TKR Need Help and Encouragement, please...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm glad you got you meds BEG, good for you!I hope thinks move forward for you so you canget some relief and a doctor that cares!:console2:
 
4 days for $40 dollars???? OMG - I would absolutely die. My OS prescribed like 200 at a time so I could get the most bang for my buck. Honestly, this doctor is practicing in a very inhumane manner and there are no words to adequately describe his professional behavior.
 
That is the most he prescribes. I told them that I pay a co-pay of $40 if it is one day or one month. They don't care.That was the LAST prescription from him. I have been dealing with that since day one. Had to go to his office, pick it up personally and then take it to a pharmacy. No exceptions. Awful Awful office. <sigh> I am DONE. And I filled out the request for all of my records AFTER I filled the prescription. If I need any in the future, it will either be pain management or my GP. He is aware of that.

Who knows how long they will take to get me my paperwork but I had to physically sign a release to myself. I also added that I give permission to send it to any doctor I suggest. I know this is going to be long and drawn out but it is done. I feel so relieved. If something else goes wrong, I will just go to the ER and not at his hospital.

I also filled out a online request again for the doctor that said he would take patients after three months. Please keep your fingers crossed for me. I will probably hear from them tomorrow. If not, I will just knock on doors and I always have my original NYC doctor. It would just be a pain traveling there but I will do it if I need to. Trying to get in a NYC cab without bending a knee should be a real challenge.

I am stronger and I have to attribute that to all of you. I mean that! You have all given me the strength I need. Fear is such a debilitating emotion. I always know I can come here and re-read your notes and not feel totally alone.

I give thanks every day, that I found this site. My life has been so upside down with so many different obstacles. I just found out two days ago that my step dad has Alzheimers on top of the Parkinsons. We thought it was dementia but now they feel differently. My mother is also slowly having more and more difficulties. I had a brother that died when I was young so I really have no siblings to lean on or help. Soon they will have to be moved from Independent Living to Assisted.
My mother does not want that, so I hired a nurse to help out a couple days a week. It has been hard for me to drive and deliver meds...etc to them. I am so familiar with care-taking, my husband and I had my father move in with us, when we lived in Hawaii. He, my father, died of cancer.

I had a really tough night last nit and I swear I have more swelling and the bruising seems darker. Maybe it is a delayed reaction from the fall? The x-rays showed all is well. I am elevating and icing. Can you ever do that too much? I swear, all the fluid from below my knee seems to stop at the knee no matter what I do.
I just can't wait to have a doctor that cares and I can trust. I just want to be able to bend my knee, even a little. I think it has even gotten worse since I stopped PT. I do gentle stretching and of course all my regular chores around the house.
I am just taking it a hour at a time and...
"I wish I could hug each and every one of you for being there for me"
 
[Bonesmart.org] Need Help and Encouragement, please...
 
Awe BEG! :console2: I hope you stay positive, as hard as that is when it seems all else is dismal, but it will get better, because you are working soooo hard! (((((HUGS))))))
 
BEG,
I can see a real change in your posts, you sound so much more positive. Just remember once you get your reports you can just copy them yourself and send them off to any DR you want to. You do not need to have the new DR. request them direct from DR. NONO. So once you have them in your hands I'm sure things will be much easier to deal with. If you get any CD of x-rays, MRI etc. you take them with you to the new Drs. to look at but be sure you always get them back and keep them with you.
I am dealing with this with my back issues and I make copies of the written reports (sure am using a lot of printer ink) which they can keep (I always keep the original) and let them see the CD then home it goes with me.
 
BEG, one thing you can do, is to see someone that can do lymphatic drainage massage on your leg. That can help get some of the extra fluid moving, although it may be short lived. But it can give you some relief. One of the PTs might be able to do it, actually, if yours doesn't.
 
I sent in the request for all of my files, for me. I guess I will then take it from there? I hope they do not drag on with the information. I am no longer in P/T/ She put me on hold for now because nothing was changing at all. I only have 50 P/T visits a year on my insurance so she did not want to use them up.
I don't know if I am doing right or wrong. The knee is not budging,even with gentle stretches. Should I be doing more? Am I icing too much? I have so many questions and it really is sad I have,and never had, anyone to suggest any help. I don't think I would be in this situation if I had a doctor that cared or even saw me after the surgery. The swelling was incredible. Maybe something could have been done? There I go again, thinking about what could have been.
I just hope and pray the doctor I wrote to will set up a appointment for me soon.....it is so hard living this way...:boohoo:
 
I would say you can't ice too much. You also say you are doing general household chores. That could be a lot or a little! As Ive read on another post, if you won't die if it doesn't get done, then don't do it! Rest ice stretch elevate!
 
It is so hard for me to sit still and there is no one else around to do the things that need to be done. I am a bit OCD... bad combination with a TKR! :dancy: I swear the bruises are getting darker. Does that mean anything?

My GP's office called and set up a Pain Management Doc. I see him the second week of February. Yea! I trust my doc that he is good. I hope so! I guess I will just have to ask my GP if I need more medication between now and then. I have not heard from the other OS...maybe tomorrow? Gosh, I really hope and pray he takes me on.

I just can't wait until this is over. I AM going to my hair stylist and am going to get a cut. Maybe that will make me feel better. I pushed her off twice already. I just hope I can do it without any knee bend! That should be amusing.

My oncologist had to push my appointment for a couple of weeks. He got the flu! I was a bit worried about how I was going to have my normal exam with my knee that would not bend. You just don't think about these things and take them for granted.


Today I really thought about all the disabled people in the world and what they must be going through. How humbling that thought is. I hope to be walking normal one day, but what about those that can't. Just little things like getting into a taxi, or sitting in a hair dressers chair. I actually felt "thankful" for the first time in 8 weeks.

:flwrysmile:
 
BrnEydGrl, I love the way you looking at life. :flwrysmile: I know you are down and that is so normal. :groan: I wish I could wave a wond and have it remove all the darkness but I can't. :console2: I can send lots and lots of hugs. :console2: And know in time you will be out of depression and getting moving again. :console2: You are doing great. I know you question this but look at all what you have done. Please keep a journal of all the things you are doing. With a swollen leg please ice, elevate, and rest. Don't rub the leg to much you might hurt it. :umm: Massage is a good thing but not too much. :scratch:
My dentist didn't go well. :shrug: He couldn't finish because its really mess up. :rolleyes: I wanted way to long but I will make it. Just like you I will make it. :egypdance: Take care. :happydance: Tashia :puppysmooze: :friends: :flwrysmile:
 
4 days? jeez I just don't understand what they're thinking - this is surgery not pill seeking! ugh I wish I could give you what I've got left over! Keep hanging in there - you are brave and strong...very! xoxo
 
Yep,no more than five days at a time...even leaving the hospital three days after surgery. he usually keeps patients one to two nights. I insisted to stay a extra because I could not walk 5 feet. I was too swollen and in too much pain. Percoset did not work but that fell on deaf ears.
 
Hang in there, BEG!

Your knee is healing itself and things are going to get better!

((((((((HUGS for BEG)))))))) :friends:

Caryl (Celle)
 
(((BrnEydGrl))) I am so sorry that you have been treated so badly. I see you are from the Leigh Valley in PA. I live in Delaware, so we're just a couple of hours away from each other. There are so many great doctors in the Phila. Area, that it's such a shame that you had to have such a jerk. I'm just about 8 weeks out and I can't imagine what you have been through and by yourself no less. How I wish I lived closer so I could help. There are so many wonderful people on this site and they have wonderful advice. It sounds like your primary doctor is willing to help, so hopefully he'll follow through. Hang in there:)
 
Hay How are you doing? Are you writing those letters? I sure would be. Now that you got your hair cut do you feel like a new women? I know I must be in the Mother role right now, I am asking a lot of question aren't I? :heehee: I am concerned about you thats why. You have so much on your plate but I know you can make it. Life at times is not fair. We have things that aren't right but I was told that was life. In time you will find some of it funny and you will laugh at it. I don't know what it will be but I have found this to be true. At this moment I think you need some hugs. :console2: :console2: now that you have them, hold on tight because another day has happened and you are closer to being heading toward total recover. Sleep tight. Tashia :friends: :flwrysmile: :puppysmooze:
 
4 days? jeez I just don't understand what they're thinking - this is surgery not pill seeking!
There is a real problem in the country with prescription narcotics getting into the wrong hands. But it's not TKR patients!
Thank goodness my doc gave me a couple of weeks worth at a time.
 
My OS doc is more than ridiculous with his drugs. When I finally DID see him for a couple of minutes this last visit I TOLD him how bad my pain was managed. He got snippy and said "didn't the block work." Again, he did not listen. grrr
Anyway I have a question and don't know what to do. I feel like I am taking one step forward and two steps back sometimes. I do Ice, elevate and rest all day long. Before bed, I elevate and massage, the tissue around the knee feels a little more pliable than it usually does. Some nights I sleep elevated, others I ice, and others just a small pillow underneath. I keep experimenting but every morning....My knee is warm and a ROCK again! I rush to get ice and start all over. :headbang:
 
I usually fell asleep with an ice pack wrapped round my knee and one at the side of the bed for when I wakened up in the night. It wasn't always still frozen but it was cool. You are about 8 weeks I think ? And that was when I was really miserable and felt like I'd never get better. It is a roller coaster of ups and downs and if you get your pain meds sorted out and keep on doing what you're doing then you will get there I'm sure.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom