THR Nana has Landed on the Other Side

It seems most everyone I talk to remarks, "You're getting better everyday?" .... Hmmm, I don't think so. I have better (or worse) days than others - but overall, from weekend to weekend, I can see vast improvement. I can actually walk without my crutch for short distances ... I get by with only one AS8HrTylenol at night and have totally skipped the afternoon dose a time or two.
"There ain't no stopping us now....we're on the move, we've got the groove.":egypdance:
 
Hi
Thanks for the update, @NanaMama
Another enjoyable read. You sound well.
Hope your week is both peaceful and wonderful!
 
NanaMama here... (Live ... not Memorex or one of my FB Post Op updates). Feeling blue today and it isn't even Monday... or raining. I almost sat down on the toilet seat without the riser (DH had taken it upstairs 'for the day' before leaving for work... and I was just 'waking up' when I went into the basement bathroom). I realized it (probably) a few inches from the seat and caught myself with the wall and shower. :scare:My hip has hurt since but I'm not sure if I did something to it (legitimate pain) or if I just scared myself (pseudo pain?). Or maybe I pulled something in my back when I 'caught' myself.

Thinking about trying to transition to a cane from my crutch. Seems iffy. I'm starting my 4th week of post-op... is there a guideline for walking aids?

Suppose to be 58 degrees here today. Would be good to "get outside" ... perhaps it would lift my spirits? OK ... going to get some ice and contemplate my day. Hope you all have a good one. (Yesterday's FB Update to follow shortly.
Love,
NanaMama
 
Hi @NanaMama
Sorry you're feeling kind of blue.
You bring us sunshine and cheer so now we need to bring you some.
First off....You're loved! :loveshwr: Sending a warm comforting hug your way :console2:

You wormed your way into our hearts with your daily journaling.
You now have direction for a new career path even if it's not your main source of income.
Please research it. You have a God given talent to touch others and what better way to earn an income than doing something you enjoy and are good at!

Try icing where you are sore and I'll bet it's gone in a day or two. I fell onto the toilet yesterday...
seat up!! I'm such a dork. I put the toilet seat up in the Master to remind my self to clean it later on.
Well..I was zipping around in a hurry to do something, obviously pre-occupied, stopped to go to the bathroom and went crashing down on the toilet rim! Almost scared the you know what out of me! Didn't feel very good either!

I think you will know when to transition to the cane. I believe it's different for everyone. I never used crutches only because I tried them and they felt awkward to me. I transited from walker to cane.

Fifty Eight degrees sounds wonderful!
I think getting outside into nature and hopefully some sunshine may be just what the doctor ordered today.
Prayers your day becomes brighter....I have faith that it will. :yes: :SUNsmile:
 
Post Op Day 20 (Monday): If you've spent much time in the software world... you're familiar with the bandaid remedy (for something that's not working) called 'the work around'. You can call a support line and tell them you're trying a process but it's not working or if it is... you are not getting the desired results. Support Line: "Yes, we are aware of that problem and it's currently being worked on... but I can suggest to you, a 'work around.' ..." Ahhh yes. the 'Blessed Work Around' Pay close attention folks... as the W.A. will allow you to get the job done - just not as simply or as quickly as you normally would... which brings me to today's topic: Recovery Work Arounds

1.) Do you recall my quandary getting Ginger on the tie-out leash? She's a little on the short side and it is impossible to get her on the leash without bending over (and breaking) the 90 degree rule.

RWA: If I pull out a dining room chair and put a treat on it... Sweet Ginger will place both paws on the chair as she reaches with her mouth for the treat. I am ready and waiting with the tie out leash and need only reach down (45 degrees at most) for her collar, to attach the line. Out she goes (through the deck door) only to return a few minutes later to get another treat and be disconnected.

2.) Although we have three bathrooms in our home... there is typically one 'storage' area for the big plastic wrapped bundle of toilet paper and that would be in the 2nd floor closet. I had recently mentioned we were nearly out of toilet paper in the 1st floor bathroom ... but either no one heard the memo or didn't take it seriously. Today I found myself at the mercy of a box of tissue.

RWA: When going up or down stairs, it is usually just 'my crutch and me'. If I have on a robe, apron or clothing with a pocket, my phone can accompany us. I have no pockets large enough, in which to fit a double sized roll of 2 ply. But I had to try. Now, it was hard enough to snag the top of the plastic wrap to allow 3 new rolls to escape from the closet. Once free, however... it was simply a matter of kicking those suckers down the stairway. The crutch and I were right behind them.... and upon reaching the bottom, I made a relay back and forth from the stairway to the main level bathroom - holding fast to each roll with my trusty grabber. As I walked, secured to my crutch on the left side, I held the coveted roll of TP, up like the American Flag with my grabber clutched right hand ... (only it looked a lot like a giant marshmallow, about to be roasted over a bonfire).

3.) In anticipation of the surgery, we rolled up the area rug that covers the laminate flooring in our living room. Area rugs lurk in the homes of the infirm.... waiting to snag a leg of their walker, cane or crutch and send them spiraling. That's the rug's evil side... the rug's nice side is, it collects (and to a degree) conceals, all sort of debris which falls and sticks to it. Not so the laminate... which proudly announces all the dust, crumbs, and sightly specks of stuff that fall upon it.

RWA: My crutch has been my best friend now for a couple weeks - and yesterday, I discovered another use for it. You see.... if you take a towel and tie it around the cushioned top of the crutch - then up-end it to 'sweeping' position... you have yourself a handy DIY Swiffer. It moves easily about the room and under furniture. It allows "the infirm" to maintain their balance... because after all.... it IS a crutch, .... or is it a Swiffer?! **Mind Blown**

Tune in tomorrow folks, you never know when you are going to learn something that may prove invaluable to you someday.
[Bonesmart.org] Nana has Landed on the Other Side
Thank You for praying for me.
[Bonesmart.org] Nana has Landed on the Other Side
 
I sat down on the lower commode in the house by accident and honestly didn't think I could get back up!:heehee: You get so used to the riser one!

Yes, it's good for the psyche to go outside, even just sitting in the fresh air for awhile. I've become a front porch sitter talking to all the passersby that walk their dogs. I even have an extra chair for anyone that wants to 'sit a spell'. And don't underestimate "chair travel"....with a tablet and youtube you can explore just about anywhere in the world !
:capn::biking::driver::hiking::hog:
 
While I love your work arounds, consider a tote bag or backpack. I used a tote bag from day 1 to carry the motor for the pneumatic compression cuffs when I walked around, as well as to carry ice bags, sealed drinks, food, etc. back and forth.
 
@Layla - Having raised three boys.... I've taken the plunge a time or two myself... glad they (my boys) are no longer current residents at the homestead. I can't believe I came so close to calamity this morning.

@Bumblebee - I know you are in Cali.... though not sure where exactly. Here in the Hawkeye state.... we don't get the outside chairs out till we're fairly certain there'll be no more snow. I'm excited to think that in a few more weeks (beyond the snow possibility) I should be much more mobile and ready to spend time in them.

@SaraK - You had a motor for your compression cuffs?? Mine had rechargeable batteries with on/off buttons ... I typically let the batteries just run down. I've heard of others using a backpack or walker tray. I was lucky the first week to have DH here to be my cabana boy! Since moving to the crutch I've had a spare right hand!
 
Well, I considered it the "motor.". It plugged into the outlet (I was supposed to keep it plugged in when not going anywhere) and then had hoses that connected to the cuffs. The motor part had the rechargeable battery inside it. It was about 4 inches square and probably weighed a pound or 2. That and the charge cord were the only parts I had to return when done with it.

I guess I must have my boys trained well. In addition to my bathroom that they're not allowed to use, they've been taught, under penalty of death, to lower the lid when they're done. I always told them that, with my tiny bladder, I used it more often than them and, given their aim, they're the only ones that should have to touch the lid. :heehee:
 
I guess I must have my boys trained well. In addition to my bathroom that they're not allowed to use, they've been taught, under penalty of death, to lower the lid when they're done. I always told them that, with my tiny bladder, I used it more often than them and, given their aim, they're the only ones that should have to touch the lid. :heehee:

@SaraK - I had two signs (at two different times) above the main level toilet.... One said, "If you sprinkle, when you tinkle, please be neat and wipe the seat" - the other, "We aim to please... You aim too, please"
 
Well, I considered it the "motor.". It plugged into the outlet (I was supposed to keep it plugged in when not going anywhere) and then had hoses that connected to the cuffs. The motor part had the rechargeable battery inside it. It was about 4 inches square and probably weighed a pound or 2. That and the charge cord were the only parts I had to return when done with it.
@SaraK - my battery packs are attached to the cuffs, I would plug them in over night (cord plugged into battery packs) while I slept, then the batteries lasted 6-8 hrs. They are only the size of a pack of cigarettes.... and there was an on/off button of them. I have a feeling I own mine now - no directives to send anything back. :sigh:
 
Last edited:
Post Op Day 21 (Tuesday): My day wasn't all that exciting. Not that any of my days could truly be described as exciting - but 'today' was even less so. I did enjoy a visit (as in face to face) with a good friend and some 'virtual chats' with a few others, as the day went on. Ginger gave me no grief. (Always a plus)

I mentioned previously that I'd staged a boycott of my TEDs late last week. After three days "TED Free", Sunday morning, Dan once again pried them onto my body.
[Bonesmart.org] Nana has Landed on the Other Side
I'm supposed to wear them for 6 weeks (3 down, 3 to go). While we were in the kitchen this evening, I must have made mention of my morning shower. Dan stops, looks at me and says,

"Wait... How'd you get your TEDs off and back on?"
[Bonesmart.org] Nana has Landed on the Other Side

I just smiled.
"You showered with them on, didn't you?"
[Bonesmart.org] Nana has Landed on the Other Side

"Why yes... Yes I did. And then I used the hair dryer to get them dry"

You see, there is usually more than one way to get where you are going. I took the road less traveled but it was definitely an easier journey. (Recovery Work Around? Brilliant Mind? Too Dang Lazy? All of the Above?) Bottom line: Body washed, Hair shampoo'd, TEDs clean and exactly where they belong.

[Bonesmart.org] Nana has Landed on the Other Side
I appreciate your prayers everyday
[Bonesmart.org] Nana has Landed on the Other Side
 
You've no doubt heard the maxim that "necessity is the mother of invention." My corollary is "laziness is the mother of efficiency." And boy am I efficient!
 
Will soon be one month...you've done splendidly.
This recovery stuff is tough going at times, but the payoff is well worth it!
Wishing you a great weekend.
 
Post Op Day 22 (Wednesday) Day 22 found me debating the move from crutch to cane. Having recently extolled the attributes of my crutch, a mere two days ago, am I really ready to kick it to the curb in favor of this wimpy piece of pipe? I guarantee the cane will never double as a Swiffer.

My crutch has been a splint for three-quarters of my body. It has been "by my side" (when upright) literally since the beginning of post op week 2. Fortunately... I had two of them, so although I only used one at a time ... I always had a spare. If one crashed to the floor, I could depend on "Thing 2" The crutch was a potential weapon (not that I needed one, but its threat empowered me.) Ginger respected my crutch.... she'll laugh at my cane.

Yes... the cane. One of two left in our household from NanaMama's Mama's time here. We actually had three, but I gave away the one she used most - the one with the quad base for better balance. The one I contemplate using is bronze. It's handle doesn't resemble a candy cane, but more a 'less than' sign. It's rubber covered handle sports a tassel at its end, reminding me of the tricycles from my childhood. I suppose the tassel (unlike my tricycle's) is to loop over your wrist. I choose to walk un-tethered. Whereas the crutch made me feel like an injured athlete... the cane makes me feel elderly. So even if the progression of recovery says 'the cane is a sign of improvement' - the 'next step' to walking on just my two legs and a new hip.... it's breaking my heart.

My mother will be gone 7 years next week. If someone can be both frail and feisty... it was her, in her last years. She lived with us for 51 weeks before moving to a care center her last seven. Her presence here was an unexpected mix of love, laughter, music and yes, feisty. We took care of her... it was an adventure and often times more than we bargained for - but a ride we took with no regrets. As I recover from this surgery, I sit in 'her chair'... Dan and I currently sleep in 'her bedroom'.... now I'm using 'her cane'.

They say we grow into the likeness of our parents - I'm visualizing Mom after her knee replacements when she (post cane) once again left me in the dust. For at least another ten years, she was a force. I've never been a force. I'm rarely feisty (ok, the family may beg to differ). Oh Mom... how I wish you were here. I would love to listen to Lawrence Welk with you, or reminisce about days gone by ... or talk about things you imagined.

Sometimes recovery offers too much time to think. And sometimes "things" offer memories we hadn't planned to recall. Bottom line - I am moving forward with my recuperation... no longer with an 'in line' splint... but with my Mama at my side. Since I seem to be a puddle these days, I can only hope she left a little bit of feisty in that cane
[Bonesmart.org] Nana has Landed on the Other Side
 
I found the cane liberating after using the walker! Forget about the old age and cane comparison, it's a tool to get us one step closer to freedom walking! You can do this. Make mom proud. CANES make a great hubby poker stick as well. :loll:
 
Back
Top Bottom