TKR Need Help and Encouragement, please...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi BrnEydGrl! I have been hurting more the past few days and my therapist said she thinks the weather has alot to do with it and that she has been hearing the same complaint from her patients for the past several days. I'm glad to hear that you are using your walker again. Hopefully it will give you the extra support you need until you are more stable. I'm so sorry you still haven't gotten your doctor issue resolved. Hopefully you'll get good news soon. Hang in there!!
 
Brn sorry to hear that. When you are in pain and can't seem to get out of it, you get depressed. Just keep posting. I know feeling the blues stinks but just think how well you have done on your own without that OS. If I remember right don' you have a doctor app. with your Cancer doctor? He does know about all this right? We are here and you know that. Spend time reading some of the stories and visting and posting. It helps getting your mind off on things. I did notice you are starting to. Also the Games in the Social. Feeling blue will go away. It's not perment. Keep us imformed with what going on. Please know we care. :console2: :friends: :flwrysmile: :puppysmooze:
 
:) :dancy: :happydance: :yahoo: I got a appointment with the new OS docs!!!!!!!!!!!!! Am I excited???? Not till Feb 26th because that will be the 3 months but I got one!!!!!!! (there is some weird law about three months, anyone ever heard of that?) Anyway.......:yes!:
 
Double like that you have an appointment. Never heard of that law.
Just glad you have someone else to work with.
 
I have been reading some of your posts and agree that your old OS was a jerk. I think that the life of a widow is difficult and one of readjustments. Change is hard and we all hate it when we have to do it.

I am interested that you and your husband were rangers---did you ever work in Glacier NP? I live right near the Park and spend a lot of time in it. It seems like you need some help with that "straight" leg first, but maybe you can start to look forward to spring and the chance to rediscover some trails in a park. I love to hike and that connection to nature is what soothes my soul and reminds me that life is worth living.

I am impressed with the steady attention you have from some great posters. Elise gave you some great ideas for living alone, that was a great list. And I also agree that you should have the number of your mom's friend nearby.

I really hope that your life begins to improve and getting a new OS sounds like the first step. Kelly
 
YES, WHAT A WAY TO GO YA I am aware I yelled but that is so great. We can help you get to that date and after. We are here for you. Never heard of that law. Start countdown. Take care and rest. Tashia
 
Thank you Tashia, you have been a "gem." Skigirl, Whitefish Montana, what a "glorious" place. I still feel, through all of my travels, Glacier National Park to be the most beautiful. We lived in Montana for a short time, in Livingston, it was wonderful. We spent most of our years in Yellowstone, Grand Canyon and Pt Reyes, California. We got a late start, since we lived in Hawaii, and raised our kids there. I would not trade in one single day. :)
I want to get back to work, someday, when this knee works itself out. I may just do summers in a park, not sure where yet. I have Ranger friends, close to my age, that just do seasonal work for the enjoyment.
Losing my husband was devastating. Because you move around quite a bit, at your own choice, you really have no roots or circle of friends. So losing him, leaves me very "alone" literally.
I am really looking forward to see this new team of OS doctors. I hear they are wonderful. I wish I had heard that before I chose my OS. Well, I don't want to look back. I do get a bit scared at what is in store for me. I don't really know if I can mentally handle another surgery. I know, I should not even think of that.
I am just happy, happy, happy I have a appointment. Today I see my therapist, (cancer) and she will be really happy to hear about my good news. I am now seeing her again, weekly. AND...I got a new prescription for pain meds from my GP. Things look great, but I don't want to JINX it. I am still taking it a day at a time.
Hugs to all of you........:flwrysmile:
 
:goodpost: :happydance: :iagree: Brn I am so happy for you. Good things do come. My husband and I moved a lot so I know what you mean about being alone. It is a hard life but I wouldn't given it up for anything. Because it is also a very exciting life. New placed, new people and what a wonderful way of seeing the USA. When you move a lot you have to discover ways to meat people. One of mine is when I could have a animal, I would walk my dog at the time people were coming home from work and on weekends when I noticed people were out. I know you are not ready for such a activity but do keep the idea it really works. Remember a day at a time. But you can celebrate the good times also. Keep up the good work.
You do still need <<<<<HUg>>>>>> :friends: :console2: :puppysmooze: :flwrysmile: :kittykiss: :SUNsmile:
 
Fantastic news!!!!!!! I am so happy for you. You said that you have heard great things about this group of doctors so try not to worry about what might be ahead. They will take care of you and of course you have all of us.
 
BEG, I'm so happy you have an appointment with the new OS! :dancy: :yay:

Your old OS may be a perfectly competent surgeon, but he has no people skills and he is the poorer for that. Being a surgeon should not just be a matter of mechanics, but rather a matter of remembering that those body parts he operates on belong to real people.

Ah well, you have something to look forward to now. Hooray! :spin: In the meantime, continue to be kind to your knee - rest, ice, elevate, and gentle exercises. This recovery business isn't a sprint race - it's more like a marathon. Slow and steady progress is the aim.

Best wishes, :flwrysmile:
Caryl
 
So happy to hear that you have a new appointment! This next month will be easier just knowing you have the appointment made.

Re: what to do to keep safe in the house. I think you are right to keep using the walker for safety. As far as not having a cell phone on you while in the shower, leave it on the floor just outside the shower so if you were to have a fall, it would be on the floor with you already! Can you reach down to the floor? If not, can you hang some sort of pocket just outside the shower that you could put the phone in that you could just pull up and let down?
 
Yes, it is nice when life seems to open up a little--isn't it. I would not worry now about another surgery---plenty of time to worry after you find out! I had to have a second surgery on my left knee and it has really been for the good. I felt plenty sorry for myself--but I got over it and now I am happy I did it.

We have lots of folks here who work in the park in the summer time. Just think of the years ahead of you filled with Park life. I am sorry about your husband---but, it is important to remember that he more than anyone else would want you to enjoy life and to live it well. I think you will be fine---this has been a blip in the road complicated by your grief. Kelly
 
BEG,
So happy to hear you got an appointment with the new OS. Things can only go up from here. Just be getle with the knee until you see the new OS and let him take it from there. Don't look back, will only bring bad memories of the DR. NONO. I can read it in your post that your spirit has lifted and there is some relief in your words, only a better future from here.
 
So glad you got a new appointment. Rugs are tricky. If you can't manage to move it or remove it because it's too heavy or bulky, this would be a good place to make sure you focus on your step when you reach that point and be careful you don't get your walker caught on it as well. I nearly fell into my fireplace the other day when starting a fire. Not really sure what happened but I broke my fall with my hand and never went down. It wouldn't have been pretty. I have double trouble because no only did I have the RTKR in mid=December but I had a lumbar fusion at the end of July so with all the funky walking, limping, and as for the weather, this bone chilling cold, etc. it has aggravated my back too so if I fell ... it wouldn't have been good. At least my kids were here though so they could have rescued me.

You remind me of my mother. My dad died when she was only 58 and she remained a widow until her death 4 years ago at the age of 77. She had both of her knees done at different times and while she had access to medicine, she never tolerated it well and so she didn't take anything besides Tylenol. She was a tough ole Irish woman and she managed being a widow, living alone, working and multiple surgeries over many years and she was also strong, as you are.

Blessings to you.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Need Help and Encouragement, please...
That's what this day has been for you. A good sign of better things to come your way. As you can see, all us BoneSmarties are really happy for you. So keep your chin up and all your thoughts positive.
 
Congrats on the new doctor. Wish it was sooner but at least you've got someone on board. No reason you can't still try to get adequate pain management from your "old" doc.
 
Brneydgrl, I'm so glad you got a new OS on board! YAY :yay: you! Janet had a great suggestions about keeping a phone near the shower, at least that would take the element of fear away! I'm also glad you got some pain management meds from your GP, :thumb: Great job "Brown Eyed Girl"!

Do you think you can share your name with us so we can feel a bit closer? Thank you! :thumb:

Stay well and stay positive my BoneSmartie friend! We all care! :friends: None of us know what tomorrow holds for us, however we know you will be there to help us through! Thanks in advance!
 
BEG wonderful. I can't wait to hear about your visit with the new OS. I was told that orthopedic surgeons wouldn't see patients until they were a YEAR post op. I am, and am just setting up an appointment to see why my knee is still so stiff. So you are ahead of me. I hope you find a doc who is smart, competent, compassionate and a really good listener.
 
Wow Wow Wow....you all are really incredible! Hugs to each and every one of you. My name is Sandra, but love being called BEG. :loll: There is a story to that.

When the internet was just beginning, way back when, there was no such thing as chat or even AOL. There were bulletin boards and the first real "service" was Prodigy. Well, I was living in Hawaii with my family and a six hour time zone difference to the East Coast did not help when I needed someone to talk to.

You had to have a nickname to use the service, and I loved Van Morrison, so I came up with Brown Eyed Girl. It took too long for people to write, so I got the nickname BEG. So,when I came on here, and people called me BEG, that really made me smile.:)

What does that have to do with anything? This internet has helped me through some real rough patches, and it always renews my faith in the human race.

Thank you. I know I keep saying that, but it never seems like it is enough.

:thankyou:
 
As far as not having a cell phone on you while in the shower, leave it on the floor just outside the shower so if you were to have a fall, it would be on the floor with you already!

Hmmm... great minds and all, I suggested the same thing on Sunday.
Click here
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom