Bilateral TKR Nensi_New_Nees

How are you able to count this soon after a bi? Amazing, girl!
 
Hi Nensi, I'm just able to start catcher my up on threads. It sounds like you had some dark days and worked through them. We have a wonderful support community here. I've been busy with new baby things and too exhausted at night to even get on! I love reading your posts. You go girl for driving. !


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Well, Nancy, you have a lot going on!! I am absolutely amazed that you ditched the walker, started driving a clutch car, knitted a very complicated cable and got a pedicure. Those are monumental achievements on the road to recovery. I can't tell you how many people have told me to make sure to do all the exercises the PT tells me to do. I really got sick of people who have never had a knee replacement giving that advice. I'm just not about to push things beyond my comfort level. I tried to look at as much research as I could about TKR rehab on pubmed, and I'd summarize by saying that after one year, there wasn't much, if any, difference in function between those that pursued aggressive rehab and those who took a more gentle easy approach. So I'm for gentle!

Don't forget that we're constantly making progress toward being healed. Some days we clearly notice it, and other days it is invisible. But we are recovering nevertheless!
 
Nensi, Boris will look great in his new sweater! Congrats on it's completion without dropping a stitch! As far as PT goes, just remember not to push beyond discomfort. You do have to experience some discomfort, but not pain. It's a fine line we bend! So, as we are often told here, though we need to move the joint(s) it does not need to be a torture session. My PT has followed this Boesmart path and while I may not have the flexion of many others at this point, it's really nothing to do with therapy or lack of exercise. For instance, I went food shopping today, alone and probably spent 45 minutes in the store with no ill effect whatsoever. I found I could even bend enough to reach some items on the dreaded bottom shelf and that's something I haven't been able to do in a very long time. So, things are looking up sans torture and I'm very happy to be relatively pain-free.:yes!:
 
Oh, pheebs, good for you. I'm sure I'm weeks away but looking forward to my first good leisurely shopping trip on my own. A big step toward normalcy. And Nensi, it's wonderful to see your progress, you are a bit ahead of me and give me hope I will eventually get there.
 
@Happydale
I second your findings - I was researching yesterday using my work connection and indeed - at one year - no difference ! I am sure that I will find a happy medium with my PT.
I had a bit of a backlog posting so it all sounds like so much at once. Illusion. But I AM feeling better about everything. And also less apprehensive about meeting timeline "deadlines". My knees are the bosses- just have to fight it out which one !
I have been meaning to ask forever Sara, but what is the meaning behind your screen name Happydale?
And how are ya?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@nensi Glad you are feeling better and getting out a bit. It really is a struggle sometimes for strong independent types to give up control to our knees. I think everyone on this forum has had to deal with our bodies not living up to our expectations! It sounds as though you and your knees have come to an agreement to work together!
 
Well, dudes and dudettes, week 3 is going out with a bang.
I had PT at home today and I think we are OK. You never know for sure until the next day, so we'll see.
But that wasn't the bang. I actually helped with making dinner. I know, for those of you who are on your own or with less helping hands, I might sound like a wimp, so to you brave people who are caring for yourself and others I raise my (figurative) glass. When I stand for more than 10 minutes in one place I get a little woozy.
Nevertheless I made my signature Italian meatloaf and stuck it in the oven and am icing.
We'll see if it also tastes like my signature Italian meatloaf...hoping that brain fog didn't cause me to forget any ingredients....shallots, garlic, sun dried tomatoes, Parmesan, oregano, basil, salt, freshly ground black pepper, Worcestershire sauce, eggs, bread crumbs....oops forgot the parsley !!!
Gabriella will do the rest but at least I helped a bit. And this morning I washed a few dishes...
So, as the wise @Pheebs52 so aptly reminded me, little steps are BIG steps - enjoy 'em!
 
You're right on track. I was three weeks out before I took up cooking again by making liver and onions. And then chili. I remember it was hard to stand long enough to chop the onions and mix in all the ingredients, but such an accomplishment to get it done. Your meat loaf sounds delicious!

I think we all get told to do our PT and not be slackers. I get that from my Mom and siblings. My family here, though, really Mr. Shoes' family, and my three sons, listened to me about the BoneSmart way and haven't said a word about my preference for minimal PT. Mr. Shoes researched TKR and found the same info you did.
 
Wow Nancy, I was doing good to throw something in the microwave. Just look at you making a gourmet meal! You be bad to the bone! Go girl! And at only 3 weeks!
 
It actually tasted like it should have so the brain fog must be lifting a bit....


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Raising a glass to your meatloaf prowess and standing power @nensi; salud!:cheers: I don't exactly cook 'cuz Mistah is a great cook, but at the end of 3 weeks I began to do little things in the kitchen; set the table, clear it or fill/empty the dishwasher. It felt thrilling at the time, as if I had somehow *graduated*, and in a sense, I suppose that's true. I wasn't able to stand for any length of time until about the end of Week 5, if I remember correctly, which is, of course questionable. I found standing still much more difficult than walking for several weeks and many here have said the same. These crazy knees just want to move or elevate....no in-between stuff at first.

I'm glad that you and your PT have reached some understanding and hope you won't experience any negative payback tomorrow. Crossing my fingers!:fingersx:
 
Even at week 8 my standing time with our without trekking sticks is about 25 to 30 minutes tops. At 20 min the back of my knees start complaining. We have a pull out table in our kitchen which I use whenever possible. But it also means lots of standing up and sitting down motions. So after preparing a meal and eating it I'm back on sofa elevating and icing.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Nensi_New_Nees Well, hello !
It has been a rather chaotic end to the week.
Yesterday the red patch at the top of my right knee incision had spread out a bit, with a new spot to the right. The VN was uncomfortable with it, and thought it best to check with my PCP.
My philosophy, since kids at least, is "better safe than sorry", so Gabriella and I jumped on it and made it to the PCP just at the end of the open consulting hours. He was also uncomfortable and sent us off to the OS (via the emergency room). Lots of protocol, lots of waiting, driving....but we were BS prepared: pillows, ice, water, snacks...
Blood test and ultrasound of the area both proved negative, the OS's assistant consulted and penned a perimeter for us to track the next few days, along with body temperature. We were sent home with results of blood test and instructions for PCP regarding AB treatment and new blood test protocol in the event the area expanded beyond his borders.
We were all relieved and reassured regarding next steps. But EXHAUSTED.
First thing I did upon reaching home was dive into my bed, with ice and sleeping blindfold. Nap time.
When I woke up, the spot had shrunk with the icing !
Since then it has grown (and shrunk) with exercise and icing. The OS hypothesis was that it is a small bruising released by a tiny blood clot or clots triggered by exercise.
Could be.
In any case - oof.
Today has been a day of restoring my routines. More about that later - now it's time to catch up with your threads
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Wow Nancy! You have had quite a week! Hopefully your redness disappears with no further consequences!
You will need to take it easy over the next few days and allow your body and your knee to recover.
 
This is truly an amazing journey... good for you for being proactive! I am relieved for you that it turned out to be something relatively simple. Whew! I stand in awe of your progress!! Here's to some good weekend rest!
 
Back
Top Bottom