Guest viewing is limited

TKR Nana Moon's Shiny New Second Knee

Glad things are going well. Don't be scared of retirement. Since I retired I can't remember how I ever had time to work. Life is a gift & I just go all the time. Catching up on volunteering, helping friends, lots of time with the Grandkids & even lots of time for myself. I even got to climb a six story observation tower with my new knee last week. No problem. The sad part about growing old is so many friends passing away. I was spending a day a week with a friend who had Brain Cancer. He wanted to die at home & his wife was so stressed. At first we could go for lunch & do things but the Cancer was eating him up. I'm so glad I got to spend the time with him & take some pressure off his wife. His Funeral was today. Second Funeral in two weeks. I am so fortunate I don't think I could ever complain again. Rest up & keep kicking.
 
@ironman60 my sincerest condolences about your friend. That's so awfully sad but like you say we should count our blessings and enjoy life x thank you for that x I'm glad that you are doing so well considering what you got up to during your recovery with that truck of yours :shocked:Jumping off it into a log pile is not really recommended.

I've had a good few hours sleep last night. It's 4.50 am and I'm wide awake. I've taken no pain medication in the night at all. Just got up and walked to kitchen on my crutches, yes there's stiffness but no all consuming pain and best of all, no bone on bone pain.

Heel slides are still nigh on Impossible to do. I can only move foot 2" at most. Leg raises seated are possible now. I am being patient because I was warned by the OS after surgery, that it may be a slow recovery. So yes I'm being patient but oh the frustration is there x

Take care
Love Nana moon 27 x
 
Heel slides are still nigh on Impossible to do. I can only move foot 2" at most. Leg raises seated are possible now. I am being patient because I was warned by the OS after surgery, that it may be a slow recovery.
The bend will come, Ann.
Keep working at Rest, Ice and Elevation, to reduce the swelling and the bend will come back, as you know.

I'm glad your surgeon warned you to expect a slow recovery, but I sympathise with the frustration.

In the race between the tortoise and the hare, the tortoise won, because he kept making slow progress. You're going to be the tortoise and you're going to win, too! :flwrysmile: :flwrysmile:
 
Thank you @Celle and this is one very determined tortoise. I fell back to sleep this morning and woke up in pain. I looked at the clock I was two hours overdue for pain meds. I've taken them. I'm resting, icing and elevating, until it eases up enough to move around and do a little exercise, just walking with the crutches and then see what else if I can. I'm not wrecking what I've already achieved xx
 
I like the image of a tortoise when I was taking it slowly my image of my self was "a lump" much better to be a tortoise @Nana moon 27 x
 
Hello Ann, so pleased you're making progress and keeping your spirits up. What lovely daughters.
Thinking of you,
Sue xx
 
Hello I hope today is pain free for you. I hope all the pain lets up. I know it can be frustrating. Lord know I get it a lot. But we are all in this together. Take care my friend. Xxxx


FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015
 
Advice is needed please.

My rom is getting worse, both ways. I did three seated leg raises with a struggle. I did my rocking from one foot to the other standing at the sink, I found that hard, I don't normally. I did 5 stairs up and down and that was not so easy today. I walked several times around the house on my crutches. That wasn't too bad.

The joint itself is rock hard like a piece of concrete. It is very stiff. I'm going to top up pain med to see if that will help.

Any advice would be welcome xxx
 
I did three seated leg raises with a struggle. I did my rocking from one foot to the other standing at the sink, I found that hard, I don't normally. I did 5 stairs up and down and that was not so easy today. I walked several times around the house on my crutches. That wasn't too bad.
So stop doing them! It's obvious that your knee isn't ready for them yet. They're not necessary anyway.

All you need to do is a few heel slides (how are you trying to do these?) and a bit of walking. For the rest, just walking around a bit is enough.
Heel slides and how to do them Find the way that's easiest for you, and just try that way. You don't have to try every single way.

The swelling seems to be your main problem, so concentrate on reducing that. Your knee can't bend while the swelling is stopping it. Remember to - rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock.

You do remember that you can't make your ROM improve by working hard at it, don't you?

HUGS!
 
Sorry @Celle

These are the exercises the home physio has me do. She tells me to try to do them every day. As regards heel slides they are my biggest problem. I cannot my my heel more than an inch towards my bottom, it is the same when I try to do the heel slide from the chair. I get barely an inch. I've kept on doing these every day since I was in hospital and then came home.

My OS has sent me an early appointment beginning of July due to the rom issue on discharge.

I've taken my top up med. I'm icing and elevating. I think I needed reminding. Going to try to nap now. Hubby's gone shopping and I've got the house to myself x x x

Thank you for you help Celle x
 
Glad your knee is like a rock because so is mine!
I don't get on well with heel slides either and I didn't the last time round (big ouch!) so I roll up some pillows into a pile and pop them under my knees and find my new knee leg dangles and gravity helps it bend a tiny amount more each day. Thats got me from 50 to 62 in four days. Its not a great bend but I know it will slowly but surely improve.
Also I remember the physio last time sat me on the edge of the table and got me to gently swing my leg. That helped and was better than the awful uncomfortable heel slides.
Im still icing and elevating but avoiding the kitchen sink like the plague!
 
No worries. Girl still early days. I have Faith you can do it. In still stiff to. And I struggle with bend.

Praying for ya.


FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015
 
Ann, you mention doing these exercises and going up and down the stairs. But, my guess is that you are also doing more throughout the day as well. What about time spent with personal grooming? Showering? Getting something to eat or drink? A little tidying up? Visiting with friends or family?

All of this counts in your level of activity. Your "rock hard" knee is swollen and that means you're likely not resting/icing/elevating as much as needed right now. Even sitting in a chair for extended periods may cause you problems because your leg is down and not elevated. I'm not saying don't do these things....just be mindful of how much time you're spending with your leg in a position that can promote swelling. If you're swollen, you need to pull back on the activity.
 
It also maybe that you are not elevating well in the recliner. I used to add in extra pillows so that my knee was elevated correctly. If I remember correctly it's feet above heart.....
 
All I'm saying, Ann, is cut back on those exercises for a while. They won't do any good while your knee is so hard and swollen. Give your knee a rest.

I'm sure you've read Josephine's advice, that once you can do straight leg raises you don't need to do them any more. There's nothing to lose if you stop doing the others for a day or two, as well.
 
@Chihuahuan that's what I've had to do. I have two but I'm looking at leg position, you're right I need to add extra pillows. Thanks for the reminder. Lovely to hear from you. I hope all is well with you?

@Jamie I have rested this afternoon, iced and elevated. I will walk round and potter about for exercise. As for activity, I'd been doing the physio exercises, tidying round a little. I can go upstairs but it's hard. The biggest problem arises when I come down. The pain rips through my knee as I lead with it, down after a few stairs. I was so desperate for a shower than a strip wash, I've done that twice in four days. Both times I've paid for it with severe pain and had to take extra meds.

I am ok in myself. I think this is just a bit of an off day but I'm coping. I needed some reminders and thank you x

@Angel1978 you're right. It is early days. My granddaughters on her way in a minute. She's fetching her best friend. We have a good time together chatting.

Anyway I'm ok. I've done this before and I'm going to kick this recovery into touch, even if it has to be slow.

Take care
Love Ann x x x
 
@Celle yes I do need to cut back on them. I was saying to my husband earlier that I felt I was doing more harm than good. It's a strange sensation. So yes I think I've been overdoing it. My biggest problem is that I'm scared that if I don't move around regularly and try to strengthen it, I'm going to end up like the last recovery. I know I should not compare. I just want to get better. Mentally, I feel wonderful and in the right mindset to get well and get my life back.

Thanks for getting back to me. I do appreciate it xxx
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom