Guest viewing is limited

TKR Never Ending Infection

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Jozilla
Yes, I have little pigtails with extensions on my PICC Line. So, I will have saline and heparin to flush my line, then I just have to attach the IV line with the "lightbulb" and I am done. The nurse has to do blood draws and change the dressing weekly.
@bottomshollow
Thank you so much for your encouragement. It means so much!:-)
 
Can't sleep. I am very nervous right now. My employer is supposed to deposit my temp disability payment into my account today. Have been trying to contact HR to confirm, but if I actually get someone on the line, they just say "I don't know". If I don't have money, I am seriously screwed. Will know in a little over an hour.
In a good note, I got my purple brace. It is not pretty, but way, way more comfortable than the other one.
 
Morning Old Texan what a shame we have to worry about money in the U.S. when we are hurt or sick! I could go on a rant but won't. However i do hope you get your pay today! I am glad your new brace is comfortable! How long do you have to wear it?
 
Well, no, I didn't. So I sent a firmly worded email, forwarded to the new HR Director (who I never met). I also finally got ahold of my retirement advisor and explained that I needed a hardship withdrawal from my retirement fund, not a loan. HR Director and retirement advisor talked, HR director apologized, and forwarded my email to the benefits supervisor. I didn't know we had one of those--too many folks in admin. Have hardship form. I might not be SO screwed--some of my bills will likely be late, which will really mess my credit score up. But I should have answers Monday. This still s**is, though. About a year ago, they fired most of the HR folks, then hired other, clueless ones. The old HR dept., I could have called anyone, and would've had the right answer--or at least a call to tell me they needed to look something up, and would have my answer by whenever. And then they really would get back to me.
Otherwise, doing well. Day before yesterday I had more pain than usual and was really sweaty-don't know why. Will be evaluated Monday to see if my staples ans sutures can come out or if I go home with those. Plastic surgery folks decide.
I had a real shower yesterday, finally! Hope everyone has a great day or whatever today. :-)
 
@Jozilla
I can never find your thread, but see your comments on other threads, an also mine, of course. I am so happy that you are doing well. You spread your optimism to us all. Please know that your encouragement and, when needed, empathy, are greatly appreciated. Thank you.
 
@Old Texan, sorry to hear that you have to sort out finances as well as going through all this. Let's hope it is all sorted by Monday and you can go home. Glad you don't have to go back to the hospital every day for your antibiotics like I had to. Still thinking of you daily as always, take care
 
It is funny Old Texan I haven't written on my thread in about a month. I will try to resurrect it "baby steps" and rename it. I need to read about my first recovery as there are many things I don't remember! With my other knee having tkr in September it may be helpful! My disability pay was awful and took a loan on my 401 for the first surgery. I am 59 and just learned I can take whatever at 59 1/2 with no penalty - they just take 20% for taxes. My income this year probably qualifies me for welfare assistance! Take care.
 
Trying to catch up with all the threads--so many new ones! I am always amazed and humbled by the hardships so many endure. And most try to keep positive and maintain relationships through the pain and other difficulties. We all whine from time to time, but this is the place to go. I remain so grateful for other's willingness to share their experiences.
 
@Rest Assured
Got PM, but not sure how to respond. I really am doing well. This stint in rehab has been good for me--I am more confident in my ability to manage at home. The therapists have put me through my paces; walking backwards and climbing stairs. As I pointed out to my PT yesterday, it will be several weeks before I am up exercising, walking, and climbing stairs for a solid hour! My main concern now is money and my employer. I finally got my retirement advisor and will get the hardship withdrawal form. Since I am going home today, I will finally have access to tech other than my mobile. I am beyond livid about the temporary disability benefit that I haven't got yet. And, although the head of HR apologized for non-responses, it didn't put money in my account. Some payments will be late, so my credit rating will be hit, hard. And I would prefer not taking money from retirement. Pain is in control, and I expect it to get better when I am home, because I won't be trying to time it to therapy. Will let you know how all goes when I am home.
 
Home. Just got home, and it feels good! Stretched out on sofa, feet up, ice. Coffee and ice water. My daughter is here to help me get comfortable.
 
I am so glad you are home. You have been thru a lot and I pray the rest of your recovery is uneventful. Let us know how you doing - we care!
 
@Old Texan, I know you are so happy to finally be home! Hope you are comfortable and able to sleep well tonight. Take it slow and easy. You are in my prayers for a full recovery.

Cindy
 
I am praying your recovery from this point goes more smoothly. You have been thru so much. You are a very strong person and I admire you. As with many other people on BS, enough is enough!
 
Have been home since Monday evening. Doing okay. I looked at my notes from my first surgery. At this point, I was doing much better most of the time. But I can't really compare because of all the surgery I've been through and because my leg has had to be straight since early May. So I'm doing okay at home. The OT came out yesterday and went over my apartment and how I'm getting around in it. He doesn't like how I get in and out of my shower, but my apartment and my bathroom are both so small that I really can't get the adaptive equipment that he would like for me to have. So he won't be back unless there's something that I want help with. He and the nurse both came early in the morning. The nurse came to draw blood so she had to be here before I ate anything. I am still having trouble eating anything. Although I have nice, nutritious, light foods and shakes, the thought of consuming anything still makes me nauseous. Fast food commercials on television sometimes bring me close to throwing up. I got a little light headed yesterday and started to lose my balance. That scared me, so I'm going to try to eat something several times a day. I will also call my doctor's office and ask for something for nausea. My cat comes on this weekend, not sure which day. It will be interesting to see how she acts when she gets home. I slept well last night and I am lying in bed just enjoying resting. I don't have any appointments today. I have been catching on everyone else's thread, and I think I'm about caught up. As always, I am grateful for everyone contribute to this forum and I hope everyone has a good day today.
 
@Old Texan, I had the same problem with nausea after surgery. With the first TKR, the nausea was worse than the pain from surgery. Call your doctor and get the anti-nausea meds before it gets worse. I was so weak from not eating that it slowed down my progress. You also don't want to take any chances of falling from being light headed! Good luck with your recovery!
 
Old Texan,
I agree with Texan call and ask for anti nausea medications, you need good nutrition to heal, and avoid feeling light headed.
Enjoy your appointment free day, hope your cat is home soon to give you comfort,
 
Well, back in hospital. I had a puffy spot pop up and start leaking. Just clear fluid. Had regular 4 week check that day. OS decided to take me to surgery to culture, drain, and in general take a look. Not at incision. Staples and sutures removed, and original suture line looks good. Cultures coming back negative so far. I have a wound vac, but not draining much. Will return to surgery Monday afternoon for plastic surgeon to close new incision. Pain is way less now; intern said that there was lots of fluid that came out during surgery. I may actually get out and go home this week. Will start trying to catch up with other threads.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom