Guest viewing is limited

TKR Never Ending Infection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excellent news, thanks for the report. Let's hope things can only get better from now on. Thinking about you daily, take it easy. I hope the pain gets under control soon.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Great news, thanks for keeping us posted on your progress!
Wishing you an uneventful recovery, and that you have your pain under control by now.
 
@Jozilla
Yes, 6 hours. From what I understand, the plastic surgeon took most of that time, closing the incision with minute stitches on many layers of tissue. That's why I am absolutely forbidden to bend my knee, as there is risk of pulling that work apart. I have serious anemia, though, and am getting blood every day with little to no improvement, so still lots of lab work.
 
Very amazing what doctors can do. We are fortunate to have such medical resources available. I hope your transfusions start helping soon. I never understood fatigue until i had my tkr. And your surgery was 3 times as long. Rest up and post when you can. Will look forward to your updates!
 
@Old Texan - so happy to hear that you surgery was a success! Here is hoping that it will continue to go well!
Thinking of you and will look forward to hearing of your progress. :)
 
@Old Texan , just wondering how you are getting on, we haven't heard for a while. I hope you are OK. Best wishes, take care.
 
Well, mostly hanging out in the hospital, waiting for the social worker to try to negotiate a stay in a rehab facility here on hospital campus instead of a SNF. I do have a new knee, but one of the cultures taken on surgery day did come back with MRSA. So, I will be on one IV antibiotic for 6 weeks. The plastic surgeon said I still can't bend my knee for 6 weeks. But I can bear weight on my leg, so walking is going well. I will be on antibiotics for a very long time. I do hope that I can stay here on campus so my doctors can come in if there are any problems. I only have 13 bed days left before I have to go home, anyway. I feel like I could go home now, but my daughter is adamant that I go to rehab first. She would be very anxious if I went straight home. She was really scared when I tried to go home in May and saw how weak and in pain I was. I have always been strong and independent, I've never been like that! But I am much better now. There are just so many possibilities for complications--the infection, the healing of the incision, anemia (not up to snuff, but stable). I hope I can leave the hospital on the next day or so. Will try to do better with updates.
 
@Old Texan, you sound like you are in for a long ride. I am sorry that you have to deal with this. Hopefully you will be able to stay in rehab so they can more closely monitor your progress. Sending you healing vibes and well wishes. Take care!
 
@Old Texan, good to hear from you. Let's hope that they can get this infection under control and you can get on with the healing. Being able to walk, even though you can't bend your knee is a step closer to recovery. You just have to do whatever the medical teams tell you and look on this as another blip on the long journey to a better life. I know how hard it must be to be positive at the moment, but we will be there for you. I hope you get to stay at the rehab on the campus site, it should give you the reassurance that you need at the moment. Don't apologise for not keeping us updated, we understand.

Take care, you are in my thoughts daily.
 
My OS spoke to the ins doc between surgeries and got rehab approval! Just arrived here from the hospital. Hope this goes well and I am not screaming to go home with the increased therapy I will have to go through. But really good news tonight.
 
That is good news for you! How long will you be in rehab before going home?
Hope you are doing okay. You have been through a lot!
 
I have 13 bed days left here. Therapy started bright and early this morning--I have already worked with OT and PT and will do so again this afternoon. Doc doubled my pain meds, so I do have some time when my pain is down at about a 2. I get to wear real clothes! Will have a wheelchair to move about some-waiting on elevating leg rest. Therapy has been fine, no torture so far.
 
I am glad things are working out. Your Doctor sounds very caring and helpful. So happy you are able to stay in rehab and get the assistance you need!
 
That is good news, they seem to be looking after you well there. Glad they have given you more pain meds.
 
Doing OK. Therapy is challenging, but the therapists listen to me and let me take breaks. I think that I pressure myself more, because I know that my time here is limited. Hoping to get drain and sutures/staples removed this week. Then maybe I can have a real shower!
 
Hi @Old Texan , you seem to be more positive now and going in the right direction :) . I'm glad. The thought of the first nice relaxing shower is heaven, I remember it well. Feeling clean all over from head to toe, it takes some beating. Please don't rush the therapy and take care. Slowly, slowy does it, the bonesmart way, I'm a great believer in it
 
I am going home on Monday. No word on when sutures and staples come out, but the drain comes out tonight. I am getting a shorter, custom brace in purple. Therapy remains challenging, but I am able to tolerate it ok and the therapists do listen to me. Working on things I need to be able to do when I get home and walking backwards. I will be on IV antibiotics, but I will have the "lightbulb" that hooks to my PICC line. I only have to do it once a day and I can put the lightbulb in my pocket. It usually takes an hour to infuse.
 
Glad to hear you are going home! Do you give the antibiotics to yourself daily? You seem to be in control of your recovery which is great and I wish you continued improvement! (((Hugs)))
 
[Bonesmart.org] Never Ending Infection
@Old Texan, and don't let anyone tell you different. And you seem to have amazing patience. Anyone can be cool, but it takes practice to be awesome---and you're getting plenty of that.

Take care and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] Never Ending Infection
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom