Guest viewing is limited

TKR Nana Moon's Shiny New Second Knee

Thanks @Chihuahuan

You are right. They would not discharge me from hospital unless I accepted the home physio package. It was just so lucky I borrowed a recliner off sis in law and D had fitted the downstairs loo x the idea was for her to come and get me into using stairs, strengthening my knee, quad and leg raises. I still struggle to do one. I can't do a heel slide more than an inch. I can't bend the joint properly right now, yet she's insisted I have to do the stairs. I come down at a really weird angle and I'm convinced this is what upsets the knee. On the way up the TKR really aches although I'm leading with my good leg. I could have gone and stayed upstairs but the isolation is no good for me. I prefer being down here.
 
PT should not bully you or hurt you. Mine just would not take no for an answer. It was easier to try and comply xxx
 
You try to listen and compliance and made it worse on you. Not just emotionally but physically. I guess these bullie pt have to get there goal in lol. Don't let her do that to you again. I'm glad you got some sunshine on your face. I know you would like to be outside I am the same way. I stand for long and I swell. I hope you was able to get some rest. And I hope you can get more PT etc without being bullied and pushed around. Xxxx lots hugs.


FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Is there someone who is an intermediary between you and the PT department? If so give them a call when you are calm as this stress is the type of thing that sets off anxiety. The PT probably has been set goals for you and may be evaluated on getting you there. Perhaps that is the kind of conversation you need to have with her too.
One thing I was told in PT was that things may hurt for a short time but the pain should quickly go away. Are you taking your pain meds before PT? Should you take more after?
You need to figure out how to get through all of this and come out with an efficient knee.
 
Hello @Chihuahuan

I have come through a lot better today. I've not had to have any extra meds for pain last night or today. Just the normal amount. I'm going to speak to her directly on Tuesday when she comes. I think I do need a bit of a push b not to that kind of point. I think you are right I need to adjust my meds or perhaps take a breakthrough dose just before she comes as that would see me through after. Good idea. Thank you for making me think. Sometimes this is what I need.

I'm so positive about this recovery. I'm sure every thing is going to be okay it's just really slow. My family say that physically and mentally I'm like a different person this time around. It's because I know in my heart this was the last knee replacement op and this will lead me to a normal life, back to work and reality. My best friend called this afternoon. We used to work together before my first TKR. She said when I eventually return to work she will make a point of meeting me to go back in which I thought was very kind. I've been told that it will be a phased return, and then back to normal hours after a few weeks.

I think yesterday I just got over anxious and upset over the pain, which in the end did not turn out to be an issue in the night. Yes it was aching but it wasn't bad enough for breakthrough medication. Thats a really positive sign

Thanks for your support. It's nice you're still around x x
 
That sounds so good. Great that you are getting over a bad session and moving onwards.
I really think we are both on our way now, as you say, back to a normal life with our four new knees!
 
I'm glad the pain turned out to not be as bad as you feared. I hope you reach a satisfactory understanding with your PT when you talk to her on Tuesday. Maybe you did need a push, but it seemed a little excessive.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
I'm glad you're feeling better than you expected. The kindest interpretation is that this PT has a listening problem. I can see why she would want to see you try the stairs--sometimes people (me :wink: ) have a bit of a fear of doing the steps at first. *Except* you and your husband both said you have been doing steps, but that you have pain when doing them. Grrr.

I'm glad you at least got some fresh air and sun at your doorway if nothing else.
 
Make that 5 goin on 6 knees. We all are in this together. Ups and downs. Xxxx


FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015
 
Hi Anne you are allowed to be scared I am of falling on that knee don't second guess yourself it is your body and you know what's best for it it is bullying for anyone to try and tell you different to what you feel just believe in yourself hugs sue


20/01/2015
 
Nana I hope your having a good evening. It's 7:04 pm here. I hope when you have you talk with her. Things Change and she does better to you.

For one cuz u trusted her. And she knew you was having problems. Point it out in being assertive.

Because she needs to know she hurt you and your feelings. And she knew your limits. It was wrong. It still hurts my feelings that you was done that way...

You as well as me is trying to do what's right for this recovery, to make your self be able to get back to life. With out having pain. It's hard to get back to life when we are put down and pushed to hard.

I'm praying for ya.


FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015
 
Hi @Nana moon 27
It was great to read your thoughts about work and how you will manage it. What a leap forward. You are so going to get there. Yipee!
 
Its good to do loads of wee mini risk assessment in our daily challenges. But remember as you would have taught your students its to ensure no damage occurs not to predict it will go wrong. But hey doing well girl megga hugs

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Hi @Nana moon 27
Morning, hope you have a better day today. You are really only a month out so doing well.

I think anxiety does help to bring on pain and you probably worry about the physio sessions a bit, even more after your experience yesterday and then muscles tense etc, etc. I know you enjoyed water therapy before and your scar will be healed up now so would that help at all if you can get some sessions? At least it would be gentle exercise for you, get you out of the house etc. :friends: (The physio sounds very bossy by the way) you'd be better just trying the stairs for yourself with someone you trust encouraging you. Then you could do it at your own pace. It will happen.
 
I think you are right I need to adjust my meds or perhaps take a breakthrough dose just before she comes as that would see me through after. Good idea. Thank you for making me think. Sometimes this is what I need.
Ann, we don't usually recommend taking meds especially for PT, because that can tend to mask the pain - and pain is a warning sign.

I think what you need to do is somehow adjust your medication schedule, so that your pain relief is covered during your PT session and you are not due for another dose during or soon after your PT session. For example, if you are on a 4-hourly schedule, have it so that you take medication about an hour before your PT session, and will be covered by that. Don't take a top up dose just before PT.
 
That is true. I usually take it before hand. And after it's over the Meds work. I often fill it during sessions. But I don't let them hurt me. Think they glad when I leave. ;;-) big hugs.


I hope today is better for ya. And Ya get rest.


FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015
 
Thank you @Celle for the advice. I'm very confused as to what is right or wrong at the minute x I agree with you about the pain warning.

I've done a few extra normal things today. I tidied the living room, made hubby a cup of tea in the kitchen while I was doing my sink exercises, I put some washing in the machine. I've had a strip wash and done my teeth. I've spoken to my GP about my medication. He wasn't happy about me taking quinine for restless legs the hospital provided. I'd almost run out but he said he'd be happier if I didn't take it. I explained how since having the quinine I've stopped twitching and I'm sleeping better. I explained what happened in the hospital when each time the twitch happened my muscle would go into spasm and the joint felt like it was being wrenched apart and that the consultant had witnessed it. He agreed to provide the quinine but said he'd be happier if I could have done without it as it's yet another toxin in my body. I said well what do I need to look out for then in that case. He said oh nothing. What a contradiction! I also phoned the hospital as I had an appointment, with their physio before my home one is finished. Luckily they changes it and doubke lucky it's an hour after I see the consultant on the same day x

Im resting, icing and elevating

Love Ann x x x
 
It's so nice to be able to do "normal" things. You advocated very well for yourself with your GP. Well done.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom