TKR Nana Moon's Shiny New Second Knee

Ha ha ha the Can Can. You were traumatised by that once when Dogwheels posted a video with some of our faces stuck on can can dancers heads!!! Oh @Legin I'd forgotten that!!

No I'm doing ok. I slept okish. Just feel wiped out again. My knee woke me up in pain a few times (not unbearable but uncomfortable) but remember I've reduced my pain meds by 20 mg this week and if I'm ok I'll drop another ten from Monday onwards. I'm in pain anyway, painkillers or not, so nows the time to wean off and go get this sorted by a proper pain management referral. It has to be done slowly. If it's too unbearable then I can knock it back up a notch.

Take care
Love Nana moon 27 xx
 
Hi @Nana moon 27 The can can was before my time - still you have got something to aim for!! You are going forward but your point about this recovery merging with the previous one is poignant. I was reading a post by Nana757 and I thought it was your post and she referred to her op being next week. I thought i had missed something dramatic that had happened to you! Thanks for your support it is always much appreciated! Be in touch! x
 
Hi Ann, @Nana moon 27
I'm just back from 10 days away and I've been catching up with your thread.

I'm pleased to see that your time away in Wales seems to have done you the world of good. Several improvements achieved, especially being able to walk around outside on your own! :yes!::yay::happydance:

I'm in pain anyway, painkillers or not, so nows the time to wean off and go get this sorted by a proper pain management referral. It has to be done slowly. If it's too unbearable then I can knock it back up a notch.
I think you're being very sensible and it's an excellent idea to ask for a referral to a a pain management team. Your knees have made you be on pain killers for so long that I think you're wise to seek help.
 
I'm doing okay. Thanks @Legin my new knee still is uncomfortable so I've not reduced meds down again any further yet. I dropped 20mg two weeks ago xxxThe drawback is that I'm feeling discomfort in my other knee. Silly things like the scar is sensitive but not on the scar itself, but the entire length next to the old scar. Crazy!

Lovely to hear from you xx
 
What a journey you're on! I'm amazed and humbled by your continual cheerfulness and positive attitude. You should be so proud of yourself. Hope the pain management referral helps, I shall be watching to see what happens.

My hubby was born in Birmingham and my work has their HQ there so it is somewhere I visit quite often. Did you have your ops at the Orthopaedic hospital in Northfield? My father in law had his hip done there and is due to get the other one done there soon.
 
Hi @Raffs

No I had mine done at Good Hope in Sutton. It's a 40 min drive from ours. It's a good hospital. I'm five mins drive from Solihull hospital, where I had my first knee done. I opted not to have the revision done there. I fell on the 2nd day because an over zealous PT wouldn't allow me to use a frame. He made me use crutches even though I repeatedly warned him that my left knee was almost gone and the quads were weak in it. It was not the hospital at fault but it was the negative experience with the PT that made me opt for Good Hope. Their physio team is fabulous and sensible.

I've arranged a date to take the three younger grandchildren on holiday in August up to our caravan in Wales. I'm so looking forward to that.

I hope your fil op goes well. It's a very good hospital apparently. I know a few people who've had their hips and knees done there very successfully xx

Take care
Love Nana moon 27 xxx
 
Wide awake, yet so tired. Both knees aching. The recent TKR is hot and bothered. I've iced and elevated. I've notice the scar and surrounding skin goes very purply at times. Especially when I've been on my feet a lot xx
 
Your latest TKR is still a baby, Ann. Remember to treat it gently and don't try to do too much.

I do hope that your grandchildren will be cued up to help you a lot in Wales and that you will have some other adult help with them. Otherwise, you could be taking on a bit too much.
Can I suggest some discussion with them and their parents before you go, and a list of daily chores be set for each grandchild?
 
I do keep forgetting. It's barely 8 weeks. @Celle, I've reduced pain meds another 10 ml to see how that goes for a week now. I think that because I've been in recovery so long with the other one it seems to have merged into one.

Thanks for your concern with the kids. The grandchildren I'm taking are 9. 10 and 14. They're not too bad for me as regards keeping stuff tidy round my house. They know the caravan routine very well. So it should be ok. Hubby will be there as I still cannot drive.

My daughters eyes were on stalks when the 9 year old took her plate and cup straight out into the kitchen. When she returned she asked her why she didn't do that at home. She looked her mom straight in the eye and said that I needed help because of my knee. The 14 yr old is a fantastic organiser and has this thing where everything has to be tidy and in order xxx


Love Nana moon 27 xxx
 
I promise. I can't let my legs get cold. I'm finding the knees hurt more if my legs or feet get cold. Weird xxx
 
I find the same thing about cold feet making my knee uncomfortable, especially at night. You would think that in July in Florida that would not be a problem, but last night I dug some wool socks out of my drawer and wore them all night. Really helped! And I think I like your granddaughter.
 
My scar also turned purple when I stood for a while and while I showered. That went away eventually, so no worries.
 
Grandkids are the best! I bet you will all have so much fun! I hope to have enough energy to have mine on Saturday. your story is inspiring.
 
Glad to hear that you are able to reduce your meds at this stage. Well done you! Enjoy your time away with the grandkids xx
 
You're right about the knees hurting more if they're cold, thought it was just me. :heehee:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom