I have groin pain, pain in buttock at times (I use a heating pad for this and it makes it feel better though it does not go away), pain down the thigh inner side and outer depending on the mood of the hip and down the leg at times including knee which has been replaced but the pain will be right below the knee joint itself.
I also cannot comment on outpatient surgery for hips as I too spent one night in the hospital. This worked for me as I was sure pain control was working and I then had to do some PT in hospital to make sure I was safe to go home (walking, stairs, getting on and off a bed, getting into a car). This worked for me especially as I live 1.5hrs away from hospital. I have seen others on the site that had the surgery as out patient so it is doable.