Guest viewing is limited

THR Nerve problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chortle aye man hugs back. Aye i do have an everest of a thread. Ok resume
Had hip replaced
Next day had numb calf and foot, aye and head
Nerve problems persist then this.


Funny enough well no really when I was taken in for my cracked hip and ripped up for toilet paper by my surgeon I asked if there could be any complications he then proceeded to rattle of this list and nerve damage was amongst them and to break bones to get the old hip out and bleeding.

Billy
 
Hi @Legin,
Also have never heard of CRPS before. Let's hope things will improve for you, now that you've got the diagnosis. You deserve it. You take things with dignity - and although you had to go through quite lot, I enjoy your sense of humour so very much. - Good luck - Constanze
 
Hi @Legin,
What is going to happen about your other hip? Do you have to wait until your CRPS is under control?
Look after yourself x
#CRPS
 
The main concern is anesthetic apparently so ii was told. Also I have to have a treatment of physical exercise and suppliments to hopefully ensure it doesnt occour in other leg.

Legin THR Sep 14
#CRPS
 
I have to have a treatment of physical exercise and suppliments to hopefully ensure it doesnt occour in other leg.

Legin THR Sep 14

What a nightmare - never occurred to me that it might happen in the other leg! Hope the resolution comes soon. x
 
@Legin I've been meaning to post the following information to you for some time. It first occurred to me a few weeks ago when you were describing how you continued to walk even though you were in a fair amount of pain. I was experiencing some serious pain last year and all of my usual "tricks" just weren't working. I started a heavy internet search for ways to cope with pain and happened upon information re a Stress Reduction Clinic at the University of Massachusetts Medical Center which is a well regarded medical center here in the US. Turns out this Clinic was set up for patients who were getting little or no relief from the usual protocols. The founder of the Clinic is a man by the name of Jon Kabat-Zinn and you can google his name and find all sorts of information. The thrust of the Program is a form of meditation that is called Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction -- you can google MBST and get all sorts of information as well.

I was curious enough ( and desperate enough!) to purchase Kabat-Zinn's first book about the Program and have found some very helpful tools for myself. One of the things that particularly strikes me for you is a practice he describes in some detail for a Walking Meditation. You are probably already doing some of this but there could be something in this approach that you might find helpful. I hope so.

Thinking of you and wishing you the very best.
#CRPS
 
Thank Holly I really appreciate your taking time I will look up Zabat chapppy. I do many things that mindfulness talks of. I deceloped these to basically live with my balance and tinnitus issue. My difficulty is that when I comcentratenon dealing with pain by breathing and disstraction to put the pain on back burner so to speak the tinnitus for example rushes in. See its true men can't multi task.
Nigel

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@Legin , Nigel,
I'm sorry to hear of your diagnosis. It must have been a shock for you.

However, at least you have a diagnosis now and you can start some treatment for it.
My very best wishes to you.
#CRPS
 
@Celle thanks. Was it a shock I don't think it was, I think that it was in a way a relief. I kind of knew what it was and I am already fighting back. I have joined the Scottish Pain Association Scotland which has a full one years course, meetimg/talks are monthly with stand alone topics such as sleep, the pain/stress cycle and activities that are possible.
I will be recieving specialised PT aimed at pain and ways of still doing exercise and managing pain.
It has made me get all my old info on breathing, distraction etc, poor Harold is being over loaded.
So im actually ok about it. Before I didnt know what to do or how to manage daily living but just flapped about. Many would say that is a permanent thing.
Anyway I stand typing this doing clenches of all leg muscles and a more calm person.
Thanks again as I said in my other post this site is so supportive.


Legin THR Sep 14
#CRPS
 
Legin I'm sad that you are going through this.... Xxxx best regards to you... I'm told I may have neuropathy or fibermialgia.

But I ain't claiming it. I'm trying to think positive.


FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015
 
@Legin Something you said several posts ago about "now my enemy has a name" rang so true! Tell us, what supplements are you taking? And the Scottish Pain Assoc, very good to have a place that probably has all the best resources. Probably people will come out of the woodwork to help and support you! We never know how common something can be till we ourselves have it, right?

I've had tinnitus for 30+ years, but not to the extent that you and others do-- it is quiet and steady, so I've just gotten so used to it I mostly don't hear it. I also have a "balance" issue which they have been pleased to call Vestibular Migraine-- and as you say, now my enemy has a name, so I'm not just going crazy!. When it's with me, driving can be, um, challenging, as the little white lines in the middle of the road flip by, or cars in next lane cause me to totally lose confidence. Tunnels are terrifying! Also, I keep running into door frames when walking around them at home. Pretty silly looking! I mean, the doorframes are always in the same place, you'd think I could learn to walk around them instead of into them!
My first, second, and fourth post-THR falls were caused by it, too! Flew off a treadmill because I turned my head to talk to a nice lady walking past me; next one I followed my heavy flute bag;s momentum as I swung my legs over a low fence-- the bag kept going when I wanted to stop!, and 4th, fell off the loading ramp of a moving truck by moving my head too fast as I was swinging off it. My HIP was FINE :heehee: despite landing square on it. Whew!
#CRPS
 
Im awaiting what supplements when I see dr tomorrow as in gp the consultant instructs the dr to sort the medication.
Strange how tinnitus and balance are often affected together. With me its turn quick I stop but the world doesnt. I have stopped driving because of that as also my peripheral vision is enhanced so I see everything rushing by at speed.
I cant blame my historyof bangs and falls on anything but me im afraid, same as list of injures over the years not one area hasnt been disslocated torn chipped or broken. Naaaa wonder my body is saying iv had enuffffff govner

Legin THR Sep 14
#CRPS
 
I would assume that the administrators of the site has fairly regular meetings/discussions, I am aware of the geographic nature. As a member of thr site can I ask that this be looked at.
CRPS is an important topic. Perhaps you'll be pleased to know we already are discussing the best way to incorporate any discussions on it into BoneSmart.
 
Legin, we've had quite a discussion about your thread and the CRPS diagnosis. As I mentioned previously, we do think it's an important issue that could be of interest to other BoneSmart members.

A concern was that critical information would not easily be found if intermixed with your rather large hip recovery thread. My initial thought was to have a separate thread with CRPS in the title where it could easily be searched. Since such a thread wouldn't deal directly with surgery, the Social forum where we frequently direct members for non hip/knee medical topics seemed the best option. But I do see your point that the diagnosis is related to both your past hip replacement and your upcoming one, so any discussion should be retained in the hip forums.

As a resolution to ensure that your (and other members') CRPS discussion is easily available, we're establishing a hashtag for the CRPS topic - #CRPS. I encourage you to use this hashtag whenever you post about it. I and other staff members will be adding the hashtag to any posts that offer information about CRPS if needed. It should then appear as a Trending Topic which easily makes it available to other members searching for information.

We've had the hashtag feature available on BoneSmart for some time, but have not had a situation until now where we could promote it. Yours is the perfect one.

So, please continue to detail your experiences in your recovery thread. Or, at some point if you are getting close enough to your next surgery that you want to start a pre-op thread, you can talk about the impact dealing with CRPS has on getting prepared for surgery. Just use the hashtag in your posts and all the information will be available via that hashtag.
#CRPS
 
@Legin I will be interested to hear what supplements you get to go out and buy. Here vitamins, minerals, supplements, and herbal things are not government regulated-- but anything you take you pay full retail markup for, as they are not prescribed. Hope you will have it better than that!!
Your balance description sounds exactly like what I get. And I have read that tinnitus can go with it. Mine seems to get worse (as does soft tissue pain in op hip and OA pain in wannabe op hip) when the weather is preparing to change for the worse!


My phone sent this using BoneSmart Forum, clever phone!
 
Wow @Legin I've missed loads on your thread. I'm not getting alerts any more for it. What a great idea to set up a CPRS area. I think quite a lot of people will support this, as on browsing through some of the posts, some seem to describe your symptoms. I think this will be very interesting x

Other than all this, I do hope that you are keeping okay? X
 
I have one concern in that often im recovery many of the symptoms shown by #CRPS are shown. Nerve pain, we all get hit with the heel nerves on fire well many. Swelling, discoloration dry skin, and I would hate for people to go rushing to drs shouting I think I have #CRPS.

With the vast majority these will go away. What I see as the main link here is pain management. I am certainly not proposing throw the meds down the toilet but meds and pain managememt techniques are invaluable I kmow I used them in that pain crunching time in the days often after surgery. Anyway just a few thoughts from a chap who doesnt have many

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I have one concern in that often im recovery many of the symptoms shown by #CRPS are shown.
Yup, that's what makes #CRPS so darn difficult to diagnose.
What I see as the main link here is pain management.
Totally agree. Trouble is many people try to "wean off" any proper pain management (techniques and meds) too early. Good pain management mean quicker mobility.
Anyway just a few thoughts from a chap who doesnt have many
Na, have to disagree. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom