TKR Nanners adventure to the other side

Status
Not open for further replies.
Per my Gastroenterologist, even the products you rub in will at least in a small manner still get to your gut. We had gone on vacation to Guadalajara, Mexico and I found Voltaren Gel. My knee (pre tkr) was really hurting from all the walking we were doing. The minute I rubbed this stuff in the pain was gone. I thought I had gone to Heaven it was so good.

When we got home I had a GI appt and talked to him about this gel. He told me right away, you cannot use that, becuz even a small amount can leech into my guts. He said if I had to use it I could only do so once a month. I was so bummed, cuz the cream worked so well. Then I also found out Voltaren is in the NSAID family, so that made it a no go too. Stuff like that can trigger a Crohns flare, so I no longer use it. I do rub it on hubby's sore spots though. It sucks all that Crohns denies me. Hugs!
 
Well today my new knee is 5 months old! How does it feel? Better than it did, but I do believe I still have a ways to go. I still get stiff, still have issues when I get up after sitting or laying down, and still don't have the ROM I should. But I am hopeful that within time things will improve. Hey I still have 7 more months for a full year, so I will continue to hope things only get better. The thought of any further surgery is abhorent to me, and if this is the best, then I will be satisfied with that. But.....I still have hope for better days! Hugs!
 
Gail ,my dear, bless your heart. You have had such a time with this knee. I'm so glad you're feeling better. I can relate to not wanting anymore surgery..no one in their right mind relishes that thought!

Has your OS mentioned an MUA again? I know you are aware that it is NOT a surgery, just knocking you out for a minute while he bends the knee. I wouldn't be thrilled to have to have one, but if it helped me straighten my leg, I would give it a go.

I so hope with time and patience you get the results you deserve!! You have worked hard and with Crohns as a constant intruder in the process. You are one special lady.
 
Happy 5 month Gail! I know this has been an incredibly long, tough road for you, but, as the saying goes, "You have come a long way baby!". You may still have farther to go, but you are doing great, and I know things get a little better all the time. It might be a snail's pace but you are going in the right direction. Cheers to my favorite recovery buddy! :kittykiss: :puppysmooze: :cheers: :friends:
 
Happy 5th month anniversary Gail! Wow, where did 5 months go! Just think we're heading towards summer and the worse is over!:yay: You are on strong cookie! Stay well kiddo the best is yet to come!:thumb:
 
Thanks all! :) Doc said too late for MUA, which is think is ridiculous, seeing how others here had them even at 6 mos. But the surgery comment is more of....if he says I need more, it ain't happening. I will LIVE with what I have now. No more surgeries. I am literally traumatized to think of any more. But honestly, I think I will get there, but just slower than most. Hugs!
 
Well I have to go back to PT. Not for the knee itself, but becuz the way I am walking is irritating my left hip, tailbone and low back area. Or so they say! It could also be Crohns related. Unfortunately I cannot afford to go for too long, so it will probably only be one or two visits. I really doubt its gonna help much, as I actually lean on it being more Crohns related.

But it burns and hurts so much, I will at least give it a chance. Wish me luck! Hugs!
 
Gail, I am sorry this is happening. I only hope that PT will help you with your gait or give you some strengthening exercises that may be of some help over time. I know that when I fatigue and my gait degrades, that it aggravates my hip area. Big hug, good luck, and keep us posted! :kittykiss: :puppysmooze: :console2:
 
Thanks Lisa! I actually think it is sacroilliitis related to the Crohns. :groan: My tailbone, hips and low back area are so inflammed and painful right now. Hopefully there will be some stretches that will help. For now I have had to use extra pain meds, muscle relaxants and heat. I have even thought of using some steroids for a couple days to see if that helps, which I know it will. But coming back off the steroids has its own issues too. So darned if you do, and darned if you don't. :shrug:
 
Aw Gail, that sucks! You can't seem to catch a break no how!:console2: Geesh! I agree with Lisa, hopefully PT will be able to give you a list of exercises that you can do on your own! If they don't volunteer a list, asked them for one. That's the lest they can do! Good luck kiddo!
 
Gail, do you find that any kind of chiropractic work helps? Before my surgery, I would often get alot of inflammation in my SI joint because I was not walking enough to lubricate it. I would see a chiropractor when it got bad and her adjustments did give me some relief, although the best relief was getting in the pool. Just a thought. I agree with Jacky, ask them at PT if they don't offer. :kittykiss: :puppysmooze:
 
I thought of a chiropracter too Lisa, but honestly right now can't afford it, and insurance doesn't cover it. It sounds so good to get the area adjusted! Oh well, maybe the PT will have something like it that works well and calms it down some. I hadn't missed the burning inflammed pain, much like I had before the tkr. But its back and Ouchy!!! But the knee doesn't hurt!! LOL My husband laughs at me when I ask him to rub my butt!! But who else could you ask something like that!! Hahaha...
 
Oh, Gail, I feel terrible that you're in back pain. That damn Crohns, is a never ending monster. How is your extension coming?? Have you gotten it down some? I know that when the leg doesn't straighten, those muscles can't relax down and will cause pulling in the back!!

I had terrible back aches during my recovery while I was working on extension. I was one of those that had great flex right out of the surgery, but had to work to get to 0 degrees for the first 3 weeks or so. When I left the hospital I was at 7.

My pt told me my horrible back and hip pain on the TKR side was due to not being able to straighten the leg down..all those muscles and such were connected right up to the back.

I wish you well at PT sweetie.. Back pain is horrible, and you have had such a fight with pain. Wish I could snap my fingers and make that damn Crohns disappear.
 
Titianlady Toni, that is very good information. I have noticed that the more stretched out my leg is the better my back and hip feel, and I sometimes feeling that pulling like you are talking about.

Gail, glad you have someone to rub your butt! I am sure Flea would try if you asked. LOL! Use a heating pad too, that will help.
 
ElanorG, until I could get my leg down to close to 0, my back hurt terribly on that side. My hip, right up the back..burning, pulling, and spasms. Once I could straighten my leg,those muscles, tendons, and such could stretch down instead of being contracted and pulling on my back.
 
Thanks Tony!! I hate Crohns too, believe me!! My knee is not at 0 but much closer than it was, so they could very well be the culprit. I might ask to be measured at PT, not sure yet. I am trying to not focus so much on the numbers and just let it come in time as it is. Hugs!
 
Gail, I read something very interesting in this mornings paper and I thought I'd pass it by you, just in case you hadn't read or heard of it! The article states that some people with Crohns would eat coconut macaroons or even coconut flakes to stop the diarrhea that is associated with Crohns disease, someone even had a dog who had terrible diarrhea and they gave the dog a few flakes of coconut daily and it helped their dog too!:shrug: Anyhoo, I thought of you right away when I read that! Have you ever heard of it?
 
Gail, we are both snails at this TKR malarky. But we have improved and continue to improve albeit slowly. See how your physio goes and if it improves your back pain. If not, at least you tried.
 
Thanks all! I will get there sooner or later! Yes Jacky I have heard of ALL the stuff thats "supposed" to help Crohns, but most of it is fantasy, sadly.

I hate this disease so much! This is the 2nd day I have woke up really ill. Yesterday was up from 2 am on running to the loo. Felt so much better lastnight, then bam at 3 am this morning it all starts again. Plus I have a headache, and just feel blech. Just gonna try to rest again and hope things improve soon. Hugs!
 
Sorry, you are feeling bad. Crohn's is a misery. And I'm guessing little stressors like TKR can set it off. I'm thinking of you and wishing you well. :puppysmooze:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom