TKR Nanners adventure to the other side

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gail,
You know what the one thing I have realized about our new knees? They have a mind of their own and hold all sorts of surprises for us. That is why this board is a treasure! There's always someone we can learn from, who shares advice, and talks us off the cliff. I still get that weird sensation, that is very localized, on the outside of my knee cap. I keep reading and reading and tonight I thought that I found someone else who had the same thing. I read Howard's < hbark > reply to irish, and thought that he, too, had the same hurt. As I read his post, I found that he overdid walking. I'll keep reading and one of these days I'll figure it out.
Take care, my friend. The heating pad is our friend....although I did ice tonight. :rotfl:
 
Well yesterday was a busy day for me. We walked two grocery stores, then took Flea to the park to run a bit, and I walked around the park. Knee was fatigued afterwards, but held up well in the walks. I also finally got to ice my knee some. It had been so cold that I didn't want to ice the knee at all. So I think that helped to quiet things down too. I had some pain for a couple of days, but seems to be getting better now. Hope you all our doing well too!
 
Nyland we have same surgery date? I too have the side weirdness..plus if I walk much, I still swell some and tighen up. Even still soooooo much better than a few months ago.... :)
Hey Nanners---- long time no see...haha hope you ate doing well too
 
Hi Nanners
I'm in Long Beach,CA so can relate to the "cold snap" we've had. Both my knees have been hurting alot and I wondered about the cold doing it. My OS says it will cause more pain when it's cold like that, or the barometer change. But today it was much warmer and both knees are really hurting, especially the non operative one. Not sure I can wait until June to have it replaced! So how did little Flea like the cold? My Sophie won't go out in it! She puts her face out the slide and just backs right up if it's cold! No carpet in my house either and the kitchen tile sure is miserable to stand on in the mornings.
I have to admit that I am disappointed when I read about the swelling "we" are getting in our new knees months after the surgery. A couple weeks ago I over did it and my leg got huge that night. it is just now getting back to normal.
 
I had hoped the cold causing issues would end after surgery since they were no longer arthritic and no longer my bones there but the cold still affects my knee. Take a hot bath. It helps a ton!
 
Shelly I use a heating pad, and in no time once it is warm it stopped hurting. But....I have walked alot the past two days, and Miss Knee is not really happy with it. I am pretty sore and stiff today. And...my guts are not happy today either, so might have some inflammation going on. So I think today might be one of those lazy days at home.

Brownie, Flea just LOVES to go outside, cold or not. He is an indoor dog anyways and sleeps in his crate at night. I have a few thick towels inside for him, and then the crate is wrapped with two blankets. He is a little dog and I was so afraid he would get sick, but he did just fine. He's taking a nap on my hubby's lap right now. LOL
 
Gran17, I can tell you I am 4.5 mos out, and I still get stiff and sore after walking. I guess its about 6 mos or more out before than eases up. Or at least thats what I heard. We missed you! Hugs!
 
Well Nanners I am getting close to 6 months..In fact 5 days from now...My knee still gets tricky on me. Right when u think its healed it lets ya know, not yet.....I try to be careful with it... missed you all too. Caught all caught up in the Holidays and all that plus my back is flaring up again...oh we'll, it's still "A wonderful life " ........Sweet hubbie got me an electric throw and it sure feels good..We have really been in a cold snap...
 
Hi Nanners! I have noticed that the cold seems to make me ache more and get stiffer. I thought that would end after the surgery. My left knee done in 1995 and cold does not bother it. My right knee recovery is not as good as what I can remember of my left knee recovery, of course it was 18 years ago and maybe I just forgot! I had that surgery in the summer and maybe by winter it was healed enough not to be bothered by the cold. Moist heat helps a lot. I have a microwave neck thing from beauticontrol that I have had for years, it hugs my knee just right.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Nanners adventure to the other side
It's amazing how time erases our memory of pain and misery. Guess it's a good thing or there are lot of things we'd never do again for any reason.
 
Gail, sounds like things are going well knee-wise! Two grocery stores and a walk in the park with Flea. Pretty soon you can take him and walk on the beach with hubby! :kittykiss: :cheers:
 
My hubby named him Brownie! The other day he said we should have called him guapo (handsome in spanish). But I think Flea fits him to a tee.

Lisa, I did do all that, but rest assured, I paid for it the next day. Hugs!
 
Gail, One of the things I am learning with this is you try something that is a little more than what you have done, and you either pay for it or it is OK. If you pay for it, you back off for a few days, or a week, and then try again. It is like groping around in a dark room! But we keep moving forward! Hugs, my friend! Hug to Flea too! :kittykiss: :puppysmooze: :friends:
 
Exactly! I think I try to save most stuff for the weekends. I know hubby gets tired of staying in with me all the time, so if I can get out every so often with him, the better. But I will do okay for a day or two, then have to stop and rest again. It sucks having chronic illnesses and trying to rehab a knee at the same time. I swear if its not one thing lately, its another. Was helping hubby re-make the bed this morning, and now my back hurts. Nothing ever comes easy, but as you said we have to keep moving forward. Hugs back to you!
 
Dang hips are really ruining my sleep. Been up since about 4 am today becuz my hips hurt so much. Its like a nerve pain, youchy!! Once again, one step forward, two steps back. Oh well, I will live. LOL

This recovery is so wierd..........one day is great and the next not. Sigh!
 
I'm sorry your hips are hurting. Maybe it is all the walking? Mine are a little achy too. But it got down to 20 degrees here today and my knee really felt that. The cold has not bothered me up until today. Did not help that I ran out of Aleve either. Hugs! :kittykiss: :puppysmooze:
 
Lisa you are probably more than right, I am sure it is the walking. I try really hard to do the heel to toe thing, and that could be aggravating my hips some and as I tire, I catch myself limping. But hubby keeps asking when we are out, if I want to use the electric chairs, and I say no, as I need to get this walking thing going.

I told hubby I want to try walking with Flea at the beach, I did tell him I probably won't get far, but I want to at least try a little. I am sure within time I can increase the distance. But as I do more, I have to deal with more stiffness and achiness. I really should use the cane, I am sure that would help my gait. But hate the old lady feel of it. lol

Go out and get you more Aleve! I soooo wish I could use meds like Advil or Aleve. I know they would help alot, but alas its a no go. And now I can't take Tylenol either as it irritates my gut. Hopefully I will be able to use it again one day. Hugs!
 
Gail, I know the more tired I get when I walk the more my gait degrades. I think that is so great that you are going to try walking on the beach! It does not matter how far you get, just that you do it. I am sure it will perk your spirits up and it will be fun to see what Flea does with the waves! Let me know how cute he is! Hugs back! :puppysmooze: :kittykiss:
 
Gail, I can't remember if I asked you if you can use any products that get absorbs systemically. Would that irritate your gut? I know we were at the big tent event yesterday and lots of vendors were trying to get us to buy their products and one of them the lady really rubbed her product on my hand and my upper back and Dave too. It gets real warm and she talked how it is absorbed systemically. But we didn't want to buy it but did walk around and we thought it made a difference, but only lasted an hour or so. So we didn't buy, besides, it really stinks. It was an all natural product.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom