TKR Nana Moon's Shiny New Second Knee

Don't worry about trying to strengthen your knee yet, Ann. Get rid of that swelling and let the knee heal first. Strengthening comes after healing, although you will spontaneously recover some strength as you move around anyway.
 
@Nana moon 27 I am wishing you a good evening and a great day tomorrow!! I am winding down towards the date for my BTKR and it is your strength that I will need to remember when it is my turn. I am cheering for you all the way across the pond!!! I hope you can hear me!!! :yay::happydance::yes!::flwrysmile:
 
I did not "do" stairs for a few months -- none in our house and very few in the community. My BIG suggestion is to stay downstairs, have daughter wash your hair, and deal with a quick wash at the sink. You can always create a "camping shower" in the kitchen or downstairs loo! LOL..Anything to get off those stairs.....
 
I'm inclined to agree with Chihuahuan. Those stairs of yours are a nightmare - with or without the new railing.

Until your knee settles down a bit, try to stay downstairs, or just have a shower once a week. The sky won't fall!
Have a wash at the sink downstairs - have a chair set in front of it, so that you can sit down and take rests.

I well remember as a child and into my 20s that we only had a bath once a week (no showers in those days). The rest of the time, we had daily strip washes at the sink, and we weren't smelly or dirty. We washed our hair under the kitchen tap.
 
Oh you've all made me feel so much better again.

@Chihuahuan @Celle those stairs are the proverbial nuisance being polite!!! You remember the trouble I had before, he first time around. I was okay until the physio started me on them. And tbh if I lived in a bungalow or apartment there'd be no stairs. That brings me to the six million dollar question..why am I allowing myself to be pushed. Food for thought. I will not let the physio make me do anything that hurts my knee. I don't mind uncomfortable but not painful.

Thanks very much for making me think straight again. I did manage a nice sleep this afternoon x

Granddaughter and her best friend here and I've done nothing but laugh. They're like a comedy act.

Once again thanks again. Back on track and ready to roll x

Love Nana moon 27 xxx
 
Your comment about having a lot of pain when you come down the stairs made me think, Ann. Do you have this same pain when you stand on your operated leg? I mean, if you're standing on the floor, holding onto a chair or the counter and lift your unoperated let to stand on the latest TKR, is there pain?
 
This is about the time I really appreciated my home health PT person massaging my leg. What she did was gently but firmly press against the skin and push up from the ankle toward the knee. I sometimes experienced mild discomfort, but it was also what my knee/leg was asking for. I suspect this helped the leg move some of the excess fluid up into my main body where it could process it. I did a little of this myself to ease tight spots as I could reach them.
 
Don't worry Ann :) Remember, this is a roller coaster ride of a recovery. No two days are the same and today may not necessarily be better than yesterday but it doesn't mean anything is wrong. It sounds like you might be experiencing some extra swelling which will definitely inhibit your ROM. Try and take as much time as you can to properly elevate and ice. It will get better, I promise.


**These words of wisdom were written for you by someone who is now 11 months and 8 months post TKR(s) and who is sitting here with suddenly swollen and somewhat painful knees today. It happens :) **
 
@Jamie yes there is pain but not as bad when I try to put op leg first down on stairs. Definitely avoiding them for a while longer x

@gr82cu2 thank you for that. I hope you're doing okay. I'm sorry you're having an off one too x

@kate23 @PolarBear60 thank you. I do massage around the scar and rock hard areas in small circular movements. My physio does not touch my leg other than support it under the ankle up into a seated leg raise and slowly removes it x

@iivesfam5 not long to your BKTR. You will be fine and honestly so well informed, you will be doing so well. We will all be here to support you x
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @Nana moon 27
Avoid the stairs for as long as you can, says the wise woman who fell down them yesterday !!!

A minute ago I was reading nana757 post and i thought it was you talking about your next op!! My head is not with it today.
 
Yes that's a dreadful place to break your foot. I've heard it's very painful xxx
 
If there is pain just standing on the operated leg on a flat surface, I agree that you do need to minimize trips up and down those stairs. When you do get to a point of trying them again, be sure you're not bending forward with your body. Stand straight, look straight ahead as much as possible and keep your operated leg as straight as possible. If you allow your body to extend out beyond your knee, it puts more pressure on the joint.
 
All good advise knee bends need to be controlled and not weight bearing at this point.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Its good that you don't want physio pain! I wouldn't either.
Is there a way to ask your physio to be more proactive in helping your knee and giving you confidence and encouragement?
I changed my physio because the first one was not so great. Best thing I could have done!
 
Hey chick. I hope you're doing okay and was able to get some rest. I hope your pain is subsiding each day. I hope you can get more out of results was physical therapy. I know it's difficult. Think of the fun u have after healed. Xxx


FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015
 
I think moving around is ok--back and forth to the bathroom, walking around for a few minutes a couple of times a day, but it may be that until your swelling goes down you just won't be able to do much with the heel slides.
I always used an extra pillow with the recliner and I actually found I did "real" elevation much better on the bed with my crazy system of pillows. :)
 
As for the PT well she said there is no swelling. She didn't touch it she just looked. I said it feels like the swelling is trapped inside it's rock hard and I can't bend the knee or straighten it properly. And it's definitely swollen above the knee. She just looked at me.

We went into the kitchen to my upright chair. She insisted I did a leg raise. I explained it had taken me all day to get the pain under control. She said I need to see you do a leg raise seated. As I lifted the leg a little and it was a major struggle, that pain went straight through my quad into my knee. Ok she said. Then she said I want to see you do stairs. I told her I didn't want to do it. My husband chipped in and told her I'd been up for a shower and she was really pleased. He omitted to tell her about the two days and nights pain afterwards. I told her.

Anyway she insisted I did the stairs. By now I was so upset. I said the issue is not going up so much as going down. Then I'm going to be in pain and it takes so long to get on top of it. She was insistent then hubby said oh just do it. So I got up halfway and said I needed to come downstairs. No she said. I want you to get up to the bathroom. By now I'm getting really upset inside. I got up to the bathroom. She asked where my bedroom was and suggested I sat on the edge of the bed. I sat exhausted and upset.

After five minutes she said right downstairs now. I hobbled off my bed. When I got to the top of the stairs she took the crutches and suggested I turned my lead bad leg foot sideways on each stair as I went down. We got down four and that white hot pain shot through my knee and made me shake. She asked me if I was anxious I said no it's the pain. Hubby then made it his business to tell her I'm being treated for anxiety/depression. I said again it's pain not anxiety making me shake. I got down the last few stairs then burst into tears with the pain. I got my crutches sat in the chair in the kitchen. By now her judge and jury were out. "I think this is your anxiety causing this problem with the stairs." I said I was in extreme pain not anxiety although the distress from the pain was upsetting me. I burst into tears. I felt useless.

She tried to say I was doing really well but I didn't feel like that. Her last visit is next week. If I had stair anxiety I would never have braved it for a shower during the week.

I'm a bit tired tonight and need to deal with the pain now.

I'll be bouncing back tomorrow. Never mind.

Love Nana moon 27 x
 
@Nana moon 27.... You win the prize in having an A#1beast for a PT!!! I am so sorry you had to go through all that. I, too have a pretty aggressive output PT, but I told her I prefer her not to bend my knee, that I can do that on my own when it is ready. She hates me, but I really don't give a hoot. It is my knee, I know what it can and cannot do, and right now it can only have an ROM of 95 and that's it. She should have listened to you and not have made you do things you were not ready for. Oh, ice and elevate my friend... and take those pain meds round the clock. And if I were you I would call to have a less aggressive therapist to my house next time. I will pray you have a nice, pain free night Ann... I am so sorry you had to go through that....
 
Back
Top Bottom