Guest viewing is limited

TKR Need Help and Encouragement, please...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
So glad to hear you seem to have a plan of action. Sounds like a good one to me.

As for the pity party, I think they may be a luxury those NOT living alone don't get to indulge in with the same abandon. (How's that for a positive spin?) I really think they help; I've had many of them since my first TKR. Heck, I had lots before then too! Sometimes, I'm amazed when I realize I've gone days, or even a week or two without one. It will get easier.
 
Good Morning, I thought I would check and see how you are doing. I hope you were able to have a good night sleep. I hope you got the two hours at least.:rotfl: I like your plan of action. I do hope that it works. If you want to share what came out of it I would be interested. You have had two big events that have really chanced your life and you are going to make it. Deep down you do know that. Try to watch a funny movie today if you have one. Or turn of the tv. I found it so boring, it put me to sleep almost immeditily. Best sleeping pill I could find. :heehee: Also do you have plenty of fruit to eat so you can keep those vitiams in. My spelling is not the best today but I think you can get what I'm saying. Do take care and remember you can say on this site for as long as you need to. Tashia
 
Finally, I heard Dr Oz on tv talking about not sleeping. I thought for sure he would say to get the tv out of the bedroom, but he said to go ahead an turn it on, but use a sleep timer. He said that is good for people when the go to bed and can't turn off their mind. It will help you forget about all the things you have to do and you will drift to sleep. I know it works for me.
 
Update. Got a call this morning from his office, I asked WHY did they not call on Friday since I was waiting. His nurse said "I thought you had enough drugs to get you through the weekend." I said it is NOT about the drugs, it is about what we are doing now! She said he did not feel the need for me to go to Pain Management and said he was prescribing a new drug, one not addicting like Percoset. I basically said fine, I will see how it works out along with my Advil..:headbang:
 
Oh Man, You aren't getting any where. Well the good side is you have something for pain. I don't understand why he doesn't think you need pain Management. Do try the new pills maybe they are going to do the job right. Do you have any body that could help you? Is this the new doctor? Please keep us posted on how you are doing. When I am down I replay tapes that make me happy. Do you have a tape of your Grand Child? I want you to remember every time you feel alone, I want you to close your eyes and hug yourself and imagine that the hugs is from all of us. Please take care. Tashia :friends: :puppysmooze: :console2: :flwrysmile:
 
Same doc but I never talk to him. I am just so tired right now.Lets hope the new meds work and I do like my therapist. Tomorrow would have been our 41st aniversary...so that is really on my mind. Thanks for the hugs.
 
Sounds like maybe it's the nurse who's causing some, not all, of the problems. I wouldn't abandon the pain management just yet, just in case.
The good thing is that you are still in there, still fighting. It shouldn't have to be that way, but it is. Don't stop now.

I know tomorrow will be a hard day. My thoughts are with you.
 
When you first get up in the morning give yourself a hug and know its from all of us. You do know you can spend the whole day at this site tomarrow. We will be here. Tashia
 
What a time you are having, all at once everything in your life turned upside down. So sorry....

Take it slow today. Focus on getting through the next 30 minutes, then the next hour, etc. it's so hard and let's face it, you can't go backwards to a time that was filled with all good things. You can however fill your thoughts with special times and intimate moments that you two shared. So many people never get those times with a special someone.

Sending healing thoughts and prayers that peace and comfort find you today and always,

Dawn
 
I am sure today will be filled with many tears, I hope you also find many memories of special times you and your love shared...fabulous sunsets, rainy days filled with companionship and the shared joy we all have in watching our children grow. Actively replay some of the best times in your mind today and consider that you were blessed to have had many years of joy with your husband. I will be thinking of you today.
 
BrnEydGrl - Add my hugs and hopes to those that have already been expressed here. I'm one week ahead of you (LTKR 11/19), and have all the usual complaints. Those are bad enough, but your situation is truly heartbreaking. Yes, follow the advice of seeking out effective pain control from your general physician. Pain is exhausting and discouraging, and creates a vicious cycle of pain-->depression-->pain. Getting the pain under control has got to be your first step. Do not assume that your outcome will be negative, though. Rest, ice, elevate, and gentle movement are the foundation of recovery.

This is my first post. I've been "lurking" here since shortly after my surgery, when I was wondering why in the world I'd ever considered TKR in the first place. At 7 weeks I'm progressing fine, I think. I don't have the bend I'd like, and I'm dealing with the vise/mole grip feeling, but I'm making steady progress. I just had my last PT appointment, so now I'm on my own. I wonder if I really need to make myself hurt, the way my physical therapist did. I paid a price every time he pushed my knee painfully far -- increased swelling and immobility. My instinct tells me that backing off a little and getting slow but steady progress is more my style.

I had a very good day last Saturday -- leg felt good and fairly loose, and I slept (almost) through the night. Of course, I then overdid it, and I'm still paying. I do get discouraged from time to time, and wonder whether this will EVER be over. I love this forum, and the attitudes and advice here. Some other forums seem to be dedicated either to horror stories, without any positive response; Or to "overachievers" who have 150 degrees of flexion at 3 weeks, and just hiked 5 miles! Thanks!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Need Help and Encouragement, please...
mtnmamma,
Please start your own thread in the knee replacement pre op area. You will see a black oblong at the top right hand side of the page that says "Post New Thread"--when you click on it, it will open a title box. You determine the title you want for your thread and then to down to the dialogue box and proceed to tell us a little about yourself or you can copy and paste what you have written here.

The advantage of having your own thread is there is a place for you to express your concerns and ask your questions, and all us other BoneSmarties can respond directly to you there and can always find you to post to. And you will not hi-jack BrownEyedGirl's thread.

Looking forward to your first post in your thread and learning more about you.
 
BrownEyedGirl.....I must apologize to you that I am just now reading your thread and learning of this horrific experience you have been through. God bless our wonderful BoneSmart family, though. I see they have been there for you with excellent advice and counsel. And a birthday party for you too!!! Our members are THE BEST.

What you have experienced has no excuses and I do hope that once you are on the mend that you spend some time writing very pointed letters to a wide variety of agencies, boards and whoever else you can think of to report the behavior of this surgeon.

One other thing I think is worth noting in your case is how you have touched so many people. Honestly this is the first time on BoneSmart that I have seen several people join just to provide support and comfort for someone going through a rough time. What a heartwarming thing and I hope this has touched you as much as it has me.

Now....on to where you are right now with your recovery.

Do be sure that you are not pushing any activity or exercise beyond just mild discomfort. Gentle bending and stretching is really all that's needed while you are still experiencing swelling problems. Keep in mind that it is the swelling and not any other problems with your knee that is keeping you from the ROM that is there. As the swelling subsides, you'll see more movement.

Be sure you are icing and elevating (toes above your nose) as much as possible. That means at night when you're sleeping as well as during the day. You cannot over-ice. Just be sure that you keep a towel or cloth between the ice and your skin, so the skin isn't damaged. I slept with ice on the front and back of my knee for a good 3 months!!

You say you have "Federal" insurance, so I'm assuming that you are a retired Federal government worker. That is good, because as you're finding out, your insurance company can be a big help to you. Keep them in the loop with what's going on.

I agree that you still should meet with the pain management specialist. You have nothing to lose and this person can be a good fall-back supporter if your surgeon doesn't get the job done.

What is the new pain med? I'm not particularly convinced that this practice is really going to be attentive to your needs, so I have concerns about what they plan to give you.

You do need to locate a new surgeon for help. Try using the BoneSmart LOCATE A CLINIC link (tab at the top of the page). You type in your zip code and how far you are willing to drive and you will get a list of clinics to check out. If you tell me your zip code, I can do some searching as well. Sometimes it's a bit difficult to get a surgeon to see you this soon after surgery. It's going to be important for you to be really vocal about your lack of follow-on treatment to get an appointment. I think it can be done, though.

I'm glad you found our forum. I'm glad that our BoneSmarties have been here to help and support you. You have many people who care about you and you are never alone. Please keep writing and we'll get you through all of this....promise.
 
This is truly unbelievable. I can't believe how many new friends I have out there and people that really care. I sent this link to my daughter and she was so thrilled. She is amazed at all the help I am getting. She apologized for not totally understanding and is so grateful I have all of you who can relate. I skyped with my grandson yesterday and it meant everything to me. She made me a video of him singing Happy Birthday that I have watched over 100 times!
As for me, it is so hard even saying anything about this doctor because I have not talked to him at all since before the surgery. It is totally through his one nurse. I agree, it may be her, I think she is either a poor listener or overworked. She just goes by what he says to a "t". I don't feel that the doctor is involved at all. I have heard this about him from several people...he does the surgery and then is totally out of the picture.
I have been put on Nucynta 50 mg. I just took the first dose. I am willing to try anything. Typical though, he only gave a 5 day supply. Just totally crazy. I also asked for 600mg of Ibuprofen which works really well for me. I guess every body is different. I talked to someone that knew of someone that worked in his office a few years back and said my problem was "typical." I guess if someone had better than my 60 ROM and not as much swelling they would not really care like I do. This person passed on two doctors that have taken over his unhappy patients so I do have two names for the future.
As for the pain management referral I was basically told "no" not at this time, unless I am having another problem other than my knee. I am going to wait to see how this med works and I am not giving up any options. My insurance advocate said she would take care of that or anything else I needed. She would talk to anyone for me. That makes me feel so good!
So for now, I am doing everything, everyone says. I actually do not think anyone else can do anymore? My physical therapist is very kind and gentle and is trying anything to loosen it. It is like it is truly stuck! It feels like "stone" that gets slightly softer but then swells right up again. I sleep with my foot way up in the air and it does not seem to drain...if that makes sense. When I put a icepack on it, it shows every "indention" like it is memory foam. hahaha Then it bounces right back. Do you think there are adhesions or is just swelling? The X-rays showed that all was fine, placement etc. It is still so sore and black and blue it is hard to massage it but maybe that is what I should be doing? I hope I am doing everything I should.
Yes, today was very tough. I sat and looked through old wedding and honeymoon photos. We were true soul mates. He always said "If I go before you, live your life and I will meet you on the other side." Our lives were such a adventure.
Just saying 'thank you" just does not seem enough... :friends: tomorrow is another day.


.
 
When I put a icepack on it, it shows every "indention" like it is memory foam. hahaha Then it bounces right back. Do you think there are adhesions or is just swelling? The X-rays showed that all was fine, placement etc. It is still so sore and black and blue it is hard to massage
You never mentioned bruising before. If you have extensive bruising then this will certainly create a feeling like it's 'stone'. And adhesions don't show on the outside so indubitably it is swelling and bruising that is causing your problem. You might try applying witch-hazel as suggested in this thread Bruising after surgery. But don't worry too much about this - it's quite normal. Some people get it worse than others. And I don't think massage will help much until the bruising fades a bit.
 
You have many many friends..actually a very large family who are all feeling for you.
Thank YOU for coming here and sharing. Even with all of your pain and sadness, I will bet that you have brought light to someone needing some kind of help and were afraid to share as you have.

Many good thoughts are being sent to you.
 
Thank you! I will pick up some Witch Hazel right away. Yes, I had terrible bruising and still have a lot now, but now only directly around the knee. The rest has cleared up. A nurse in the hospital said I will have al ot of bruising and swelling because my doctor does not use drains.
That is such a nice thing to say Knitter. Honestly, if I was able to help one person, my pain would have been worth it. :)
 
(((BrnEydGrl)))
 
Reaching out from the West Coast. So sorry that you're still having bruising & the dreaded "vice grip". My 2 cents: Get thee to another doctor. Soon. Please. This doc will never respond to your needs. Ask your GP for a referral. I don't know where you are in PA, but there's more than one orthopedic surgeon there, for sure. Many hugs.
 
Hi BEG,
I think your knee is still too swollen to bend. Your tissues underwent trauma and if you have severe bruising there is blood in the tissues along with the edema (swelling). Your body will mobilize the extra fluids in time, but it does take time! Again, ice, and elevate
In addition to witchazel, I love 'arnica montana'.
It is a homeopathic remedy that you can take orally, or, for the bruising, on the skin. I massaged my knee with arnica cream after my surgeries. I am a very easy 'bruiser'. It really works!!!
You can get arnica in the pharmacy area/herbal med area of the supermarket. I haven't seen it in drugstores.
I hope that you have some relief with your new meds. If not, get back on the horn and complain. I'm thrilled that you have an advocate from the insurance company.
I continue to send prayers and thoughts your way!
Best,
Sandy
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom