Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Nensi_New_Nees

(((Nensi))) so far, I found the period between Week 3 and Week 5 to be the most frustrating and discouraging, because my brain was ready for *more*, but...the knee was not. I made many little leaps forward in that period, but also had a few days just like yours. It happens. Remember the song, "Mama Said There'll Be Days Like This?" Yeah, THAT song! Cabin Fever is real. I developed an overwhelming urge to drive by the end of Week 3, but couldn't get behind the wheel safely until Week Five. I think we all begin to feel a strong desire for more independence and freedom at this point and hey, that makes us *normal*.....not a bad thing from that perspective.:SUNsmile:

I can't be quite certain, but I think at around the end of three weeks, was when I began to take back some very small household duties. Imagine, I found unloading the dishwasher was a thrill the first time post-op! Yep, a very cheap thrill, but still, it made me smile. So, do something different tomorrow. I don't think it matters a bit what you choose, just break the rut and make one small step toward gaining more autonomy. If it involves a change of scene as well, all the better. Have one of the kids take you out for a ride somewhere enjoyable. Maybe you can take a quick outing to a favorite cafe or park?

In a family setting , everyone, (even the pets) not just the patient, is under so much unusual stress, so the cork just has to pop out of the bottle now and then, right? Of course it does.

Personally, I think your recovery has been remarkable, but what do I know? I only had one knee done! You've had two kiddo, and that's a whole lotta chopping, slicing and dicing. I'm not sure what your expectations were going in, but when they don't meet-up with reality it's a mind bend. For what it's worth, this mind-bending stuff continues....but that's ok. It's all part of the process. We just need the occasional "head-adjustment.":roseshwr:
 
Thanks, @Pheebs52, wise words. Definitely having better days, getting more in the flow with what the knees are dictating. And yes, yesterday I made lunch for us, yummy guacamole, nachos and salsa. With lots of garlic.
Today, we'll see. At the moment, our family PT is screwing up my routine a bit. She just got back from vacation in Canada yesterday, should have been here at 10, no show and it's almost 1pm. I know she has a hectic first day back, but I have developed such a routine (funny for a chaotic person such as I am) that I'm a little out of sorts...
I asked Tonio to take me to a local parking lot, just to see if I can push the pedals - could be funny, the first 6 months of the year I spent teaching him to drive ...
 
Oooh, lunch sounded yummy!

Be sure to let us know how playing in the car went! Even when just playing, there's some powerful mojo in just sitting behind the wheel.:yes!:
 
What goes around comes around. You teaching your son to drive and now he's overseeing your driving. I love it!
 
Nensi, I didn't think I would have an issue watching a TKR surgery but the first time I tried I was surprised by the visceral turn-my-stomch response. I persisted here and there as the preop weeks went on and was finally able to watch my surgeons youtube video of the custom knee repacement in real time of just over 1 hour. My husband couldn't watch 30 seconds without walking away. I wasn't easy at first but I'm glad I did. It answered every question I could have possibly have had including how he closed up. And yes, it did give me more appreciation of how invasive the process and how long healing to the bone was going to be. On the plus side I saw how little blook was lost and found out he did not use staples. I hate staples. I had a c-section stapled shut and 2 days later a staple came loose and it felt like pin sticking me every time I moved. I took it out myself a couple of days later. One side was already out and I rationalized that it wasn't holding anything anyway. Was super glad to get the restuff out 10 days later.
 
Oh, I hope your "driving" was encouraging and fun! It can be a bit of a thrill to get behind the wheel again and realize your new knees can perform the needed movements. Funny too that your son is now guiding you into that role. Did your PT ever show up?
 
nensi, I assume you are still using a walker? Cant wait to hear about pt and pedicure!
 
Omigosh, so much to share, my fingers are cramping up just trying to get the words out!
Where to begin?
@dogluvr, I'll start with the pedicure - as you can well imagine - it was heavenly. It was not the normal full treatment because we did it with me lying on my hospital bed and the bed raised up so Diane's back was not stressed. That arrangement allowed my other leg to be elevated.
My toes were still a teensy bit orange from the gunk they wash your leg down with in the OR even after 8 or 9 showers and scrubber brushing. No more !
And aside from the neatly cut and burnished nails, I got a lot of tkr talk in with Diane. She clucked about my lack of bendy-ness so I did skip over that part but she was amazed at my leg lifting prowess and that the bruising is all gone. Did a body GOOD!
And to answer your question I used the walker in the hospital, first 5 days and then at home during nighttime potty runs. After 2 weeks, it's been relegated as a stand for my ice machine and I am using 2 crutches and occasionally one.
 
Driving. @SusieShoes , @Pheebs52
We went to the local bigbox hardware / supermarket - Gabriella (my oldest) to do some Mom shopping and Tonio (the youngest - fresh from the press certified driver) to chaperone my driving.
Getting in and out of our VW Touran requires a little bit of concentration that I don't do anything stupid but is actually pretty smooth - with the seat moved all the way back.
It's a manual transmission with a fairly stiff clutch.
No big deal, I just drove!!!!
Made emergency stops!!!
Changed feet from gas to brake, no issues!!!
I am not going to analyze it but just the same as I felt upon discovering that I could lift both legs post-op:
GRATEFUL !
:dancy:
 
@nensi, are your spirits a bit brighter now? Did you *play* in the car with Tonio? I'm sure the answer is *yes* to both, because a few knees can't keep a good woman down.:happydance:

Aaaah, the pedicure sounds heavenly! I actually did my own a few weeks ago, but....it's just not the same. I need to schedule one soon, along with a full body massage and a haircut. Beautification and pampering of this sort have really been at the bottom of my priority barrel but are now rising to the top; whoohoo!:SUNsmile:
 
Hah, we were simul-posting! I LOVE it, you've taken back the car! Wheels, baby, one of the best feeling post-tkr! :spin::happydance::friends:
 
[Bonesmart.org] Nensi_New_Nees [Bonesmart.org] Nensi_New_Nees [Bonesmart.org] Nensi_New_Nees [Bonesmart.org] Nensi_New_Nees
@Celle
Could you take a look at these pictures? Today I noticed that I have a reddish, slightly raised area at the top of my right knee scar. Does not hurt. Thanks !
 
@Jajakio - y'know, the curious George in me can't accept my inability to watch the real time procedure.
I also think that it would be so enlightening to understand the extreme healing that we need.
We'll see. I am still detecting occasional bouts of dizzy/queesiness at odd hours but they are definitely decreasing in intensity and frequency. I have been taking my iron pills faithfully (and eating prunes to counteract the side effect) but my pallor continues.
 
And now, for the PT part of the story.
Our PT, as I mentioned before, is a family PT. I have known her for 20 odd years and have enormous respect for her - she is a strong, intelligent , no nonsense woman with a ready laugh and a "can-do" mentality. She has continued studying and stays up to date. She mentored me with breathing technique and exercises in my first and last pregnancy (to deliver "naturally"), she's seen me through a number of arthroscopic recoveries. And the last five years she has treated my son through numerous basketball injuries.
She had a stressful first day back to work after vacation and came around at 8pm.
I think she was a little disappointed to see my bend. We had a little bit of push and pull about what I wanted to attempt. And my peeps were clearly "siding" with our PT. Later the kids were being BS sceptical and kind of acting like I was in internet cult of some kind. Hmmm.
This is going to be a "to be continued".
But in any case, it motivated me to journal my daily activities a bit more, including icing, noting times and also how my knees feel.
We'll see how long I keep that up!
 
congratulations on driving your standard car!:wowspring: i love the little blue sweater you knitted for Boris ~ beautiful!:yes:
 
Driving a stiff clutch! What an achievement! You are on the way!
 
@nensi , I've watched two youtube videos of the real surgery-they were not bloody, but were very helpful in realizing what is actually done and why those tissues need to heal. I think you're doing very well in recovery.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Nensi_New_Nees [Bonesmart.org] Nensi_New_Nees [Bonesmart.org] Nensi_New_Nees [Bonesmart.org] Nensi_New_Nees
@Celle
Could you take a look at these pictures? Today I noticed that I have a reddish, slightly raised area at the top of my right knee scar. Does not hurt. Thanks !
I'm going to ask @Josephine to have a look, just to be sure, but I don't think it's anything much yet. Keep an eye on it, though, and see your surgeon if it get any worse.
 
Back
Top Bottom