TKR Nana Moon's Shiny New Second Knee

Everyone is braver than me. Ouch ouch staples lol. I had glue. Made it easier on me. Xxxxx glad there helping.


FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015
 
It's strange here in Birmingham. The first hospital that was very near to my home, made me go up to our surgery to have the staples removed. Then, I changed hospitals when the revision became necessary and I ended up with a home district nurse. Quite frankly I was gobsmacked. This same hospital that has now done my new RTKR only discharged me because I'd arranged all facilities downstairs this time. They could not discharge me because I was unable to go up and down a flight of steps. It took more than five minutes to get up one. They discharged me with a physiotherapy package, where a physio comes to your house once or twice a week according to need. They agreed to this because I now have a downstairs toilet and wash hand basin. Then my sis law loaned me her recliner, so I didn't have to do my stairs until I'm able to.

I can walk around on two crutches fairly well, I've a chair in the kitchen extension that I can watch my garden while I'm doing the slides. I have an appointment with the OS on 7/7/2015. My rom isn't great but at least I can get about. Patience, slow and steady will win xxx the PT got me up several stairs the other day, the problem was turning on the stairs to come down leading with the TKR. Oh it hurt. Then it settled. However about 7pm on the night, the burning pain started, I iced elevated, took all meds nothing would work. Today I'm better as I've done all the gentler exercises and I will attempt the stair one when hubby gets here. I have to have help with that one x

I'm very very hopeful this time around that although this is a very slow start it may have a better finish!! No bone pain is nice and a massive relief. The surgical pain will go eventually xxx

Love Nana moon 27 xxx
 
Don't forget you can back down the stairs if necessary. Decidedly inelegant, but it can work.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Hi Ann just checking in. Staples really don't hurt much it's like a staple remover. Maybe a tiny pinch here and there but ohh the relief when they're out. Glad to read that you're doing so much better this time around. Guess practice makes perfect. Good luck with those stairs. I'm trying to do them at work every day but never remember which leg goes first, then I remember surgical knee first then hip leg, one suggestion if you haven't gotten hand rails yet, see if you can put one on side of stair case on the wall so when u start your climb you have something to grasp. Good luck with everything. Off to see surgeon for a hip check can't believe it's been 5 years. Daughter coming in for week with her pooch. Can't stay with me staying with step daughter. Bf doing great! Lost 70 lbs and no more oxygen. Just bipap machine for sleeping
Feel good slow and steady. So proud of you
❤️❤️❤️❤️susanne


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
Rt hip resurfacing 2007
Rt hip revision 2010
Rt shoulder replacement
LTKR 2014
 
Yes I used to do that preoperatively @PolarBear60 it was great. The problem is at the moment although I can walk, pick something up off the floor carefully. I still can't do a leg raise with the new LTKR. I've been told not to worry, it may just be a slow recovery. From seated I can raised my foot approx 2/3" (inches) hence the stair problem. I'm not letting it worry me yet. There's very little in the way of swelling or bruising which is fabulous compared to my previous TKR.

Love Nana moon 27 xxx
 
It will come. So frustrating while you wait and struggle, though.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Ah @susanne thank you x x I'm definitely doing better in myself this time around, if a little slower but hey such is life!! X

I'm having a hand rail the length of the stairs fitted this Thursday by Adult Community Services and two grab rails either side at the bottom. That will be an immense help. I'm just so grateful to my physio for contacting them for me. I was very taken aback that I'd even qualify for something like that. This is the big difference with this hospital to the first. Having a home physio come in and assess you home makes a big difference. If that had happened first time I'm sure things might have been easier. She said she did not know how on earth I'd managed the first TKR, with the stairs as they are.

Popping over to your thread now xxx
 
Staple removal just felt like a tug to me. It didn't hurt, but I didn't watch when they were removed.

The rails sound much needed and will make all the difference to you to make you more sure in your mobility regarding the stairs!
 
Hi @tigz
Thank you for your reassurance. It's nice to have. It's just that with my first TKR I had the staples out in a reasonable time frame and it was no problem. After the revision they were left a little longer than they should have been and when she came to take them out, unfortunately the skin had begun to grow over a few, so needless to say they were sore. I've had to take pain relief meds this afternoon anyway as part of the routine of the day, so if any are sore it won't be so bad.

I'm hoping it will help,the rom a bit as well once they're out. Can't wait. It's like the last thing removed and then we enter proper recovery mode x x x

Love Nana moon 27 xxx
 
We've got handrails on our staircase, absolute god send, must admit l still get a little anxious when going up and down stairs as my hubby tends to polish the wood which makes them slippery!!
Really hope the staples removal doesn't cause too much discomfort. Will keep checking your thread to see how you're doing.
 
Good luck Ann, I'm sure it won't be so bad. I started healing really quickly with my second knee, so when I had my staples out some of mine were a bit buried, but it was honestly fine. It is such a relief to have them out, as you say, the real recovery can start then. Thinking of you xxx
 
Ann, has anyone advised you to try stairs one foot at a time using your first TKR leg for the step up or down? It would seem to me this is how you should be doing stairs right now, not the "regular" way that involves your newest knee. Since you can stand okay on your new knee, this would allow you to go up and down any stairway slowly once you have a railing to hold on to.
 
Unfortunately @Jamie, yes I can get up a stair with my good knee. The problem is the lack of bend makes it nigh on impossible to come down using the new TKR first. There may be more things I can try once that handrails fitted. Your suggestion is the one I will try first. Thank you.

Problem is sleeping downstairs, it doesn't feel like bedtime. Usually hubby's still watching tv til whatever time and that in itself I find stressful. So yes, I want to master those stairs ASAP x

I'm still feeling very positive inside about the recovery this time. It's a nice feeling x x x
 
Good luck getting your staples out. I hope it is not too bad and that afterwards it will help with ROM. Although having said that I don't know how they are connected. Lots of hugs!
 
I think it's the fact that the tightness kind of goes off it that's all @kate23. One of those things that make you feel happier they've gone. Still waiting. They said anytime up to 6pm xx
 
I'd say they're not coming. Never mind. Nothing I can do until the morning xxx
 
:(


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Hi @Nana moon 27 Hope the staples removal goes well and is pain free. Shame the nurse did not come today.

You appear to be doing very well this time around and sound really positive about it all. That's good to hear.

Soon this will all fade and be a distant memory and you will have two wonderful safe, pain free new knees that will take you wherever you want to go.
 
Hi hope this knee goes well glad it's all over, ime having the mua on Friday 26th June, xxm
 
Unfortunately @Jamie, yes I can get up a stair with my good knee. The problem is the lack of bend makes it nigh on impossible to come down using the new TKR first. There may be more things I can try once that handrails fitted. Your suggestion is the one I will try first. Thank you.

Problem is sleeping downstairs, it doesn't feel like bedtime. Usually hubby's still watching tv til whatever time and that in itself I find stressful. So yes, I want to master those stairs ASAP x

I'm still feeling very positive inside about the recovery this time. It's a nice feeling x x x
I think you'll find the sideways up and down fairly easy to master. It takes a lot less quad strength. Just be sure ot keep both hands on the railing. Hope you get your new rail soon.
 
Back
Top Bottom