TKR Nanners adventure to the other side

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will be praying for everyone in the path of the hurricane! How is everyone after the 7.7 earthquake in Canada? Praying for you as we'll!
 
I don't mind that the PT gets after me. It is his job to challenge me and push me and I would rather he did that than the opposite. Yes, sometimes it makes me feel inadequate but I get over it. Most people, myself included, need to be pushed to trust the knee and that she can do things that you might think she can't. I know some of the things they asked me to do in PT, I would point blank say "I'm scared" but they held my hand (literally) or held onto me or gave me something to hold onto, and I did whatever it was, and I would say to myself, "wow I can do that!".
This is a great point about PT. When you get a good one they know when to urge you past your comfort zone without pushing you too hard. Also a good one knows how to listen to your concerns/fears. The thing I found the most useful when I was in the home PT stage was her working on the basement stairs with me. I was scared to try them by myself and she coached me through it and sure enough I could do it.
 
I think the same thing about my good therapist. She gave me courage to get on the floor and be able to get back up again. Once I did it, now there is no stopping me. Can't wait for my little Eli to come and play, grandma can get on the floor and play now. Grandpa won't have all the fun.
 
YEAAA Debbie. Isn't is wonderful to be able to get on the floor again!! You're grandbaby will love it that !! And so will you! :)
 
Well as you know, it has been a battle of the wills with Katie, but I could not have gotten this far without her! We have been called "sisters" by some of the patients, but Katie never let's me give up! Some days I just feel like staying in bed, but I know if I did what would lie in store for me when I returned! :happydance:
 
Really had to laugh though as you described your male therapist that he "awakens" something in you. Now that is the guy you need to do the leg massage. Then you can keep telling him to go a little higher, a little higher and so on.......
Debbie,

Every time I turn around you are encouraging naughty deeds! :rotfl: First with the Viagra, then the internal ultrasound, and now .... Hmmm. And I am sitting quietly in the background wondering what a SHY girl like myself is seeing out of you! :wink:
Debbie_joints
 
Ha ha Sonja, that is me, naughty minded Debbie here. But Jacky is just as bad. Like I said before, those that aren't getting it have to talk about it...:sigh:... But there is hope, the old guy was actually talking about it. But then I looked at him and all the marks on his arms and face where the dermatologist burned him were kind of oozing and kind of made me think twice...LOL I can wait another week.......
 
Sonja, Debbie, Jacky,

I will take all the naughty deeds I can get. I could almost qualify as a practicing nun. Debbie, can I borrow your husband, I don't mind a little oozing! :dancy: :happydance: :egypdance: :yay: :loll:
 
OMG Elanor, I about pee'd my pants as I laughed so hard when I read that you wanted to borrow my husband. I will let him know. You are hilarious. :rofsign:
 
Debbie, Well turn about is fair play as you have had me peeing my pants too. Who knows he might like Virginia. LOL!
 
Ha ha Sonja, that is me, naughty minded Debbie here. But Jacky is just as bad. Like I said before, those that aren't getting it have to talk about it...:sigh:... But there is hope, the old guy was actually talking about it. But then I looked at him and all the marks on his arms and face where the dermatologist burned him were kind of oozing and kind of made me think twice...LOL I can wait another week.......

Well as you know...... I am verrrrrryyyyyy shy, so my face turns red when I read those posts! I am a quiet person and live a very quiet life! :angel:

And blaming my twin Sista! How sad Debbie! She is my sister from another Mother and Father! :rotfl:
 
At first I was wondering...now who is Virginia????? Sonja, you keep trying to convince us that you are shy and I for one ain't buying it.
 
First off Debbie, oh my goodness!! LOL And shy Sonja, I have been doing just that to help my extension. Got some of those ankle weights yesterday. I have so far been able to do it for 5 minutes at a time. Lisa I wish I would stop swelling! I think I am only a short time behind you, but doing anything and this dang knee swells. Whenever we go out, I take one of my big cold packs to keep icing it. But of course, you know you can't really elevate in a car or truck.

My butt is killing me though, from working on my extensions. I guess those weights are helping:) I'll just get my personal home therapist (aka hubby) to rub my butt for me. I mean who else could you ask to rub your butt, except your spouse. And if he rubs my knee, I can tell him higher, higher....without any guilt. Hahaha.

Nyland, good to know I am not the only one battling the dang extension. I can even feel my bend improving, cuz knee is going back a little more all the time. But dang extension is being difficult! Hugs!
 
Gail,
I'm battling the extension too. Just takes time but I think the pool is helping me. Patience as you say.
 
Oh by the way, I really like my therapist Patty. She is a good one who doesn't hurt you. Are you guys really sore and achey the day after your PT? My knee protests alot the next day and swells and gets soooo stiff. Maybe its more for me, becuz I am late starter. Plus having fibromyalgia that likes to join the party too. But that mainly is felt in my back etc. Hugs!
 
What helps mine alot is a weighted heating pad used the first time I went to PT. I think I am going to talk to Patty and see if we can do that for a bit too. At night, I ice and elevate, but also put a heating pad underneath my knee and that helps too.

Oh and I saw above someone was saying they only lost 10 pounds. After going thru that 4 weeks of hades with my guts after my TKR, I only lost 11 lbs. Thank goodness that I had my cushion weight on before the surgery. Many Crohnies in good times will try to keep a little extra lbs on them, as when we get sick the weight just falls off us. I actually come from an extremely obese family, I am the skinny one of the bunch. I guess thats one plus for having Crohns (or is it?)!
 
Gail,

It is hard to describe how my knee feels. PT and exercise typically leaves the knee feeling better, and it feels the best when I get out of the pool. It feels the best in the mornings up until around 2 PM and then it is stiffer and feels like there is a tight band around it. It feels like that whether I am having a rest day or a day of activity, so I don't really know what that means. When I walk, the pain does not increase, decreases a little, but certain muscles fatigue very quickly, and my other knee will hurt and so that impairs my ability to walk too. My weight is a big factor with things too. When I found out I would be needing a knee replacement, which was 22 months ago I weighed 340. Over that 20 months I lost 30 pounds and went into the surgery at 310. Since the surgery I have lost another 20 pounds and am down to 290. But I don't think it is enough weight loss to really help the walking on my other knee yet. My goal is to extend my pool walking to at least 60 minutes and hope I can continue to lose weight and eventually hope that I will then be able to walk on land for some distance. Eventually I hope to return to the two activities I love most: hiking and horse back riding but I will probably have to have the other knee replaced before I can hike much, and I know I need to lose a lot more weight as I do have some arthritis in my hips. I get really depressed about the walking part as I had hoped it would be doing better by now (like Debbie doing 2 miles, I am so jealous), but my walking ability was incredibly compromised prior to the surgery and I had so much referred pain in my hips and back as well as certain muscle groups being very weak that I suspect it will just take a lot longer on my part to get the walking better. Just have to keep practicing it!
 
Lisa, my "other" knee was giving me so much grief, that at my 6 week OS appt I asked him to give me a cortisone shot in it. Been much better since. Yeah, I was so jealous hearing Debbie does two miles. I can't walk too far, I just get so fatigued and my tkr knee protests alot. I still have fair amount of pain in the evenings. I still have to take a whole pain pill at bedtime, it at least gets me thru the night. I am sure that 4 weeks being so sick really wore me down, and its just gonna take awhile to rebuild my strength. But I do keep trying to push myself. I can only do what I can do:) Hugs!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom