Guest viewing is limited

TKR Nana Moon's Shiny New Second Knee

I've a lovely pair of loose slipper socks the hospital gave every patient. I went to give them back to the nurse as I left and she said they just get thrown away!!! What a waste. So frugal me brought mine home. They've been a godsend. They're a lovely red with white rubber bits all around the foot area. Therefore if they twist you can still walk safely.

Just discovered I can peg washing out. I put several items of washing round my neck and shoulders. Used two crutches to get into back yard and down those awful steps into where the line is. It was a balancing act but I did it. Then I got some twine and tied back some very unruly margaritas and clematis. I got back in shaking like a leaf. Put another load on and I'm now exhausted. That energy drain is still there along with the uncomfortable knee. Hubby's back now. He said I've done more than enough. So I'm sitting elevating.
 
My goodness, I feel so lazy compared to you. I have been debating going outside and doing a bit of weeding from the comfort of a chair. Hanging out laundry would not have crossed my mind. It's you over-achievers that make the rest of us look bad. :bow:You go, girl! Your husband is a lucky man.
 
Don't be fooled by me @Slainte...I'm a regular visitor to the ODIC (Over Did It Club). Also I had my surgery at the end of May, yours is very recent, although technically mine is still in it's infancy as @Celle reminded me earlier. It's very early for you. My garden ha never had so many weeds and windflowers but one year is not going to hurt. I'm going to try and get my second eldest grandson to work his magic on it like he did before. He is working in a school training as an apprentice sports teacher. He is 18. He did a fantastic jobs of the lawns and tidying before. I do pay him although it's a fight to get him to take the money!

I learnt from my first TKR, the hard way about comparing myself to others and the regular visits to the ODIC! My recovery is a bit slow though. My figures were 45/0. Now they're 70/20. I'm having Hydrotherapy on the 11th August. Today's was cancelled due to a problem they found when doing a deep clean of the pool this week. I didn't want to know what.

I'm elevating, I'm over tired and finally the sun is out xxx
 
Ok confession is good for the soul.... ODIC and I'm paying for it. Yes five times up and down the garden pegging out washing, yes a bit of time tying back unruly plants. Not mentioned was at least 5 or 6 trips up and downstairs, cleaning the living room, stripping the bed. I ended up doing three lots of washing, so I used my sense. I put the liquid and the softener on top of the work surface above the washing machine. That saved extra trips up and down the length of the kitchen. Guess who got into trouble off hubby because someone had left all that clutter on the worktop...

I've iced, elevated. I think I may be reducing these meds down a bit too quickly but we will see xxx my knee and thigh hurt xxx uncomfortable enough to keep me awake xx

Take care
Love Nana moon 27 xx
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Ann turn it around what would you say to someone as soon after surgery as you, are and doing so much. Heed thine own words lass

Legin THR Sep 14
 
  • I'm only a few days behind you @Nana moon 27 and I'm still letting my hubby do the washing etc (mind you he did it before!!). I am always under strict instructions not to do anything, had an online grocery delivery yesterday, hubby went to play golf before the order arrived and l was told not to unpack the bags unless things needed to go,into the fridge etc! Slow down and relax!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @Nana moon 27, Ann yep you have been busy. Sometimes it is tough to not do too much as I have also visited the ODIC at some point and still do. Usually my body tells me when I have had it. So I do try to plan ahead in advance. You are moving around well. Take care and try not to do too much. Hang in there. Ice and pain meds oops and elevate. :loveshwr::loveshwr:
 
You know what ODIC means? A painful, tired knee the next day, so take it easy, enjoy your garden and just FOLD clothes (you can do that sitting). :bored:
 
Hi @Nana moon 27
Just catching up with your thread. Your rollercoaster seems to taunt and tease you - it lets you go a bit higher and better whoopee! then it slowly goes down and a bit further and further. It would do my head in being able to do things, but not able to do things.

I'm still on no weight bearing with plaster cast on my left foot. Post surgery (10th July) I did not anticipate the energy drain that I have got. I don't know why I thought this would be different? I went to bathroom, folded some washing, made a high protein lunch then exhausted, have to collapse. I still can't get up stairs at all which is tedious but hopefully for us there is an eventual end in sight.

How great Tywyn in August with g/kids! x
 
@CATSMUM unfortunately my hubbyS not doing very well at the moment. Remember he's had 18 months of a yukky recovery of mine and then another one the end of May. Of course he is fed up and irritable. I'm trying to help but I am more of a hinderance at times x
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to hear that, you've really had a hard time yourself too. Men can be so stubborn can't they.
 
Too right xx never mind. I do feel for him in some respects. I think he misses me, as in being able to walk distances and at a reasonable pace. He misses my being able, rushing around, laughing and joking and being a general live wire, larger than life character that I used to be. I've always worked and been the hub of the household. That's all changed. Tbh he had endured this since January 2014. He'd also endured years of my bone on bone pain too. I've gone from being a greyhound to a snail.

When he realised this was going to be yet another slow recovery, I think it hit him really hard. He/we were praying that this would be a straightforward recovery. This is part of the reason that I try to do normal stuff when I can. I totally overdid it yesterday because the house is a mess. I'm trying to make it look reasonable.

Ive not driven or been able to work for over 18 months. This is due to the strength of medication I'm on, that I am reducing slowly but surely.

My recovery is slow because the knee was in a terrible state, got weak quads and it had also had to compensate for the right knee, I ended up having replaced firstly. Then I had a revision. Eventually it worked. Yes it still aches from time to time. In general it feels like a normal knee. The revision was a success.

However, I tell myself every day is different. My daughter wasn't happy as I'd an appointment at the solicitors at 10.30. She was taking me. When I hobbled out to the car on two crutches she was so annoyed I'd overdone it. She can't help with the house right now. I told her I couldn't take much more of the state of the house. The frustration because my vacuum is huge and heavy meaning I can't vacuum is infuriating. It's not been done for three days.

So there is frustrated me and totally fed up him. A normal everyday couple.

On a brighter note we are off up to Wales. Most likely Sunday. It's our caravan neighbours 50th and I promised we'd go. We come back on the following weekend. I have appointments and then we are taking the grandchildren up there for 7-10 days xx

I've posted this so that anyone who finds or thanks that their husbands/partners appear to be acting a bit selfish, try looking at the situation through their eyes.

Please take care
Love Nana moon 27 xxx
 
Last edited by a moderator:
You and your family have been through so much with your knees. But you've seen from your RTKR that it is worth it in the end. You're very brave and your positivity is amazing :wow:
 
my vacuum is huge and heavy meaning I can't vacuum is infuriating. It's not been done for three days.
Three days, Ann? My goodness, I often don't vacuum for a week or more.
Don't forget that dust bunnies are your friends - they show that you have been resting properly.

By the way, vacuuming is a job that one of your teenage grandchildren could be doing for you. Use all the help you can get.
 
Ann,
I have an electric carpet sweeper (Shark), it is very light, picks up everything on top of the carpet. It makes it look nice.
 
I confess I don't vacuum for over a month on a too regular basis, and that's with seven cats in the house. I did get a little rechargeable Black and Decker hand held to vacuum the stairs with. Without that, the stairs would be a hazard. Regarding other chores, the secret to them is working at them a little at a time. I tend to spend more time agonizing over having to do them, and when I do them, it only takes a few minutes and little effort. The key, of course, is break them down into easily manageable tasks and not do too many of those tasks at one time.
 
Hi @Chihuahuan

Lovely to hear from you. I'm praying the early intervention (hydrotherapy) August I'm getting is going to do the trick. I'm more active and make myself do more, than I did the last. It's not making any difference but to me I'm keeping the joint mobile.

Could you pm me please. I'd like to ask you something.

Thank you x
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom