TKR Nana Moon's Shiny New Second Knee

Hi @Jamie

It's being fitted this Thursday afternoon. So excited. Literally another step forward. Once again thank you xxx
 
@Jamie I managed three stairs today holding on with both hands to the lower rail on the curve of the stairs. I turned around to come back down leading with the operated leg at a side angle. My daughter was thrilled so was I. The main long handrail will be fitted on Thursday afternoon, it's going to help so very much.

Hi all. The nurse came first thing and removed all the staples...yaaay x x x oh the relief was immense. No more itching x the knee is not pulling quite so much either.

Anyway my daughter decided to visit, she'd bought some shopping and offered to wash my hair....fantastic. Then she said come on mom I'll put your high back chair on the back patio and we will sit in the sun for half an hour. I said I couldn't get down the patio step. She said that I'd just managed three stairs and was sure that I could get out there. So again gripping on to the door handle and one stick, on the patio, I went down sideways. It was a struggle getting the operated leg out as the bend is still minimal but I did it. She dried and straightened my hair outside in the sun.

She suggested after that we came in and she'd do us some lunch. That was lovely. I used the crutch and the door handle again and in I went. Admittedly she was holding my arm for support. The main thing is I did it! She told me that once I'd eaten lunch I should just relax so that's what I'm doing and it's rather nice.

Have a great day, evening
Love Ann x x x x
 
Anne, so pleased to see your latest post. Sounds as if you're now making the progress you craved. Pleased the staples are out. Hope you enjoy your relaxation. Keep up the good work.
 
That's wonderful, Ann!!! What an accomplishment. I'm sure the time outside was a huge boost for you.

When you're doing stairs, you are putting your latest TKR leg down first to the lower step and then putting your good leg down on that step with it, right? The little saying we use with steps is:

Down with the bad. Up with the good.

This means you're not actually doing the steps in the normal way, foot over foot. You are taking one step at a time, either facing forward or sideways. When going up you lead with the good leg and when going down you lead with the TKR leg. Doing stairs one step at a time means you never really have to bend your new TKR much at all.

Here's a video that show what my words are trying to explain. You can use this single step method either facing forward like in the video or sideways with both hands firmly on the railing for support.
 
Thanks very much @Jamie yes I am doing the toddler stair step as I call it. The video is great! Is that in the library? X
 
I just read thru this post and I am so happy for you - you seem to be in a much better place both physically & mentally. You've been thru a lot and I'm hoping this is a new beginning for you. Take care & be careful!
 
Ah thank you so much @dtmbf Yes you are right, physically and mentally I'm stronger than I've been for a very long time. I've a few issues with this knee but each day seems to being a new surprise to me. That's a real feel good factor. To be honest I actually feel like I'm rebuilding something I'd lost. Sounds crazy but it's true. I think that being out of the constant bone pain from the left was the worst part. My RTKR aches quite a bit but it's doing the job it should be doing since recovery from the revision.

I think this is going to be a slow recovery my OS has warned me but I'm not worrying about that. I'm taking each day as it comes. I've got the physio coming again tomorrow, then the new hand rail and grab rails are being fitted on Thursday afternoon to the stairs. Hey I might even be able to go to bed and get really comfy. This recliner downstairs is ok but sleeping is a little bit awkward.

Anyway I'm going to pop across to your thread as I noticed you had a RTKR done on the 18th May xxx

Really is lovely to hear from you.

Love Nana moon 27 x
 
You're making real progress, Ann. :yes!::SUNsmile::happydance::yay:
So glad to hear that you managed some steps. Your daughter had the right idea and I'm sure her presence helped your confidence, too.
 
Thanks @Celle

The other thing that's better this time, is my confidence. Both daughters are amazed at how I am getting on with it.

I think previous experience has helped. Also, sheer determination to work towards getting back to a normal life.

Being downstairs on a recliner was the right move. I've not been so isolated.

I have to go now, got my home physio coming this morning!!! I will post later as to how I get on!!!

Catch you later
Love Nana moon 27 x
 
The PT came very late this afternoon. I wore shorts so she could see my leg properly. She said my walking on the crutches is improving. A really good breakthrough occurred too. I have to sit in my proper high backed arm chair for my leg exercises. One of my issues has been the leg lift. This afternoon I lifted my foot up a few inches more. She raised my leg, by the back of the ankle, until it was nearly in line with my knee. She told me to squeeze the quad, she lowered my ankle a touch, moved her hand and my leg remained raised! She got me to lower it and then bend it down. That's when the pain struck. We waited for that to go and then she said see if you can raise that leg. Oh wow I did it, she had me count to 5. We did this about three or four times but then that white hot pain started behind my kneecap into the joint. Again we waited and chatted waiting for this to ease off. She asked me to stand straight holding my crutches. This I did and I was fine. She got me to lean against the sink, holding it, switching my weight from one side to the other. Then still holding in did several knee lifts. She got me to do them alternately to strengthen up my new TKR. I'd already told her what had happened after the stairs exercise the other day where we overdid it. She said no stairs today. She is coming next Tuesday for that. The new handrail gets fitted tomorrow. I will be carefully practising. The leg lift seated has given me immense peace of mind. It shows that when we begin to heal, these things will come in time. Before she left, she advised me to elevate and ice pack my knee straight away. I did this and so far so good. She told me to rest easy and walk about each time I go to the loo and rest it again.

Btw the Doctor Jo advice on stairs is brilliant. She has such a lovely bubbly personality. It's one @Jamie left a few posts back. So fab x x x

Things are looking up :fingersx::prayer: X X X
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I am so very pleased for you that you are doing well both physically and emotionally. Hugs to you
 
"she had me count to five"

Don't forget Libraylyn's counting:

one .. two ... nineteen ... twenty !! LOL
 
Hello my friend.
I'm glad your doing better both ways. I know knee replace was a emotional roller coaster for me. And mental one to for many reasons. But after we get to the point where we know we can. It gets easier.

I hope your doing well. I'm pleased to know your pt is good with you.
This particular pt I has this second go around. She was very helpful to me. I think it makes recovery easy,when we know we can trust them. And we still remained friends. Was cool she was going on cruise and sent me some pics of outfits ask my advice. And a few of ones she bought off line. She was real nice we became close.

It makes it so much easier when we are encouraged by some one. I tell you when I get around people I have a sense. One pt was a but when one could not come and I told on her.
Enough about me...

You have posted you have a garden? What is good in it. I know it's off topic. It's nice to enjoy something during this time. So much makes us all sad.

Great on the steps. I watched the video my self. I see it helps. Baby steps is good. I'm glad that your proud of the progress. Make a world of difference when we put and keep confidence in our self. It's alsways hard when we try. Can't do it. Get so upset. Let our mind stop. Forget about what we doing get behind. And then need a boooooost of confidence to do it again. Me guilty.

Do you have a lot of steps? I hate that it's so painful. I wish the recovery would be easier. But I'm glad it's getting easier each day.
It's a hard recovery. Especially when we gave complications. And we get so depressed.

I wish you the best luck in recovery. Xxxx


FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015
 
Thanks Angel

I appreciate your support. Meds have finally kicked in and now I must sleep. Otherwise I start typing random stuff out of my head xxx
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom