THR Nervous

With the first hip I was given a book about hip replacements and it did have exercises in it. I could not do them - pain. Even before the final diagnosis when I was sent to PT there were many exercises I just could not do even some in water therapy. This time, with my right hip when I spoke with the PA at the OS office I said please do not send me to PT and she said of course not- there is no way you can do much when you cannot move your hip without pain.

I am not doing any exercises again except for those movements that are done as part of daily living activities. Sometimes, just getting through cleaning up a little or grocery shopping is enough to do and painful so I definitely do not want to do anything to cause more pain. I am not concerned as last time I recovered and was fine and was rebuilding muscle when the other hip went into pain mode.

If there are any exercises in what they gave you that do not cause pain, do them but if it hurts why increase the discomfort while waiting for surgery. It is hard enough to wait without making it worse.

Yes, I did what I felt I could do without increasing my discomfort. I was continuing to work up to the surgical date so I wasn’t pushing myself because my work is a bit physical. I think anything that you can do comfortably would be very wise. If any of the exercises cause pain, I wouldn’t do it if it were me.
Interestingly enough, I found keeping my back strong was very beneficial prior to surgery, but maybe that’s because I have back issues already. You will also be relying on your arms and upper body strength in the first few weeks. Your arms are going to support you on the walker, help pull you up from the commode, etc. So it’s a good time to make sure you exercise your upper body, too.
Its all a matter if what you can manage, it shouldn’t be stressful for you.
:flwrysmile:

Grammy, I am the same age as you! My dr said I could have out patient or in patient, it was my choice. I opted for the out patient I am one week away and can't wait to be done! I had knee replacement in 2017 and stayed over one night. I have a great helper at home, my husband, and since we dairy farm he will be close by and my mil is right around the corner. Good luck!

Not me:umm:
I was actually told for my circumstance - endstage OA - it wouldn't be helpful and likely I wouldn't have been able to do them anyway without terrible difficulty.
I hurt after just walking around all day.
Thank you. I'm not that far into it, but I know it's coming so I've decided sooner is better. Plus, I'm paid up for my deductible for the year from my arthroscopy :). Have to look on the bright side, right?

You will also be relying on your arms and upper body strength in the first few weeks. Your arms are going to support you on the walker, help pull you up from the commode, etc. So it’s a good time to make sure you exercise your upper body, too.
Its all a matter if what you can manage, it shouldn’t be stressful for you.
:flwrysmile:
Yes, I was totally non-weight bearing with the 'scope and on crutches for 6 weeks. My arms and palms got a real workout. I even had calluses on my palms by the time I could ditch the crutches. Thanks for your input.

I had both my knees done in the same year. The second one needed doing and my deductible was all paid with the first knee. With a $3000 deductible it made sense. It was quite nice not having to worry about it again and just concentrating on the recovery. It makes sense on so many levels.

I was given pre-op exercises: foot pumps, quad strengthening, gluteal squeezes, heel slides (all lying down) and some standing exercises, knee lifts and back and side kicks. These are on operated side only. None hurt. I tried the abduction and the amount of clicking freaked me out. My surgeon said don't do anything that hurts or feels too weird.

Did you do pre-op exercises? My surgeon gave me 6 to do 3x a day.
In most cases all pre-op exercises will do is aggravate an already painful hip. And if there are any mobility issues I doubt the exercises could be done properly. If the exercises are not painful for you go for it by all means. But if they cause any discomfort I would stop. There will be plenty of time to build strength once that new hip is healed.

Thank you all for your input. I now have another question. When they did the arthroscope in February, the report said they drained the greater trochanter bursa. After I get the new hip will I be getting bursitis again? Will they remove the bursa?
Thanks

Yes, I was totally non-weight bearing with the 'scope and on crutches for 6 weeks. My arms and palms got a real workout. I even had calluses on my palms by the time I could ditch the crutches. Thanks for your input.

Ahh, yes, you are well aware of the toll it takes on the upper body. I had callouses too. :yes:
Good times, eh?
I'm sorry that your first procedure didn't help your hip.. two procedures in one year doesn't seem too fair. The replacement should give you a good resolution, then you will be on your way to a "forgotten hip." :flwrysmile:

Ahh, yes, you are well aware of the toll it takes on the upper body. I had callouses too. :yes:
Good times, eh?
I'm sorry that your first procedure didn't help your hip.. two procedures in one year doesn't seem too fair. The replacement should give you a good resolution, then you will be on your way to a "forgotten hip." :flwrysmile:
Thank
Thank you. I hope this does the trick. I was really wishing I hadn't done the first procedure as it seemed to have made it worse. I was in a lot more pain and more often.

I spent 1 night in the hospital but I could have stayed longer if I wanted, I didn't see a need. For the Rt one they gave me the option of a 23hr. stay at the surgical center or the overnight at the hospital, I'm opting for the hospital. It's about a 2hr. ride for me and on the way home it requires a stop, get out and stretch. Last time we stopped and ate at a Mexican restaurant on the way home. As far as waking up I went for a spinal with sedation. I woke up in recovery clear headed and hungry and thirsty, no ill feelings like GA. Upper body strength and strength in the non op leg will help but it sounds like you've got that covered already. The one thing about doing the exercises is to have a base line for mobility. I laid on the floor and noted how restricted my movement was pre-op. Then post op I could see how much more ROM I had.

As far as waking up I went for a spinal with sedation. I woke up in recovery clear headed and hungry and thirsty, no ill feelings like GA.
You have had 2 surgeries? Did you have spinal for both? I had GA for the arthroscopy and I really think I'd prefer that but not sure.

Over the years I've had many surgeries but so far 1 THR, waiting for my next THR which should be in Nov. I never had a choice before and always had general. I was given a choice for the THR and had known ahead of time so I went with the spinal and will again. GA requires a breathing tube now and I've always been groggy and sleepy and have been nauseous. As I said with spinal I could have read a book in the recovery room. I had lunch soon after I got to the room after the recovery room and was up walking soon after that.

See what your OS and anesthesiologist recommends. I had GA for the hip and both knees. I was quite fine and perky after the surgeries. I do tell the anesthesiologist that I have no desire for nausea and they all agreed that they do not either and will provide appropriate anti nausea medication along with the sedation. I am a control freak but will go with what is advised by both my OS and anesthesiologist for this replacement also.

Sorry, new question: What types of things should I make sure I have at home? I have a wheeled walker and crutches and a small wedge. I've figured out how to get in and out of the bathtub from my arthroscope. Any advice is welcome and appreciated.
Thanks

Hi @Grammy57 One of the first things that comes to mind is a reacher.. and an aide that helps you pull your socks on. Well, unless you live in a warmer climate.
Usually the hospital has a pre op session and goes over some of the things needed, do you know if that is in the works for you? I didn't have this offered to me but it seems most people did.

What helped me the most was this article that I am leaving for you.. Maybe read through it and see what you think.

Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery

I hope this helps. :flwrysmile:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads