seem to remember what to do. I walked my first 5 K at 5.5months post op. I ran at 7 and 8 months alternating walking and jogging. At 8.5 months post op I RAN a 5 mile race, 11:29 pace. Then did 7 miles jogging and walking the following week. I do the treadmill, elliptical, and bike during the week and save the running outside for one day a week. I felt like I was home again yesterday. I surely will let you know how I do next weekend and even post a finish line picture!
:hysterical:
 
Re: 6 miles today 1/2 marathon next weekend!

I've been walking over 4 miles at 15 min mile pace but so far I cannot run on my joint yet - just biding my time! Good luck next weekend!!!
xoxoxo,
Linda.
 
Re: 6 miles today 1/2 marathon next weekend!

Oh I love reading this!!! thanks for posting your news about your upcoming 1/2 marathon.
I walked a 5k 11 weeks after my LTKR - and it felt great (my superstar knee) my "right" knee is taking a more "normal" path. I'm 3 1/2 months and am signed up for a 5k walk in 3 weeks lol we shall see! I will be 4 months out at the time.
I can't wait to hear about your run! NICE JOB
I know my right knee is on track and will continue to improve.
My left knee that is almost 1 year old is just awesome, it is 100% "me" better than it has been in 20 yrs!
2012 is going to be an awesome year for rebuilding and opening new and OLD doors!
 
Re: 6 miles today 1/2 marathon next weekend!

That's fantastic Bonnie, I really cant imagine running with these new knees - but then I've never run anywhere since I was about 10! So glad to hear you're back doing what you love!:yes 4:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom