TKR Need Help and Encouragement, please...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eight weeks was a really tough time for me too...it seemed as if I was moving backwards on a daily basis. My energy was really erratic, I was stupid weepy and had trouble completing anything. Gaining ROM was a joke too. Hang in there. I am about three weeks ahead of you and just now starting to feel like I can try to take on a small project and maybe have a chance of completing it before I give up.
 
Roller Coaster for sure! I keep doing "loop de loops"! Yep, got the hair cut and highlighted yesterday. I was happy and sad at the same time. Happy when I looked in the mirror but sad with no where to go. I feel like I bit off more than I can chew at this time in life. Maybe I should have waited until I felt mentally prepared. Too late now I guess. It is really hard to keep positive. A song will come on, I will smell something, and it flashes me back to being with my husband. I have no idea how you deal with this heartache. I have done everything they say you should do to help things along but...I guess only time will truly make it slightly easier. When I would really get down I would jump in my car and drive. Sometimes I would round up the kitties and wind up in Florida. Just seeing the grandson would turn things around. Now, I feel so stuck, literally. The knee is truly "stuck." Driving is quite a chore, even getting IN the car is a chore. Two months. Seems like a lifetime. I never realized I would be in this position. Sitting still is so hard, because then the brain starts thinking. I think I need to play some computer games like someone suggested. When I feel like I just can't "breathe" I come back here and read your beautiful notes. I can then take a breath and remember a sentence my husband once said to me. "If I go before you, I want you to keep living, because one day I promise, I will meet you on the other side.'
 
Sorry to hear you are feeling so stuck, my heart goes out to you for the loss of your husband. Glad to hear you got your hair done, for now it is for you to enjoy.
Hoping soon things turn around for you.
Here is a link to the games room, https://bonesmart.org/forum/view/games-room.12/. Takes just enough brainpower to keep your mind off your troubles.:flwrysmile:
 
BEG my heart goes out to you! I can't even imagine your pain. This tkr thing is a LONG recovery. I am almost at 5 mos and I would like to forget about my knee just for awhile, but its always there reminding me I had a tkr.

I hope you can catch a break soon, you definetly deserve it. Hugs!
 
Recovery from a tkr is not easy, but with all the pain and heartache you're dealing with, it has to be beyond difficult. I've had to depend on friends and family throughout my recovery and I'm so thankful to have them in my corner. I wish we could all come and take turns taking care of you! I hope you have some luck finding a new OS. I think if you can find one that is caring and skilled with tkr you will be on the road to a much better tomorrow. Remember that we all care about you and hope that things get better for you soon...
 
That is a great comment to remember from your husband.
 
Oh BEG! I am so sad for you!
I now that you are new to your area, but you would defiately benefit from Grief Counselling. Just like recovery from a TKR, grief is also a long healing curve. Just talking it out will help you feel better. You have had such turmoil in a very short period of time, I'm impressed that you are doing as well as you are!!!
I hope that that things imrove for you.
Just remember. You are strong. You will survive this. We are here to support your journey.
Cyber hugs
Sandy
 
Oh, and by the way, you late hubby is darn right. You have alot of living to do. Follow his advice lady!
 
I hope and pray tomorrow may be a bright new day. I hope so much that I get a return call from the new OS doctor. I called and also wrote for a appointment on their website.
I am feeling a bit sore right now. I think I pushed a little too hard. :( I just never know how far to push!! <big sigh>
I also will need to talk to my GP for more pain meds. (since it has been a week on the THREE day supply the OS gave me) I have been taking them a little more though, since the fall. 3-4 times over a 24 hour period. My old OS has me so paranoid I don't know what is too much anymore!
Sorry, feeling a bit sore and down tonight. Tomorrow is a new day....glad I have you all out there!
 
BEG - I'm almost at 6 weeks and this is my 2nd one. I know that anytime I'm on my feet for even as little as 1/2 hour my leg swells and it mostly settles in my knee. Any socks that I wear leave a huge indentation so it is completely normal to swell when you are up and around - unfortunately it swells easier than it subsides. This is the way it is and it will be this way for months and months. It makes it very hard to bend, as you have realized. Sometimes for me, I don't even have to ice I just sit down and put it up and after a few minutes I ease into bending it again to keep it from freezing up on me. It is an ongoing battle and you just have to persevere.

If and when you get a real prescription for serious pain meds you will discover that as long as you take it as prescribed every 3 hours or so you can stay ahead of this stiffness and pain - it doesn't heal you but does give you the freedom to move just a little bit better.

Hang in there and keep up the good work - Lord knows no one is going to do the work for us so we have to persevere and go it alone. Then there is this site so we are not really "alone".
 
You know, I agree with the one step forward and two steps back. I am icing like crazy and there are times I don't think it's doing what it should. Sometimes I get in a hot tub and do my stretching there. Gentle. Lay flat in the tub, with my feet flat, I put my hands over my head on the top of the tub and gently inch my self towards my feet. Does that make sense? Some how with the warmth of the water I feel they move better. Never to pain of course. I still ice, but I do the tub once a day.
 
What do you do?
I am sure there are many of you out there that live alone? Do you take any precautions, in case you fall? I really don't want to get "alert", I can't see me using it in the future. I try to have my cell phone on me at all times, but you do not have a cell phone in the shower.

I just had a real scare. AGAIN! It is such a handicap dragging this almost "straight" leg around. I don't need the walker, crutches or cane anymore but maybe I should? When you are not hurting that much you almost forget you have a bad knee! I sometimes forget about it and that was the cause of my fall down the steps. I forgot to lead with the bad leg.

Anyway, I was walking from the kitchen to the living room and my shoe caught a corner of the rug. Because of the bend, it does not raise up too high. Well, it catapulted me into the sofa. Luckily the sofa was in the way! This leg has become a hazard! I started thinking, what if I fell down the stairs to the basement. (that is where the washer/dryer is) I never really thought of that before and it sent shivers up my spine.

My mom calls me every night if I don't call her. She worries. My mother has a friend that lives only 4 blocks from me, so she could call her.

I tweaked my knee a little bit, so I am a bit sore and am "icing." I just wondered if anyone had any ideas? I am so not used to this "alone" thing. I lived with my dad in high school, lived in a dorm, (strict college), met my husband while in college, got married and never ever lived on my own. I feel like I am "re-inventing" myself. I was never totally dependent on my husband but there are so many things you never think about! I think the first time it actually hit me was one day I was trying to open a jar and couldn't. I broke down a cried and then bought a gadget that helped!

Sandy, thanks for the suggestion for counselling. I do have a therapist that I am again seeing. She was actually my cancer therapist and is trained in grief, hospice etc. I tried a widows group, but actually it was a bit too depressing to me. It is still pretty hard to even talk about it.

Back to my question....any ideas?:shrug:
 
You know, I still trip 4.5 months later because I don't think my leg raises as high as it should. You call it reinventing yourself - I call it recalculating, you know like the gps!!!! Be proud you are doing it alone. It is after all what it is. No one will ever know what you are doing by yourself. Just be proud! I did it alone and learned so much about myself. Still am. Be proud!
 
BrnEydGrl You are doing great. I live by myself and the thought of falling and not be able to get up is so real. If it would make you feel better right now to have the Alert do it. You can use them for just for a short time like now. I would look into it. Also before all my operations I put up all my rugs so there would be less chance for falling. I still have them up eventhough its been a while. I know this has been very ruff on you. Being alone and having all this trouble is so hard on you but take it a minute at a time. When you get a good pain pills prescription take the pills the way they are written. I know being alone and taking pills are scary and I also know that feeling but you are ok. Just make sure you eat and drink lots of water. Keep posting on the site so we know you are ok. How are you coming along with those letters. I would have so many by now is this is happening to me. Have you gotten a stuff animal yet so you can hug it? It really works take it from someone who knows. I sometime sleep with it. It helps the loneness. I sorry I didn't write yesterday. I was having problem with my tooth but today I am better. My dentist put me on some medication so I will be ok. Please know we care about and if we could we would help take care of you. So this is what I want you to do.
Close you eyes and imagine the whole site around you giving you a very bit hug. Do this everytime you need it we got plenty so don't worry about running out. :heehee: Please take care. We love you and want you to get better. :friends: Tashia :console2: :console2: :console2:
 
I have been thinking and if I was falling I would use my walker for a while and espeically if I was hurting. Maybe you stoped useing it to soon like I did. What do you think? Tashia :friends: :puppysmooze: :console2:
 
Many that are single are in a completely and totally different plane/place than you. They would no more know what to do with another person under foot 24/7 than you know what to do without someone.

That said, be proactive in decision making and always have a backup plan. That works well for everyone in all life situations.

To specifically address your questions about being at your house alone, if you are tripping and are unsteady, then use a crutch so that you have something to assist with your balance should it happen again.

If you are wearing shoes or have a rug that might create a hazard, remove them for awhile. Use non skid slippers where it's not necessary to pick your foot up so high........ (of course, while using your crutch until you feel comfortable without it).

Going downstairs to do laundry, someone mentioned once they put it in a clean garbage bag and threw it down the stairs and then went down. You can take a step at a time while holding onto the railing, or not do laundry for awhile, or have someone pick it up and do it for you..... what else can you think of that would help ease your mind?

Phone, yes, I had it with me in the bathroom with pre-programmed numbers to call and a way for others to get in if necessary. That should be a given for all of us post surgery if alone during the day. Plus, had an extra huge towel in the bathroom to wrap around me just in case. :heehee:

I don't understand about needing it in the shower. In my bathroom, my phone was always on a counter within arm's reach. If you think you won't be able to reach a counter, then put the phone on the bathroom floor when you shower..... whatever works.

If there is someone 4 blocks away your mom knows, then "you" get the phone number and call her and say "hi". Explain that you might need to call her if you fall and can't get up. And if she might not be there when needed, ask if there is someone else in her house that could help you, or another neighbor that she might know. Again, proactive and backup plan. :thumb:

Hopefully, I have helped generate some ideas for you. And it is very understandable that you are still grieving your loss; someday you may be comfortable being single and perhaps even enjoy being independent.
 
BEG, you need to forget the old OS and any garbage he filled your head with. Let him go as he was no help then and he is no help now. You will not become defendant on pain meds if that's your worry, and taking them and being alone is not uncommon. The instructions given when dispensed are tried and true. If you have concerns, speak with the pharmacist to know what their thoughts are as well.

I agree with the others; use a walking aid and be very mindful of how you walk. Think heel toe, heel toe. I know it's not easy with little bend but even the active thought of foot placement will help you avoid tripping. Also as others have said, remove the scatter rugs. They will trip you up. It's temporary.

If Alert will make you feel better get it on a temporary basis. It's only for a short period of time and if it provides peace of mind, then it's worth it.

As for the what if of falling down the cellar stairs, well we all face that what if from time to time. Take it slow always, do smaller loads, love the garbage bag idea...all great suggestions.

Hope you connect with new OS today. Let us know and try to stay positive. The challenges you are facing all take a long time to recover from, so accept that.

Be well,

Dawn
 
Thank you for all the wonderful ideas!!! I am back to using my walker. It forces me to be more mindful of my steps.
Another question....just wondering, at this stage, does weather have anything to do with pain? I have been having a couple of bad days. Just wondering?
 
Brn, I do find that weather sometimes does make me sore. We are having cold weather and its been challenging some days. I am very glad to hear you are using the walker. I still have mind and my cane and I use them when I am sore and when there are going to be a lot of people around me, espically small kids. As far as the weather I was told the first year is when its the worse. So fare they were right. You are doing so good. Each day you are closer to getting better. Tashia :friends: :console2: :console2: :console2:Remember we have plenty of hugs here. Never will run out. :flwrysmile:
 
Thanks Tashia! I am really hurting tonight. :sad: I think I need to take my meds a little more than usual for some reason? Never heard from that new doc's office. The one that refused me a couple of weeks ago, but said one of the docs would consider patients three months post op. I guess that kind of bothers me. I called to see if they are getting my paperwork and records together and they said they were working on them and would mail them to me. Another month like this, without a doctor to encourage me, or at least tell me all is going to be ok.....kind of a bummer.
I guess it hits me every once in a while how mistreated I have been. I know I just need to get over it, and I am trying. It is just hard not to have a doctor who cares, besides my GP, who says there is not much more he can do. He is writing me a script to hold me over until I see Pain Management. I guess I should be happy for that. I have not talked to him for a couple of weeks but his nurse keeps in touch if I have any questions. He did get me a visit with a pain management doctor but said there is nothing he can do if the other ortho team does not want to see me. Oh well, I guess I have to wait the three months. I was just hoping to get a appointment AT three months. Just feeling blue. Thanks for being there so I can vent...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom