TKR Nana Moon's Shiny New Second Knee

Hi @Angel1978

I've had a few hours sleep. I've had to rest today because I'd well overdone it with the PT in the stairs. I was awake most of night she'd been. I could not get pain under control. However, today I've iced, rested, pottered and slept. I'm walking better on the crutches. I'm feeling so hopeful and positive xxx

I'm glad you're getting on bit by bit. Yes it's slow but hey..all we got is time on our hands x

Love Nana moon 27 xxx
 
I tell ya I have so much time. I don't know what to do with self. I'm not crafty so I don't know what to do.

So I just set around lay around walk some around. 3 months I tell you fils like the beginning: but this revision been hard.


I am glad your doing the steps. I hated steps. But it's part of recovery. I think down is easier then up. But I dreaded it.

I hate that you could not get your pain under control. Pain sucks. My Meds does good for me.

We all have one another to lean on...


FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015
 
I've had to rest today because I'd well overdone it with the PT in the stairs.
Ann, here's a suggestion on the stairs. This early, it's tough to go up and down facing forward. That is very hard on your tender knee. Instead, stand sideways with both hands on the railing and go up and down one step at a time that way. This exercise is a lot more gentle on your new knee.

Then when your pain is well controlled, do this pre-stair exercise. Stand with both feet on one stair tread and hold onto the railing facing down the stairs. Gently lower your good knee and bend your TKR knee like you're going to take a step, but don't touch the lower stair tread. Just bend until you feel slight discomfort, then move your foot back up beside your stationary foot. Do this no more than 10 times in a day....less if you feel pain. Work up to the 10. Once you can do this bend fairly well, then do the exercise but allow yourself to toe-touch the lower tread, then go back up. Once you get to where you can toe touch the lower tread 10 times without pain and swelling following the exercise, you are ready to slowly work on the foot over foot stair descent.

Taking it slowly and progressing through these movements will be a lot easier on your knee and you should not have as much pain and swelling as if you immediately try to do stairs normally. Your knee just is not ready for that yet.
 
Thank you @Jamie

The best thing about this knee being done this time is the fact that I've hardly any swelling this time. The last time with my very first TKR that leg was three times the size of the unoperated one. This time there's not a lot of difference in size but the stiffness is worse as is the rom. This will improve I have to be patient.

Thank you for your advice re the stairs. My physio didn't know how I'd managed them the first time around. I shall tell her what happened though after that session. I know I have to push to the point of uncomfortable but not to the state I'd got into. My walk is improving daily.

Catch you soon
Love Nana Moon xxx
 
Hi @Angel1978

Why don't you have a little try at something simple craft wise. I know you say you are not that way inclined but you might surprise yourself. A glass jar can be made into a lovely pencil pot, all you need is some pva glue and something pretty to stick on to it. You could make each of your kids just something small and they would love that, even a decorated small box to put their bits and pieces in.

To be honest @dogwheels encouraged me into craft, when I was going through a particularly tricky patch with the depression. I used to do craft in my job when I was working with children. Anyway on the internet are so many good ideas.it is very relaxing. You just do a bit at a time so it's a pleasure not a pressure. I made cards and more recently I decorated a coffee jar and filled it with sweets for my mom, she was thrilled xxx

It helps take your mind off pain and focus the energy into something more worthwhile.

Take care
Love Nana moon 27 xxx
 
Hi Ann. I'm so glad to her that things are going 'as well as can be expected'! Feeling so hopeful and positive - fantastic! That's great news.
 
Hi @Judlepip apart from the night before last, I've even started sleeping. This has only happened since I had my TKR and finally the OS took it into his own hands to treat my restless legs. I'm sure that's another part of why I'm feeling better xxx nothing like sleep even if it's just a few hours xxx
 
Hi Nana I hope your weekend was good. I hope you had lots of rest and pampering. Xxx

I try to do a jar and glue. Lol was not happening Agervates me. Maybe can find me a craft. These hands wrists kill me. (Huggs)




FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015
 
Angel you could have a look on the craft thread in the social room on here. If not, google what can I make with an empty coffee jar xx
 
Have you ever tried to draw? Take a pad of paper and pencil and copy a favorite photo. Takes loads of time and you forget about everything else. Would that be easy enough on your sore wrists? Every so often I see my drawing pad, really should try to try it again. Better than watching TV or reading/shopping online all the time!
 
Hi @KYata

I might just give that a shot myself. No doubt mine will resemble a five yr olds attempt but a good distraction. I have a chair in the kitchen extension and there are two beautiful Acer trees draping over the garden pond. Ooh you've started something now :heehee:

@Angel1978 what's up with your hands/wrists then? I hope you are okay?

I've had restless night again I can't seem to get comfy properly on this recliner. Don't know why not? Pain not too bad today again. It's bearable/uncomfortable. That's normal when you read what they do to fit these new knees. I'm way too squeamish to watch the footage on YouTube. :holysheep:

Please take care
Love Nana moon 27 xxx
 
Hi @Poppet

I just read the article on rls. I can most likely improve this by reducing the amount of tea I drink. I drink way too much tea xx I do drink a fair bit of water but definitely tea is in excess. Thank you very much for this, please take care love Nana moon 27 xxx
 
Hi Ann, do you like herbal teas?
 
Have carpal tunnel really bad in both hands.

I am glad your pain is tolerable. Sorry your not resting.

Pain and day to day is unpredictable.
Huggs xxxx hope you have good day.

FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015
 
It dawned on me today that my staples have been in for 16 days. Then I thought that's not right. I found the hospital bag with the District nurse letter and she should have been here on the 12th. The problem is that the skin starts to grow over the staples and makes it very hard for them to be removed, never mind uncomfortable.

I phoned the ward, they don't know how it's happened but no ones been sent out. I said I've got the letter for the district nurse here that I've opened and it says she should have been here last Friday. Anyway the next thing I know the nurses are coming out between now and 6pm xx

I've been saying for days they're really itching and irritating me (the staples) xxx
 
You're very lucky to have a district nurse that will take your staples out, I've got to make my way to the surgery on Friday!! I believe that all the services provided by District Nurses in Wiltshire are contracted out and they have a very strict criteria of who is entitled to receive them, unfortunately, l do not fall into that criteria so have to have my staples taken out at the GP surgery this coming Friday. Always seems to me that staples are left in for so long that the skin becomes tender and sore. Mine would have been in for 15 days by the time they're removed.
Good luck for the removal of your staples, hope it's not uncomfortable for you.
 
Getting staples out was the most painful part of the process for me until my lower back started bothering me two weeks ago.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Back
Top Bottom