Watch 2020 JRAD Videos

THR Nervous

OP
OP
G

Grammy57

Country
United States United States
Hi @Grammy57 One of the first things that comes to mind is a reacher.. and an aide that helps you pull your socks on. Well, unless you live in a warmer climate.
Usually the hospital has a pre op session and goes over some of the things needed, do you know if that is in the works for you? I didn't have this offered to me but it seems most people did.

What helped me the most was this article that I am leaving for you.. Maybe read through it and see what you think.

Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery

I hope this helps. :flwrysmile:
Thank you. I will read it now. I have not been offered any type of class. I do have my husband, retired. He helped me a LOT when I had the arthroscope on this same hip in February. He will put my socks on me, etc. after last night, I'm looking forward to this but I had quite a few good days and was thinking about canceling. I guess not. :)

mainegirl1

graduate
Country
Sorry, new question: What types of things should I make sure I have at home? I have a wheeled walker and crutches and a small wedge. I've figured out how to get in and out of the bathtub from my arthroscope. Any advice is welcome and appreciated.
Thanks
I would check with your OS about the walker. The one with two wheels and two legs without wheels is more stable. Stability is what you want early on. My hospital would refuse operating on a patient who arrived with anything other. Ask around as often towns or rescue squads have a loaner bank of temporary medical equipment. A cane is useful after you are ready to discard the walker. However I use hiking poles instead as they make me stand up straight. I never used crutches as I never needed not to be weight bearing.

And you never can have too many ice packs. I liked to keep one in my pants pocket as it was over the bandage yet not in direct contact.
Consider how you will get off the toilet. Mine is high enough I needed no aid.

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@Grammy57 Here's a link to an article from our Library on things you might need. You won't need everything - check what you don't have available and alter as needed. Note: One thing I learned after my first THR - you need a grabber to pick up the grabber you dropped. I had 2 grabbers downstairs and one upstairs just in case. :heehee:

Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home

OP
OP
G

Grammy57

Country
@Grammy57 I agree with @mainegirl1 Trekking poles definitely make you stand up straighter compared to a cane. I used mine outside of the house for the first time today. My surgery is in a few months.
I would never have thought of trekking poles. Thanks. My brother in law may have some I can borrow.

VSlowLife

post-grad
Country
@Grammy57 Me either. I got the idea from @mainegirl1 , @gertie , and @ceezee.
Usually the height is adjustable so they may work well for you. There are different tips for ground, vs pavement. I was walking in a parking lot today and could feel I was not standing up as straight as I did with the trekking poles, yesterday, so I changed my posture.Knowing how much better my posture feels with the poles, has made me think when I walk.

OP
OP
G

Grammy57

Country
I spoke with my insurance company today and learned I do NOT need pre-authorization for my hip surgery. Wow, I need it for imaging but not surgery, strange. But, when I was reading through things again, I see I have to quit all aspirin and anti-inflammatory products 10 days before the surgery. We are taking a trip during this time, so what pain meds will I be able to take? It's a car trip.
Thanks

mainegirl1

graduate
Country
It's your surgeons rules so nothing except ice. Use a walker to avoid stress. You may ride the magic carpet some of us have had with diminishing pain before surgery that makes us question our sanity.
Car tripping could be an issue as you will go through ice in a cooler fast.
I would call your surgeon for advice for this pain dilemna. Not sure what paperwork you were reading.. your insurance companys general blanket rules or your surgical practice.

leejaa

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Should be able to take Tylenol. It is not an anti inflammatory. I can take Tylenol right up to morning of surgery.

VSlowLife

post-grad
Country
@Grammy57 If you have Medicare that may be true. That is what my secondary insurance told me, but I would still inform them, just to be safe.
There is something I use, that perhaps your surgeon might allow, if you check with him. It’s called a 5% lidoderm patch. it can only be used for 12 hours. If you have Medicare, you will need your doctor to write an appeal to get it. If you just have private insurance, this is probably not necessary. Just a normal prescription. It helps take the edge off of my hip pain, as along as I take rest periods with no sitting or standing.
There are over the counter 4% lidoderm patches that Salonpas makes. They are more expensive, than a prescription.
I use two whole patches on my hip. You can cut them to fit your situation. I use medical tape on two edges to help them not to role their edges.
I find it helps in addition to the Tylenol.

OP
OP
G

Grammy57

Country
I would call your surgeon for advice for this pain dilemna. Not sure what paperwork you were reading.. your insurance companys general blanket rules or your surgical practice.
I called the Drs office to ask for the procedure code. I wrote that down and then called the insurance company and was told that I would not need prior authorization. It was the same for my hip arthroscopy. Just seems strange. Though, I am thankful.

OP
OP
G

Grammy57

Country
@Grammy57 If you have Medicare that may be true. That is what my secondary insurance told me, but I would still inform them, just to be safe.
There is something I use, that perhaps your surgeon might allow, if you check with him. It’s called a 5% lidoderm patch. it can only be used for 12 hours. If you have Medicare, you will need your doctor to write an appeal to get it. If you just have private insurance, this is probably not necessary. Just a normal prescription. It helps take the edge off of my hip pain, as along as I take rest periods with no sitting or standing.
There are over the counter 4% lidoderm patches that Salonpas makes. They are more expensive, than a prescription.
I use two whole patches on my hip. You can cut them to fit your situation. I use medical tape on two edges to help them not to role their edges.
I find it helps in addition to the Tylenol.
I did buy some liquid lidocaine for my grandson's foot. I forget the name but it said it was the strongest non-prescription so I guess I could use that. Thank you for the advice.

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
@Grammy57 Please do not use any medication such as lidocaine without checking with your surgeon first. You risk having your surgery postponed! Tylenol and ice are safe. Anything else needs your surgeon's input.

OP
OP
G

Grammy57

Country
@Grammy57 Please do not use any medication such as lidocaine without checking with your surgeon first. You risk having your surgery postponed! Tylenol and ice are safe. Anything else needs your surgeon's input.
Thank you.

OP
OP
G

Grammy57

Country
New stress to add. Since I hadn't seen the cardiologist for about 3 years the surgeon said I did not need to get cardiac clearance. So, I went to my primary and got the needed EKG and clearance from him. The EKG showed a slight abnormality ( a known slight murmur that no one is worried about). Since it showed that my primary said I needed to see the cardiologist. I did and he now wants me to have an echo and a stress test. Since the surgery is for my hip, it is a non-walking stress test. Ugh. That is set up for next Thursday, 9 days from now. At least 6 hours at the Drs they say or else it has to be done over several days and I live 45 minutes away. This is making me even more nervous.

leejaa

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
So sorry you have to go through this also. I am sure it will be nothing but 6hrs with a sore hip in tests even if you are lying down part of the time is no fun. It is better to know just in case this way you know your recovery will be that much smoother without surprises.

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
@Grammy57 I know all this cardio business is a pain. But it's better safe than sorry. Deep breath and keep moving forward. Get it all done and move to your THR. It's a new beginning!

Elf1

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
@Grammy57 it is better to be safe than sorry. I had to go through the same testing as I have a known irregular EKG, just to be safe. Not sure about your cardiologist but mine was basically go have vitals taken, I think they did an EKG baseline, they did some imaging where I sat in a chair that turned to take the images. Eventually go back, they hook you up again, put the medicine i n your arm, watch the results of your BP and other things, takes about 5-10 minutes of I remember correctly. Then back in for more images in the turning chair. If it's anything like mine you spend more time waiting in the waiting room in between the different tests. Hopefully that eases your mind a little.

OP
OP
G

Grammy57

Country
Thank you. Yes, I know it's for the best. I'm sure it will be fine. I have another question. I had my pre-surgical appointment yesterday. They gave me a lot of prescriptions for after the surgery. One of the 'scripts was for Neurontin. My insurance company has denied it for some reason. The question is, is this drug normally given for hip replacement? I was also prescribed Tramadol and the lowest dose of Oxycodone. Still waiting on approval for the oxycodone. Oh, and Celebrex, too, along with 500 mg of Tylenol and a baby asprin for blood clots. Is all this normal? Should I just pay outright for the Neurontin?

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
One of the 'scripts was for Neurontin. My insurance company has denied it for some reason. The question is, is this drug normally given for hip replacement?
Surgeons have preferences for post-op medications and this drug is evidently one your doctor prefers. As you can probably tell from the name, it is used when there are problems involving the nerves. Not everyone needs it following surgery. You will also hear it referred to by it's generic name of gabapentin. If it requires pre-approval by your insurance company, then it's better to get that done now just in case you need it. You say the prescription was "denied" so be sure to let your surgeon's office know this so they can deal with your insurance company.

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Afren65
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom